The Priory Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort(Croyde)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$108
The Fortescue Arms(Woolacombe)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2006

I'm a big fan of Trip Advisor, and I've only ignored reviews twice - both times I've ended up with bad stay. B&Bs are excellent as more often than not you find an absolute gem with excellent service and lovely rooms. Staying at St. Helen's Priory was the first time I've found a genuinely nasty man.

Our friends were staying over the road - they had a problem with their room so came to ours to sort themselves out for 20mins. The manager heard this and aggressively asked us to get rid of them, which we did promptly. We thought the "conversation" was strange at the time, but respected his wishes.

The following morning when we were checking out, he exploded. It ended up with him saying he'd take an additional £20 of our credit card whether we authorised the transaction or not. Having asked why £20 as this seemed steep (why not £50 we sarcastically asked) he said, "OK, it's £50". Needless to say his tone and aggression never dropped. We paid the money to leave as quickly as possible.

The rooms are superficially clean but dated -plenty of cob-webs in the bathroom. Breakfast is only served in a half hour slot which reflects the quality of service, but was fine. But for £75 a night, or any money come to think of it, I would never, ever stay here again. I never expect to be shouted at by accommodation staff. Equally, I don't appreciate being held to ransom by someone I'm paying for a service from and certainly feel uncomfortable with this man having my credit card details. All we wanted was somewhere peaceful to stay for a night and have some breakfast.

Croyde is a lovely place and there are plenty of excellent B&Bs with helpful, friendly owners. Don't let this place and its owner ruin your stay is it did to ours. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 8 December 2005

For £65 a night, a typical Croyde B&B cost, this was a bit rough and ready for my liking. There was a carpeted (not very clean carpet at that) bathroom, very 1970's. Room was small and a bit stale, the bed damp. I know its December but put the heating on even when there is no guests!! Breakfast was Ok, typical English breakfast no more than that. This is not a "hotel" more a 1* B&B. Croyde is lovely, but most of the B&B's in this price range seem to be old and dated. This place needs brought into this century. Its main positive for me was its situation and free parking.

• Stayed: December 2005