“Not up to standard”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Maryborough
Gladstone, Australia
“Not up to standard”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Lastminute had this motel rate at 4 star. It didn't live up to a 4 star rating - family room was tiny, bathrooms were ensuites (there is a size difference!), tiny airconditioner couldn't cool the room, no restaurant (many pictures of it in the advertising), the bed bows on the sides so that half of you hangs off the sides (and we are small people).
On the plus side - it was clean and convenient. We were able to walk to a great Thai restaurant up the road.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Steve C, Manager at Mineral Sands Motel and Colony Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Thanks AllAroundTrip1,
We are not, and never have, advertised our motel as a four star. Please take another look and have a good think before putting these reviews up for all to see. This motel offers 3.5 rated accomodation and is priced to the same standards as every other motel in the district.

The restaurant has been closed for some time due to economic circumstances; there is a sign on the front window advising guests, as well we have inserted “Our restaurant is temporarily closed” on our website www.mineralsands.com.au. This has been in place since the restaurant closed so not sure why or how you missed this?

Not sure what room you stayed in but if you hang out of a queen size bed then maybe we need to look at replacing them with Kings??

Thanks for staying with us and we can see where we can improve. Just wish that all the happy and contented guests would write a review for us now and then!

Regards,
Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have stayed at my fair share of budget accommodation and I don't expect much, a bed and bathroom is really all I need, I don't care about the quality of showers, or the amount of room we have. But I booked here due to the extras we were offered on the website - free Internet, restaurant on site, tropical beer garden... Well none of these were available during my stay, the restaurant and beer garden were closed (during summer - I would have thought this would be their busy time?!?) and when I enquired about the Internet password I was told it wasn't working - yet I can clearly see the connection when I search for available internet connections on my laptop...
On top of this, I was woken up this morning by the staff at 8:30am ready to clean my room - only the chain stopped her from walking right in - perhaps waiting till at least 9 or 10am would be more appropriate?!? We left the room at 9am, got back at 5pm and the room ended up not being serviced at all.
Not the most unpleasant hotel I've ever been in - I found the room acceptable, however I feel like I could have been informed sooner (perhaps even at check in) that all these extras were not available so I could have been given the option of choosing to stay elsewhere in Maryborough.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks pulpful,
Firstly let me say that we had a relief manager looking after the place while we were on break, so we sincerely apologise that our service wasn't up to the standards which we normally put in place.
We haven’t been able to confirm what happened to your room not being cleaned but assume it was miscommunication as it’s our policy to service the rooms daily.

The internet is offered free to guests and entering the password supplied usually gets this service, again we apologise but we don’t know why you couldn’t gain access.

We have advised guests that there is are 2 restaurants and a take away food strip 50m up the street and another 50 will get you to 2 of the biggest fast food chains in the country, so the choice of food is well catered for.

Regards, Steve
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

This stay was in an older room and unfortunately the bed was not comfortable as I did feel the springs. The decor was fine, but area in the bathroom was limited, i.e. was a bit tight getting to the toilet, shower a nice size though. The room was clean, but the fridge had an odd smell.

• Stayed December 2012
Thanks Ness C,
We are a 3.5 rated motel so while we can't offer the same as the 4 star's, but most of our guests just want a nice clean room so thanks for your feedback.

We just need to encourage our guests to fill out the feedback form rather that post a review on this site, that way we know exactly what the problem is and in which room so we can deal with it straight away.

We'd rather fix something with a friendly smile rather than find out something weeks later. Just wish we could put up all the good feedback forms we have on this site to balance out the reviews a bit.

Anyway, thanks again,
Regards,
Steve
Gold Coast
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I wish I'd read the reviews before I stayed here. Right now I'm laying awake in one of their beds, unable to sleep because of the springs sticking into my back. How old are they!!! The location isnt bad except for the never ending frogs crocking because of the rain. Someone standing behind the counter when I arrived looked like a family member and just gave me a filthy look, didn't say anything and waited for someone else to realize I was there. Never again.

• Stayed December 2012
Steve C, Manager at Mineral Sands Motel and Colony Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
There's no need to post these sorts of comments. Fair enough if the bed was uncomfortable for you, you let us know at 6:30am and we happily refunded your 2nd night, which we were under no obligation to do so. We understand that when you wrote the review you must have been very tired as it seemed a reflection of the previous review to get your frustrations known to as many people who would care to listen.
We have checked the bed you referred to, and are confident to report that there are definitely no springs poking through, in fact when we looked at previous guest feedback forms it was surprising the number of compliments on that particular bed, so we find your comment quite out of the ordinary. We will try and halt any further rainfall at night in an effort to eliminate all frog noises. Also apologies for our disabled friend, she shouldn’t have been behind the counter and most people realize her communication issues are something she cannot help.
None the less, thank you for your feedback and we will attempt to improve where we can.
Bundaberg
Reviewed 23 August 2012

the mattress , felt like they should of been throw away 5 years ago, springs digging in the side alnight. the room needs a good clean

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Steve C, Manager at Mineral Sands Motel and Colony Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Sorry to read your review, sadly sometimes it's the only way to find out issues, so I wish you would have filled out the feedback form so we could have fixed the problem. We'll try and work out which room it was, thanks for staying with us, hopefully we can make up for this next time. Regards, Steve
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

Newly refurbished rooms and comfy comfy comfy. For the price it is a very nice find. Comfortable bed!!!! Rooms are small, but designed so that it is not a detraction. Value for money in a three and a half star motel.

• Stayed May 2012
Thanks Ness C, hopefully we'll see you again. Regards, Steve
Moranbah
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Quite good compared to other 3.5 star we've stayed at. It pays to ask for a refurbished room as these are fairly good for the price. Our friends had an older room which was OK but probably due for a paint and tidy up, ours was a bit more modern. Hope they open the restaurant again soon as the $10 weekend specials were great!
Don't know where the last review got their info from as I checked with the managers, it's AAA rated at 3.5 stars and I reckon that's about right.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!