“UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT & REFURBISHED”
Review of The Priory Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Croyde
The Priory Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Croyde
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The rooms have all been refurbished to a high standard by the current owners and are kept in a good clean order. The Check-in staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts from 8.30-12noon which you have in The Thatch were excellent with a good choice. The location is in the centre of Croyde village, opposite The Thatch, but still in a great quiet location with ample parking. We had a great time, we would recommend and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 June 2011

Oh dear, I wish I had looked on trip advisor before staying here. The proprieter hates his guests! Why offer accommodation if no ones welcome. Good location but recommend the various opportunities to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Lorraine P
A TripAdvisor Member
u.k
Reviewed 6 July 2006

Lovely place Croyde but marred by our stay in this place with sarcastic attitude of proprietor and having to return our dinner back in various stages because it was not cooked properly.
This culminated into a cheese board at the end which was tiny portions and dirty! this was our first night!
We duly had our breakfasts and dinners across the road from that point onwards.
Normally would have walked out but we were treated by parents, who did not want any fuss, and young children.
During our stay we had to call an ambulance for our youngest which turned out to be a false alarm but no concern was shown by our hosts.
There was also an issue with a dangerous window next to childrens bed in so much that we could not lock it as there was a sheer drop to outside from it - despite assurance that the right key would be found - nothing availed.
I have stayed in many hotels/guest houses but have not encountered such off hand attitudes as this.
I notice other interesting comments on this place and my comment would also be - 'keep away from this establishment' find some where else.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 June 2006

I'm a big fan of Trip Advisor, and I've only ignored reviews twice - both times I've ended up with bad stay. B&Bs are excellent as more often than not you find an absolute gem with excellent service and lovely rooms. Staying at St. Helen's Priory was the first time I've found a genuinely nasty man.

Our friends were staying over the road - they had a problem with their room so came to ours to sort themselves out for 20mins. The manager heard this and aggressively asked us to get rid of them, which we did promptly. We thought the "conversation" was strange at the time, but respected his wishes.

The following morning when we were checking out, he exploded. It ended up with him saying he'd take an additional £20 of our credit card whether we authorised the transaction or not. Having asked why £20 as this seemed steep (why not £50 we sarcastically asked) he said, "OK, it's £50". Needless to say his tone and aggression never dropped. We paid the money to leave as quickly as possible.

The rooms are superficially clean but dated -plenty of cob-webs in the bathroom. Breakfast is only served in a half hour slot which reflects the quality of service, but was fine. But for £75 a night, or any money come to think of it, I would never, ever stay here again. I never expect to be shouted at by accommodation staff. Equally, I don't appreciate being held to ransom by someone I'm paying for a service from and certainly feel uncomfortable with this man having my credit card details. All we wanted was somewhere peaceful to stay for a night and have some breakfast.

Croyde is a lovely place and there are plenty of excellent B&Bs with helpful, friendly owners. Don't let this place and its owner ruin your stay is it did to ours. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 8 December 2005

For £65 a night, a typical Croyde B&B cost, this was a bit rough and ready for my liking. There was a carpeted (not very clean carpet at that) bathroom, very 1970's. Room was small and a bit stale, the bed damp. I know its December but put the heating on even when there is no guests!! Breakfast was Ok, typical English breakfast no more than that. This is not a "hotel" more a 1* B&B. Croyde is lovely, but most of the B&B's in this price range seem to be old and dated. This place needs brought into this century. Its main positive for me was its situation and free parking.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank shelly2202
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croyde
Saunton Sands Hotel
The Fortescue Arms
The Fortescue Arms
#3 of 4 in Woolacombe
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel

Been to The Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!