“Fantastic Hospitality”
Review of Emus Beach Resort

Emus Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Emu Park
Reviewed 24 February 2014

As a backpacker traveling with serious food allergies on a Topdeck tour, I was extremely impressed at the lengths that management went to to make sure that those with food allergies on our tour were well looked after. The peace of mind this provided was greatly appreciated, the rooms and bathrooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and I would certainly stay at this accommodation again if presented with the opportunity.

Thanks for a great stay, fantastic meals, and a great time.

Eric from Canada.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 January 2014

1. After reading the other reviews I can say I also found very stinky tea towels that were replaced x 1 immediately; thank you. More clean tea towels is hardly worthy of a complaint, a mere mention only and I will pack my own as we continue to travel, no big deal.

2. The front counter girls are a mixed bag and I can only assume the same unenthused check in lady who came across to me as childlike and I took this as a communication issue found during stays where international workers work! The manager is protective of her staff, but also open to any complaints also mentioned by others. i.e. missing/broken/empty services.

3. Everything is there, I found the place clean and friendly; there is a focus on making international visitors welcome and this rubs off on everyone. Cold beer, nice pool, open ammenities i.e. not too many rules and I was able to sleep and work.

4. This is the only gripe and it is huge and the front counter girls really have an obligation to tell Backpackers that twice a week every week there are other important contracts that fill Emu Park and we had to leave after 6 nights. Why were we offered a weekly rate of 6 nights the 7th free when there will never be a 7th night. I asked if we could leave our things while we stayed elsewhere for the nights they are booked out, "twice a week every week" and they said no. That meant we would have to cart all of our things to somewhere else, anywhere else we could find for any price with all our stuff and this really was something that needed to be clear before arrival and as soon as when I tried to get the 7th night free on arrival. As I packed all our belongings I went to the front office where the childlike lady was on shift and I asked how often do you have contracts that fill the facillity and she said "twice a week, every week and no, there is nowhere to leave your things" and then I asked to see the manager.

Really, a Backpackers with weekly rates and no weekly accomodation, ever. If you are not reliant on a permanent spot to work or look for work and are looking for a great few days, not Saturday or Wednesday then this really was a lovely spot to stay.

Lastly, bunk beds with air-conditioning at least in one room set aside for Backpackers with a storage cupboard onsite. People who want weekly accomodation, not be constrained and inconvienced by your inflexible contracts and/or anyone finds completely moving out twice a week as the stangest set up ever, than this place is a problem. I saw the furry on the face of another Backpacker in the kitchen and I knew why!!! I asked anyway and knew management just heard this same frustration from me. It is what it is, being told before we got there would have saved all this for everyone. There was plenty of room for everyones stuff; this was more a policy than a space issue. Management offered a ride with our stuff on their Emu Park Bus, if we could be ready in 10 minutes and we were and are grateful.

Perfect EVERYTHING about this place! but...................

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
EmusBeachResort, Owner at Emus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thanks for your review and kind words regarding our backpackers. The "childlike" receptionist is a young girl, who has just finished year 12 and trying to learn the tourism industry. Everyone has to start somewhere and she is doing a fantastic job, for someone her age. As the owner, I was in the background and advising her on all aspects of your stay. Upon booking, you asked for 6 nights, and therefore, there was no need for her to let you know the 7th night was already booked out with a group. As you requested an extension while you were here, she then told you the bad news. We don't often get Australians staying long term in dorms and therefore didn't believe it necessary to let you know our future bookings, until you asked for them.

Unfortunately, we don't have alot of storage space and therefore can't hold peoples luggage that are paying to stay elsewhere. We offer it to guests going on day trips and late buses only. We do also have dorms for long term guests, which were also full. We have a large group working of guests working locally and they have filled our long term accommodation. They pay the "stay 7 pay 6" rate. Unfortunately, you and your son arrived over the busiest time of the year for us and we could not accommodate your needs at that time. We are not fully booked like that all year round, however much I wish we were.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our en suite double room was spacious and clean with a nice balcony. The bathroom was similarly spacious and clean and the shower was good. The pool is small but clean and really nice to have.
The lounge areas are adequate but the kitchen is very poor. One oven has clearly been out of order for a while and neither cooker's ignition system worked and nothing was provided to light the gas. Matches appeared after asking a couple of times. Both the extractor fan units had also failed. The one electric kettle was not working but was replaced when we reported it. There were washed up dishes around the sinks and dirty dishes in them. I know this is the hostellers' fault but there was only one grubby tea towel provided which did not encourage cleanliness. There were enough plates but no bowls nor glasses. There was a general lack of pots, pans and cutlery. The whole kitchen felt unloved and neglected, a sad shame in such a lovely hostel. And we killed a cockroach in the kitchen.
Large signs tell you that alcohol may not be brought into the hostel, which has its own well stocked pay bar open in the evenings. WiFi is $5 but good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
EmusBeachResort, Owner at Emus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thanks for your review. Its always good to get peoplels opinions. I'm disappointed the kitchen was not up to standard, however, at this time, I can't keep up with the "disappearing" pots, pans, cups, matches. Basically, antyhing that is not nailed down seems to not last very long in that kitchen. With regards to the tea towels though, that is the fault of the hostel and should be at least 4-5 clean tea towels. So for that I am sorry and will make sure it doesnt happen again. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night in an ensuite dorm room which had a double bed and 2 singles. We weren't joined by anyone so had the room to ourselves which was nice.

The room and bathroom were clean and spacious. There was a fridge and a tv in the room.

The shared kitchen and lounge were clean. The kitchen well equipped and the lounge comfortable to chill out in.

The pool area looked nice although we didn't have a swim as we arrived late.

The bar is small but has character, we joined them for happy hour $5 drinks.

Would recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We booked a double room and got a decent sized room. I slept well and the price was also good. However, the room was filled with 4 beds and a matress on the ground with no other furnishing. This did not give the room any ambiance. Also the curtains were sticking together and were in need of replacement.

In my opinion, the room can be more attractive if some effort is put into the decoration of the room. For me, this would have made the difference between an average-rating and very good-rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Emus Beach Resort is definitely one of the best backpackers I've seen in all of Australia.
Beautiful place, great accommodation, awesome staff !
The common area is spacious and very comfortable, ideal to relax on the couch or meeting new people. Overlooking on the heated pool, you just feel like diving in!
The dorms are fabulous, nothing to say: no bunk beds, ensuite and TV. Everything is spotless and looks brand new!! All for a very affordable price...
The staff is fantastic, welcoming and friendly, always a smile on their faces and try the best they can to make your stay an unforgettable time! Especially during one of their famous Friday night BBQ or $5 cocktails!!!

I recommand it to everyone... Emus Beach is the best place to stay if you want to enjoy the Capricorn Coast for a few days. I loved it, and will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Girl at reception isn't fit for her job as she doesn't fully understand what service means; seemed that checking-in new clients was a drag and she wanted to get rid of us asap. Apart from that its clean, spacious, nice pool. Kitchen could use a little refurb (loved the broken fridge saying "staff only").

• Stayed: July 2013
EmusBeachResort, Owner at Emus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thanks for your review and we are sorry you had a bad experience on check in. I can't explain why our receptionist was distracted on the day of your arrival, and there is no excuse. All I can do is appologise and say normally she is a very happy go lucky young girl.

I'm glad you enjoyed the facilities and yes, the kitchen is a little dated. However, everything in it works just fine, including the "Staff Fridge". It does work, it's just been turned off for the past weeks. It needed defrosting and cleaning thoroughly. As we haven't been that busy, we haven't needed to switch it back on. Saving on electricity.

Thanks again for your stay with us and we wish you safe and happy travels in Australia.

Cheers

Emu Park Motel
Emu Park Motel
#1 of 1 in Emu Park
Great Keppel Island Holiday Village
Great Keppel Island Holiday Vill...
#2 of 7 in Great Keppel Island

Been to Emus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!