“Great holiday resort for families.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
Parkdean - Ruda Holiday Park
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We visited as three families on caravan touring and camping fields and had a great time. Location is great for beach, Croyde Village (a short walk across the fields) and the NT's Baggy Point.
Facilities are top notch and not too dear, although peak season the showers, toilets etc coped well and no complaints. The club had some dubious acts on in the evening but kids seemed to enjoy themselves.
A little on the expensive side but Ruda's central location saved us £5-£10 a day in car park charges elsewhere.
We asked the three grandchildren if they wanted to go to Spain next year or Croyde and they all voted for the Devon beach holiday.
Just a word of warning the traffic in Braunton is a joke. Long queues and delays throughout the holiday season are unacceptable. If the local council wants the stacation visitors to return they need to do something about this bottleneck.
Note to Ruda management - although good security patrols where in evidence throughout our stay a group of itinerants did slip onto the touring site and pitched up for a free day of surfing and use of the showers etc. They stayed from 1000hrs through to about 2000hrs before slipping away.

Room Tip: Book early for the best pitches
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Coventry-Bob

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have been holidaying in the area for many years and had previously visited Ruda when my eldest son was very small. It was a nice pool, tired and a bit scruffy, quite small considering how busy it can get but was fine for a quick splash with our son. Our sons disability became more pronounced as he got older and last year (2013) when we visited he was a wheelchair user. I knew that there were several steps up to the pool reception but knowing that they have wheelchair accessible holiday units on site that perhaps they had another access for wheelchair users into the pool. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt due to the pool building being a 1960s (probably) building. When I went into the reception, I asked about wheelchair access and the receptionist told me that she would have to ring for one of the lifeguards to come around the back of the pool to meet my son and husband there. So I said fine and this is what happened. The path around to the back of the pool was uneven and mostly laid to grass and then the disabled access to the pool turned out to be the emergency exit which came out on the pool side. My husband wheeled my son around the pool side in full view of everyone and then asked where the disabled changing rooms were? The disabled Toilet (which they saw as a changing room) was down 8 o so steps from the pool side to the same level as the male and female changing rooms. My husband explained that this was not exceptable and had they not heard of the DDA act 2010 and was told they didn't need to comply with the DDA because they were only open 7mths of the year. They said my husband and son could change pool side in full view of everyone! Needless to say it was embarrassing and frustrating our son had been very excited about going swimming, and this had totally ruined all enjoyment of it. We didn't stay long and were given a refund and an offer of free swimming tokens for the rest of our weeks holiday!!! why would we put ourselves through that again? we returned the tickets and were given assurances that these access issues were on radar to be rectified over the coming winter. The Staff knew nothing about anything. If you are not accessible just say so!!!! instead of messing people around. I cant believe that Park Dean have received a Gold Award for their parks for 2013??? When the only mention of Accessibilty on their website is for how accessible the website is!!!!! Wheelchair bookings cannot be made online, I assume so they can answer which parts of their parks are actually accessible, which doesn't appear to be very much. Even the wheelchair space in the car park (one only) was obviously added on as an afterthought and was stuck out on a limb, we should have know then!! But why in this day and age is the onus still on the disabled person to do all the digging? Park Dean, Pull your finger out. These awards should be making you set yourself up as the market leaders not what you are doing which is setting a poor example. Plus think about the massive part of the market you are missing out on. We will not be staying on a Park Dean site ever in future until as a company you sort yourselves out

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 24 August 2014

It was our first time staying here in Ruda and the receptionist was most unhelpful and lacking in the simplest forms of customer service skills. She didn't inform us that because we were early that we couldn't use the apartment parking facilities, so we drove there to park but you needed the fob to get in with the accommodation key! She never gave us a map or advised us on anything.

2  Thank Fiona S
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Ruda Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear about the service that you received from the team. We have shared your comments with the Management Team at Ruda to be aware of and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Chevon

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We camped at the site at the end of August 2014. It is pricey compared to pitching on a basic site although after a couple of days you can see the benefits even if you don't use the holiday park facilities much. The location to the beach is great enabling you to hire surf and body boards and walk down to the shore. The surf school nearby was excellent and got us trying out something we otherwise wouldn't have. All the basics are good such as hot showers plus a useful extras : a fish and chip shop and cafe, wifi access, a well stocked shop. It was busy but the seagulls and crows make up most of the noise. We were lucky with the weather (raining at night and blustery but clear in the day) which helped. We used the swimming pool once (go early) and didn't use the holiday park entertainment.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here from 9th -23rd August. This is our 3rd time here at Ruda we stayed in the Morthoe caravan new for 2014 it was definately the best caravan we stayed in. The rooms were spacious modern with a lovely verandah and double french doors on suite loo off the double bedroom.The only let down was the size of the twin room which was disappointing as the double bedroom was huge in comparision. We were also located on the main road when we asked for a quieter location! Obviously this did not happen. We had to complain as we when we were driving into our accomodation we nearly hit very young skateboarders of course this is not the parks fault as some parents were just letting the children roam free on a main road! We told reception about this a few times and they did nothing which bothered me as it is a child safety issue.The beach speaks for itself breathtaking views set in its own bay with great surf for bodyboarding. The entertainment was great for my girls that are 6 & 7 they love party dances and the parkdean trouper shows we always managed to find seating even though it was busy. The food and drink has definately improved on the park since we were last here and meals were reasonably priced with good portions. Only a 10 minute walk into Croyde village for ice cream and a lovely bakery. The sid n lizzie shop on the park was not very well stocked with kiddies goodies. Overall the holiday park was great for our family and we have rebooked already for next year in the same accomodation.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Beachfam22
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not a fan of holiday parks, I find them too busy and crowded, however Ruda does not have that feeling at all. We stayed in a caravan up near the play area and it was remarkably quiet. We stayed in the area during the end of the storms from the hurricane Bertha and even with bad weather we all had a brilliant time. We didn't use the facilities other than the pool and that is the reason there is 1 star less. The pool really needs a tidy up. There is paint peeling in the pool we went in at the start of day every time but there was sand in the bottom of the pool so it hadn't been properly cleaned. Croyde Bay Beach is lovely really good for body boarding which is why we will be going back next year and we'll be staying in Ruda again.

1  Thank emmaw768
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Few are more qualified to leave a review about Ruda than myself. I have been taking my family to Ruda since the 80s when Rudi and Rose were the mascots. I spoke to the original owner, Mr Paul Richards (I think) a few years before he sold the place.

Ruda was one of the most impressive and clean sites I had ever been to. Over the years I stayed in a Caravan, my own, and a tent and Ruda's caravans. Cleanliness of the place stood out. The staff were terrific and happy, the facilities great and unlike other parks in the area the prices weren't pushed up just because we were holiday makers.

In the 90s we continued to go with a more grown up family and eventually moved to North Devon. I have continued to go to cascades swimming and seen a regular decline in the facilities. Cascades is now an expensive, scruffy, tired swimming pool.

Last night my family and I went to have a look around inside the entertainment block, (no door staff to stop us). Inside the place was horrible. The stage area was untidy and the impression we got was it looked like a 1970s working men's club. The child entertainers amused themselves with private jokes more than the kids. The place seemed old and unfriendly. The mascot now is a seagull erm a bird on any coast that is considered a pest with certainly in North Devon calls for them to be culled. Hardly a loveable friend.

We looked upstairs where they play films for the kids but because all of the blinds were broken I haven't got a clue which film was being shown, I couldn't see it. The restaurant area was dirty will tables not being cleaned and the small child soft play area was unsupervised and taken over by teens.

How sad Parkdene have allowed such a brilliant place to become so old and like any other holiday camp.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank KenDevon

Thank you for your review.

We value your custom and loyalty to Ruda and are genuinely disappointed that you feel standards have fallen below your expectations.

Parkdean strive to maintain high standards across all of our parks and facilities, and are committed to improving through our guest feedback.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your views and we hope to welcome you back to Parkdean in the future.

Kind regards,
Chevon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Croyde
Saunton Sands Hotel
Barnstaple Hotel
Barnstaple Hotel
#3 of 6 in Barnstaple
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to Parkdean - Ruda Holiday Park? Share your experiences!