“NOT AGAIN”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Redcliffe
Toowoomba, Australia
“NOT AGAIN”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for only 1 night. The reception was very untidy and looked as though it hadn't been vacumed for a long time. We were told our room wasn't ready so we had to wait for 15 mins, we came back and still was not ready, waited another 30mins, came back and it was ready but there were some electrical problems. Also the key to our room would not fit so the man had to get some keys cut which was going to take about 20 mins. My friend and I came back later that night and our room was locked but no key. The owner looked very unprofessional and unkept. But, he did refund our money & tried to find other hotels in the area. Piece of advice: Find somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Canberra
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The motel has obviously had no serious maintenance in decades and is waiting for the demolition to begin. I have stayed in many an older motel and found them very satisfactory while travelling but they had decent showers, decent bedding and secure locks. Everything including the linen was as old and threadbare as the building. When I pulled back the bedspread and saw the greasy stain on the pillow any thoughts I had of staying went and I made a hurried exit. Needless to say I could not find any manager to discuss a refund as I had prepaid for two nights - which emphasises how bad I felt about staying there as it made my trip to see family so much more expensive. The person answering the reception, while pleasant, had no english and had to be guided through the process of giving me a receipt for the return of my room key.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Redcliffe hotels

Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Where to start? Broken TV, broken fridge, no kettle. Sheets stank, there was no way I was going to allow my son to sit on the beds. Curtains had holes in them and were on broken rods. Front door handle loose, no other form of lock. Huge gap under back door. Guest laundry was accessed by climbing over a pile of half car parts. Laundry was a washing machine with no lid and a dryer half hanging off the wall, both $5 a load. There was rubbish and filth and mould everywhere and I took photo's and reported them to the health department. I went over their heads to get a refund. Would NOT recommend this to my worst enemy!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank KathleenGaza
Waltzing M, Front Office Manager at Waltzing Matilda Motel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Your room was checked after you had checked out. We found the room had just been renovated! Freshly painted, new carpet, new fixtures and all lights worked. Waltzing Matilda Motel stands to a strict cleanliness policy. All rooms are non-smoking and there is an $800 charge if any pets (dogs) are permitted into a room.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I've been going to that motel now for three years for at least 4 days every month.
So thats over 100 times i have stayed there.
Never once have i been attacked by lice or fleas or seen a rat or even a roach.
I did see a geko once eating ants near the pool but thats it!!!
This motels biggest sin is its age. I see the new owner is putting money into the place but he aint got much to work with. The front rooms are better than the rear ones and the price reflects this. A draw back is the design of the motel. Cars drive into the middle to park then people who think they are the center of the universe start yelling and banging car doors and boots. The noise echos around badly.
I spend about 20 days a month in motels and ive seen far far worse than the waltzing matilda I recently had to pay $100 for one night in a motel in country NSW that only had a double bed, a chair and a sink with a cold tap only. I just hardened up.

Room Tip: Get the front rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John S
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Seems like a quaint little motel from the street, however upon getting into our room, my partner and I soon discovered that half the taps didn't work. Within an hour of having been in the room, the both of us became insanely itchy and, the next day broke out into welts and rashes.

The room looks untidy and unkempt and very old facilities. Even at $80 a night, I have stayed in far far better places.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Nick P
Your room was checked after you had checked out. We found the room had just been renovated! Freshly painted, new carpet, new fixtures all lights worked and a new mattress.
You called and said only one person had irratable skin conditions and you said you had a skin condition that could be effected by weather or pollen all the time.
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Asked aabout a room and was made to pay for it before inspection.
Upon inspection found a filthy room not fit for anyone at anyprice.
Now manager refuses to refund money.
Worst motel in Australia and as a very regular business traveller l stay all over the country, city and regional and this motel is the "pits"
Wouldn't send my dog there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Russell L
Your room was checked after you had checked out. We found the room had just been renovated! Freshly painted, new carpet, new fixtures and all lights worked. Waltzing Matilda Motel stands to a strict cleanliness policy. Most staff have stayed in motels all around the world and have had problems with rooms scratches etc. Even a 5 star motel room flooded and they cleaned the room no problem and stayed that night.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed here when I was up for a wedding from Victoria for a night as it was close to the Oxley. To say this place wasn't very good is an understatement. I understand for $80 that you aren't getting premium service but I expected more than what I got. When I got there, the office was a mess which is not a good indication, the room was not ready and I was told "Oh, I thought they did the rooms yesterday - I will go and clean it out for you now." I had to wait when I had previously given my arrival time by booking via the Internet. Once they had cleaned the room, I went up and found that the place had a very distinct smell to it that I couldn't place my finger on in the room and the bedding smelt awful as well. Only the light in the sleeping area worked, the bathroom light didn't work, there was mould on the curtain in the bathroom, the taps didn't work properly and when I looked under the sink there was rubbish from the previous people who had been there. The bar fridge had rust on it also. All in all this place is a dump and is run down. If you can, go somewhere else.

I have since reported this place to health services.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo