“Weekend escape in Room 14 Honeymoon Room”

Waltzing Matilda Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Redcliffe
Brisbane, Australia
“Weekend escape in Room 14 Honeymoon Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I needed a quiet break away and chose the Waltzing Matilda Motel. I stayed in the Room 14 Honey moon Room. If you go to the Waltzing Matilda Motel website and look at the motel facilities, the 360 degree show of the room is the one I stayed in. Value for money,for that view. You could sit or lie in the new queen bed and look straight out to the bay or sit on the lounge and soak in the views. This set up was perfect the weekend I stayed as it rained and I could sit in the lounge and still have the uninterrupted view.The main room has sliding windows with security fly screen so you could enjoy the breeze off the water or if you prefer it has a modern air conditioner. It was lovely to have the windows open at night and fall asleep to the waves lapping at the shoreline. The room was very clean. The owner was in the process of putting on the freshly washed couch cover as I was booking in. The bathroom consisted of a hand basin, a shower with a shower head that you could regulate the stream of water and a toilet with a door on it. Yes the bathroom is old fashioned, but it was larger and cleaner then some of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The main room has a microwave, kettle, small fridge, and plate and cutlery for two people, dish washing liquid and dishcloth and tea towel. The room was very quiet, new carpet. TV up on the wall that you swivel around to watch it. Block out curtains on the windows so if you wanted not to enjoy the beautiful sunrise over the bay in the morning, you could sleep in.The wifi worked perfectly for me. I found all the staff from owner to cleaner very friendly and helpful. I had a swim in the pool and it was very clean, with an undercover picnic area. Just cross the road and you have the shoreline of the bay and the boardwalk. Take a stroll up the board walk to cafe's and restaurants. The restaurant onsite was closed when i stayed so I can not comment on this. For $120 a night would I stay again? YES!!

Room Tip: Book room 14, the "honeymoon room"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Mang0G0G0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Third time I have stayed here. Have looked/stayed elsewhere, but for value of money - this place is 5*star. Friendly staff, great location, everything you need. Wont even think about anywhere else when I next visit Redcliffe.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank rosebud1512
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We have booked family and friends in waltzing Matilda for over 25 yrs . It's old but always served its purpose of being clean and close to the beach and shops. New managers have taken over since last visit and when I rang to book I talked to the gentleman and explained that I needed wi fi more than anything due to my friend needing to connect with England at 4 am in the morning..... "Yes of course there is, but pick room 12 and it won't drop out" he states, booking made, payment declined, "pay on arrival" he says. Do I need to confirm, "no" he says, booking is confirmed.... Friend arrives ill from long haul flight, no booking found, and then he tells me he's full, but can have another room... Friend accepted what ever they offered, she just wanted to put her head down, and was assured there was wi-fi. She just needed wi-fi, come 4am..... There's no wi fi, and there wasn't unless you sat in reception, they maybe new managers there but they haven't yet realised the locals give a lot of business to waltzing Matilda to keep it afloat.... We will be going down the road and paying the extra from now on.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank andrew r

Travellers are raving about these Redcliffe hotels

Redcliffe, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My family has stayed here on numerous occasions. I would say without a doubt that the new owners have improved the motel 100% since these other reviews were written. Gail and Peter are wonderful hosts and the rooms are always clean, tidy, and fresh. Beds are comfy. Aircon works. Showers immaculate and water pressure awesome. I recommend room 14 if you want the best view and nicest room. Obviously it's not the Mon Komo but if you're on a budget and need a comfy place to sleep for the night, look no further.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rejoyced2012
Cape Town, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We booked February 11 through a local friend room 12, we arrived 25 March told sorry you have to have room 3!
Does it have Wi Fi yes every room has it but we booked room 12 because you said it had Wi Fi,can't remember,
Well no Wi Fi not even outside the office guy said there is no problem well sorry sir but you are lieing he had to admit there was a problem,
Our friend has given this place many stays for family and friends but never again, yes it is old and badly needs a refurbishment other Hotels offer better quality and a honest service dsorry won't be comming back ever too rude.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Was visiting the area for a wedding and happy to stay in motel as we had been a couple of times before over the years, and other family members we also staying, the motel is aged, but always has been very clean, my huge gripe is that they advertised Wi-Fi and when I went to use it at midnight for my business it didn't work and couldn't get it to work in any of my families room, the only place we could get reception was outside the office, and it then dropped out before we got back to our room, the manager next morning insisted it worked everywhere and even said that a room was using it then....the room in question was my elderly uncle who wouldn't know how to work a calculator... When we booked we asked this man if there was WiFi, as we had to do business while in Brisbane, he insisted there was, there isn't unless you are in the office or outside, .....

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here in the transition of our move to qld, we couldnt have asked for a better first experience to the redcliffe area! The onsite staff where absolutely amazing, unlike most places they where present, friendly, and super helpful! The rooms are at great prices and have everything you need fridge, tv, kettle microwave and toaster ect and the bed was more comfortable than I expected. Aircon was a huge plus on those warm nights but with free pool facilities available and a skip accross the road to a magnificent beach you dont spend much time inside. A short walk to a 24hr general store and supermarket complex for those self sufficient or the restaurant downstairs for those who prefer, at extremely great prices what more could you ask for 100% satisfaction.

• Stayed December 2013