“Delicious food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Thatch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
The Thatch
Ranked #5 of 23 Croyde B&B and Inns
London
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

All I need to say is the lasagne is incredible - just what was needed after two nights of camping! Great family atmosphere! Beautiful traditional pub in the centre of croyde village. Gets busy but didn't have to wait too long for food in the bar area

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Called in for dinner on a Thursday evening. Was very busy but no trouble getting a table. Seemed much bigger on the inside than from outside. Good and friendly service. Good variety of specials to choose from. Nice food and cider.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
East Molesey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

... to borrow Charles Dickens' famous quote from a Tale of Two Cities!
Croyde itself is delightful. Still the quintessential English village, complete with thatched roofs and narrow streets, only a stone's throw from fabulous beaches. Great for kids to wander around safely and with a bunch of essential shops and others that its easy to spend money in!

The Thatch seems to own a large amount of available rental accommodation in the village. There is, however, a distinct lack of twin bedded rooms, so whilst I would have preferred to stay 'off site', ~ something I think they would be wise to address ~ my 14 year old son and I weren't about to share a double bed so we had a room above Billy Budd's, the adjacent bar/restaurant to The Thatch

We were going with a larger group of friends who had rented a house off site in the village which was easily to access from the Thatch, being as it is, in the centre of the (very small) village

We arrived Wednesday lunchtime and were warmly welcomed. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast as hearty as you would wish with a good selection. I'm a vegetarian & often struggle with breakfast but porridge was offered as standard and also a veggie breakfast. One morning I went out for an early walk and popped in for a coffee before I woke my son for proper breakfast. I expected to pay but as a resident, this was provided for free and with a smile ~ a lovely touch!

We also had dinner ~ as a large group ~ on Thursday evening. Again both food and service were excellent and the visiting band a high standard and good fun

We were due to leave Saturday but the weather turned & it was only because we'd had a very busy day on Friday that we didn't pack up and leave that evening for the drive back to London, deciding it was better to get a good night's sleep before the journey.
What a mistake that turned out to be!

The 'club' music in Billy Budd's started around 8pm.
It was so loud the floor was actually vibrating. We could hardly hear the TV. We contemplated packing up and leaving but by now it was dark and raining so didn't seem like a good plan.

When it was still going strong after midnight, I telephoned the Thatch. When I eventually got through I was told the music was due to stop at midnight. When I pointed out it was 10 past, I was assured that it would stop. It did but only some 15 minutes later. Then, of course, it took nearly an hour for everyone to leave ~ very noisy and rowdy.

So a terrible night's sleep before a long (6 hour) drive back to London.
I did complain when we checked out but to be honest, the girl who managed the transaction and asked the routine question 'was everything ok with your stay' could not have been less interested. Frankly, I was too tired to take it further at the time and wanted to leave asap but did ask that she get someone to contact me.

No-one did so I emailed explaining what a good time we had enjoyed up until Friday night and got a polite reply apologising and saying a member of management would contact me shortly.
Guess what ~ no further contact!

It was a real shame because the majority of this mini-break was a delight.
I cannot believe any member of staff/management has ever sat in one of these rooms when this music was pumping out! I am guessing that there would have been a repeat performance on the Saturday night.

I guess if you were a surfer dude and down in the bar enjoying the music, it would not have been an issue. However, if anyone was staying with young children or maybe an older couple, it would have been an absolute nightmare. My teenage son & I just yanked up the TV volume and sat it out but it was not a pleasant evening!

We left before the band had finished on the Thursday (they were playing in the Thatch) and although we could still hear the music in our room it wasn't intrusive. This was totally different and really quite unacceptable. You can't have it all ~ either provide music for bar/restaurant visitors or look after your residents, the two cannot live side by side

Therefore, in conclusion, I could only recommend this venue if you stayed off site. For us, that won't be possible in future because of the restricted bed configuration elsewhere ~ shame!

Room Tip: Do not risk on on site room if you want a decent's night sleep!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
1 Thank dolcevita-italia
poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We visit every year and we love it. We come along to every New Years Party which is so much fun. The food is nice & the staff are really cool & It is right by our favourite beach. We would reckonmend a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We went to the Thatch expecting it to be fairly bog standard pub grub, but we're very pleasantly surprised. I'd had a very poor experience earlier this week at another Croyde restaurant which had had far better reviews, so wasn't holding out much hope. The tables are packed in a bit, and the place is clearly very popular. We had to chase someone to take our drinks order, but after that the service was excellent. The food was really good - I had a red pepper houmous which was a bit bland, though a massive portion, then a fish curry which was fabulous, and a treacle tart with clotted cream which was also lovely. The rest of my party all raved about their food as well, including one hard to please veggie. I'd definitely go there again - there's a decent kids menu, and the breakfast menu looks good as well. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Calne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best pubs in Devon! Been here many times now. Food has always been excellent, massive portions, great value for money. Ace location and no matter what time of year we visit there is always a fantastic atmosphere in this pub. Staff always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014
      Location
Angmering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Was travelling down to devon and found the Thatch near where we were staying in Woolacombe. Food was extremely tasty and the staff were excellent great place for all ages to enjoy a good laugh and a great bite to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croyde
Saunton Sands Hotel
Marine Court Hotel
Marine Court Hotel
#1 of 20 in Ilfracombe
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to The Thatch? Share your experiences!