“Pitiful”

Waltzing Matilda Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Redcliffe
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Asked aabout a room and was made to pay for it before inspection.
Upon inspection found a filthy room not fit for anyone at anyprice.
Now manager refuses to refund money.
Worst motel in Australia and as a very regular business traveller l stay all over the country, city and regional and this motel is the "pits"
Wouldn't send my dog there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Russell L
Waltzing M, Front Office Manager at Waltzing Matilda Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Your room was checked after you had checked out. We found the room had just been renovated! Freshly painted, new carpet, new fixtures and all lights worked. Waltzing Matilda Motel stands to a strict cleanliness policy. Most staff have stayed in motels all around the world and have had problems with rooms scratches etc. Even a 5 star motel room flooded and they cleaned the room no problem and stayed that night.

There are newer reviews for Waltzing Matilda Motel

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed here when I was up for a wedding from Victoria for a night as it was close to the Oxley. To say this place wasn't very good is an understatement. I understand for $80 that you aren't getting premium service but I expected more than what I got. When I got there, the office was a mess which is not a good indication, the room was not ready and I was told "Oh, I thought they did the rooms yesterday - I will go and clean it out for you now." I had to wait when I had previously given my arrival time by booking via the Internet. Once they had cleaned the room, I went up and found that the place had a very distinct smell to it that I couldn't place my finger on in the room and the bedding smelt awful as well. Only the light in the sleeping area worked, the bathroom light didn't work, there was mould on the curtain in the bathroom, the taps didn't work properly and when I looked under the sink there was rubbish from the previous people who had been there. The bar fridge had rust on it also. All in all this place is a dump and is run down. If you can, go somewhere else.

I have since reported this place to health services.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Michael H

Your room was checked after you had checked out. We found the room had just been renovated! Freshly painted, new carpet, new fixtures and all lights worked. Waltzing Matilda Motel stands to a strict cleanliness policy. All rooms are non-smoking and there is an $800 charge if any pets (dogs) are permitted into a room.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel should be bulldozered. That saying "you get what you pay for" not even, I wouldn't stay here again if it was the last place in Redcliffe and it was free. Felt like I was sleeping in a death trap, fire hazard and rat hole. Really should be condemned. It sits in a perfect spot with perfect views, the owners should do the right thing and sell the land so it can be torn down and something nice put in its place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lulu R

The Motel has been bought and that is exactly what will be happening in future possibly next year. Motel is pest controlled every 6 months which is more then required and they say the same thing every 6 months : I don't know why you do their is not one critter big or small in this motel.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

From the street, the first impression was ok, it seemed to invite, with nice ocean views. But when we arrived at our room, first impression quickly faded, to be replaced with profound disbelief. The door was difficult to open, and falling apart. There were plastic bags of garbage outside the room, which was on the nose. Once in the room we saw there was a small rusty fridge without a handle which had seemed to have rusted off. The bathroom sink was rusty and stained. The windows were dirty with dust and grime, and the curtains had been hanging without having been washed since the1970's and were worn with holes. There was a pungent odour of stale urine comming from either the bed or the dirty, stained and worn carpet, or both. We didn't risk sitting on the bed. The neighbouring room was blasting a TV show, with dirty ashtray outside.
I asked the Manager if we could change rooms as we were not happy with the room we were given. He then offered us another room for a further fee, I asked if I could have a look at this room. Well it was a repeat of the first room including some very interestion mould and mildew growing on the curtains. The mould and odour left me breathless. I mentioned to the manager that this room would not suit and he asked why. I was really surprised that when I mentioned that the room was dirty, his response was, "in what way"!!!
We left the man behind the door with the loud TV, the bags of garbage, the urine smells, and the mould behind. We couldn't believe it, if this place wasn't so tragic, it would be laughable, I'm with the "Busymanblues".

Room Tip: Ask to view the room first if you haven't booked ahead. Otherwise don't go there.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank h1fr0mky0gle

Waltzing Matilda Motel stands to a strict cleanliness policy.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I don't mind basic as long as it is clean but this motel was grubby. The position and views were lovely from our room at the front but the the backyard was untidy. We were late finding a motel so didn't check the room thoroughly. The sheets had either been badly laundered or not at all. This motel looked like a work in progress but an awful lot needs to be done.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Title says it all!!!!Unit inside was dirty, bathroom sink smashed and broken. Shower taps fell off. Beds mattress's lumpy. Balcony dirty, cigarette ashtrays full. Need I say anymore.

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank Petesbub

Reviewed 4 January 2012

A hell hole the only reason I would stay there would be to complete a novel about suicide and depression. If you are researching a role in a movie about murderers and snuff movies it's a good place to start. As I am not I'll give it a miss

• Stayed: January 2012