“Excellent hotel along the coast”
Review of The Seahorse Inn

The Seahorse Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Eden
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent hotel along the coast”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This hotel has been a very positive surprise. The location is quite isolated, you are in the middle of nowhere with no amenities whatsoever, but the hotel bulding is very nicely decorated, the rooms are quite comfortable adn there is a lot of space to rest. The view is beautiful and you are just one minute from the beach. The staff at the reception was ok, but there were not present when we arrived. they really need to correct this! The restaurant was ok but again the staff was not very 'present'. The location, the building, the area have a lot of potential. A pity that the service is not on the same level. Other than that a nice overall experience thanks to the rooms, the view, the quietness...

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GuyVanHooveld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at the Seahorse Inn for 4 nights a the end of our 3-week long honeymoon in Australia and it was a huge disappointment. It's a nice building (historic, by Aussie parameters), in a wonderful location overlooking the beach. The rooms are very nice and the view is great, bathrooms are nice and modern with nice toiletries. That's about where it stops. The staff is rude, no one bothers to say "good morning", "sorry", or "thank you". Reception is always unstaffed and you have to wander through the hotel to find someone. Breakfast is borderline ridiculous, it's sold as "continental" but in fact it is just bread from a packet (they don't even bother taking it out of the packet), cereals in a packet, 2 flavours of yogurt, a bowl of fresh fruit and a very limited choice of jam. Also if you don't get there early (breakfast is served from 7:30 to 9:30, way too early especially during the summer holidays) you'll be left with the crumbs as the stafff doesn't bother replenishing what's been consumed. Breakfast room is also unstaffed, they don't bother asking if you want a hot drink, again you have to wander through the hotel to find someone.

Apparently when we stayed at the beginning of January a new management had just taken over the place and to be honest they should really do something about the way they (don't) look after their guests. No one even ever bothered to ask us if we were having a nice stay, they were completely and utterly uninterested, if not irritated by our presence. A stark contrast with all the lovely hosts we met over the 3 weeks - and we stayed in a whole range of different accommodations, from 4-star hotels to motor lodges to self-catered apartments.

For 200 AUD a night I would have expected a better treatment!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Polpetta1980
Kansas
Reviewed 6 February 2012

A long day of travel from Melbourne preceeded our arrival in Eden. However, at least we had reached the east coast of Australia after a long drive along the southern coast. The sun had just finally given up its last rays and darkness was settling in as I pulled into a gas station for help. I walked in with a travel booklet open to Eden and asked the store clerk and his customer girlfriend (?) for a suggestion- I said we are looking for a nice hotel, on the beach, in town. The customer immediately looked down at my booklet and pointed to the full page ad of the SeaHorse Inn and said this is IT! She added I used to work there and it is the best in town. I said but it is out of town and she said it doesn' matter it is where you want to be- there is nothing really in town and it is wonderful. Wow -- was she right! she immediately told me how to dial on my USA cell phone- 61 2 and local number and told me to ask about food since it was 8:30 Sunday night and nothing was open. I called, they had a room and I held on the phone while the manager asked the chef if if he would hold kitchen till we could get there for food.
The manager- Ashleigh (?) was wonderful and everyone helped us into the room and to a late dinner. We watched the men's final on the bar TV and had a wonderful meal. Room was large, tv, mini bar, coffee and had a beautful South Pacific Ocean View. They were getting ready for a wedding and I noticed it was featured in a regional wedding magazine. Breakfast was included and was great. The Manager helped me with where to go to see koalas and kangaroos in a sanctuary just up the road. It was a great classic hotel, reminded me of some of the great historic classic hotels we have in USA. It was built over 100 years ago by Boyd a businessman and explorer who founded the town. Absolutely, one of the gems and best place we stayed on our trip.....Thanks to the Chef and Manager. Marvelous

Room Tip: Ask for the larger room with sitting area, worth the price.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Narooma, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Attended a wedding there last year, a marvellous place to stay, the rooms were renovated and classy. It is a classic country escape, the staff reflected this in their friendly but proffesional manner. I returned recently and spent the weekend, a new manager has taken over, and a new chef, they are still finding their feet, but i found the staff friendly and willing to assist me with any thing i needed. The beds and rooms are beautiful with balconies overlooking the ocean. there is nothing more pleasant to wake up in the morning to the sound of waves breaking on the shore and birdlife. I would recommend a stay here to anyone who wants a change from town or city life. And it is a marvellous venue for functions with its large lawn stretching down to a pristine beach.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
perth
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Our family stayed at the homestead. The house was not ready at 2pm we had to wait hour and half. After telling reception no, i could not just come back in a while, i have kids wanting to get out and run around. They did offer drinks till the room was ready. Nice!I was a little disappointed for the price I was expecting more... There were definitely lots of beds, but in one of the two showers the screen got stuck, so only children could squeeze through. The water dripped constantly from shower and toilet constantly filling.(annoying at night). The whole place needed a good spring clean. the lounge was stained and laundry dirty. Kitchen was good. The homestead was quiet, surrounded by bush and could hear ocean in mornings.

Room Tip: Would advise you stay at the inn, not the homestead.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mmains
Lakes Entrance, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2012

can you imagine how difficult it is trying to have a relaxing cup of coffee with 3yr old twin boys? My daughter and I stopped at the seahorse in on our way back to Lakes Entrance it was great, warm friendly staff, great coffee, and the little blond haired girl serving us came out with a ball for the boys to play with. Thank you it was great. What a beautiful place we will definately be going back would love to spend a week or two, they have done wonders with the renovations over the last few years, I remember going there years ago it was a run down old ruin now it is first class, nice to see our history being restored would imagine Ben Boyds ghost smiling to see how lovely it is.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I am so glad I found this beautiful place to stay. The room was excellent, the service very warm and friendly, and the food was divine. Will stay again

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed but the Ocean view with balcony is the best
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo