“Basic But Clean”

Waltzing Matilda Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Redcliffe
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A very old motel that would have been smart in its day, the new manager/owner had just taken it over and apologised for the state of it but assured us it was clean... it was. The decor was very dated, the bathroom had 'delightful' pink tiles with the odd grey one to set them off, think '80s, but the shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. I wouldn't rave about it but the bed was comfortable and the room warm, we weren't sure if the rusting air-con would handle it but it did... it is by the sea after all. The view from our room more than made up for any shortcomings. The restaurant was closed so went to the fish shop down the road.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janice W

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Oh dear. My mother always taught me if I couldn't say something nice, then say nothing, but this is not called Trip Advisor for nothing. Well let's get the negatives out of the way, as there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. It's not quite what we expected - a kind of rustic, out of the way motel with not too many bells and whistles, but somewhere clean and quiet to break our trip to Noosa. It's clearly extremely dated and perhaps it is in the first stages of renovation, but why not pick a room, do it up properly and move to the next one? We arrived, tired out after a long flight - just glad we had some duty free wine with us! It just has a feeling of yucky ghetto about it, from the climb up the back stairs under exposed pipes to walking in to our room - I just wanted to turn around and leave. Our unit was tiny, and the bathroom - oh dear god. Not even room to easily fill my contact lens containers. The shower wasn't bad. There was a boarded up cupboard like an old safe or something by the door which smelled to have been recently painted - very recently, and there wasn't a lot of space to put our suitcases somewhere out of the way. If you want a soft comfortable bed you will be disappointed - it was like a board. We went down to the restaurant for dinner - 8.30pm - 'sorry - kitchen's closed'. Ooookay - a hard-boiled egg? We ended up going back into town to find an IGA with enough cheese and fruit to keep us going. I heard the locals call it "Deadcliffe" and I'm not terribly surprised. Anyway - positives - it was clean. Pretty clean. We enjoyed a glass of the aforementioned wine sitting out on the balcony of the upstairs room. In fact we polished off the bottle before we fell into bed. Views out across the esplanade are quite nice. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MazNewZealand
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here with our two children at Easter and it was fabulous. We stayed in a sea view family room which was lovely. The view was amazing, and the room was huge. It was spotlessly clean and had all the amenities that we needed. We have stayed in budget hotels without even a fridge being available but here we had enough to even be able to self cater on a modest level.

We didn't get the chance to use the pool or the restaurant and wished we were staying for longer so that we could have done. It was such a convenient place, and the welcome so friendly I would definitely recommend it to other families and would love the chance to stay again- for longer next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MrKernowgirl .
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My elderly aunt and her friend stayed here for a week as it was a convenient location,safe and secure.They had a ground floor room with a fine view of the sea. The management,Peter and Gail, could not have been kinder or treated them with more respect, going beyond and above the call of duty! Although modest(still undergoing renovation and repair) this is a great place for those on a budget and you only have to ask for something and it is made available.
My aunt has some dietary issues so the chef of Billy's on the Bay cooked special meals for her and her friend at a reduced seniors rate.The food was simple,home-style and perfectly prepared and greatly appreciated.
The location is 5-star, right across from the boardwalk and beach and close to all amenities. I would be happy to stay there myself anytime!!
Thanks again Peter and Gail, for looking after my aunty so well!!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Eclair1951
Reviewed 28 April 2014

even though it was a budget room,we had a lousy night due to noise,the A/C was out of noahs ark was so noisy had to turn it off and you could hear people in other rooms talking and mucking about till quite late,tried opening bathroom windows for fresh air but noise from other A/cs unberable,to top it off the bed was old and worn out ,the only good point was there was clean sheets and towels,decided never to stay again.

Room Tip: ask to have a look before deciding
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Nice owners thattook their time to explain us everything from activities to the local restaurants. Of course the rooms aren't 5-star but for a short and affordable option they suited us just fine. One thing though, are the thin walls. You can literally hear everything: from your neighbours television to the early morning chatters in front of your bedroom. Otherwise we really enjoyed our stay there!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I needed a quiet break away and chose the Waltzing Matilda Motel. I stayed in the Room 14 Honey moon Room. If you go to the Waltzing Matilda Motel website and look at the motel facilities, the 360 degree show of the room is the one I stayed in. Value for money,for that view. You could sit or lie in the new queen bed and look straight out to the bay or sit on the lounge and soak in the views. This set up was perfect the weekend I stayed as it rained and I could sit in the lounge and still have the uninterrupted view.The main room has sliding windows with security fly screen so you could enjoy the breeze off the water or if you prefer it has a modern air conditioner. It was lovely to have the windows open at night and fall asleep to the waves lapping at the shoreline. The room was very clean. The owner was in the process of putting on the freshly washed couch cover as I was booking in. The bathroom consisted of a hand basin, a shower with a shower head that you could regulate the stream of water and a toilet with a door on it. Yes the bathroom is old fashioned, but it was larger and cleaner then some of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The main room has a microwave, kettle, small fridge, and plate and cutlery for two people, dish washing liquid and dishcloth and tea towel. The room was very quiet, new carpet. TV up on the wall that you swivel around to watch it. Block out curtains on the windows so if you wanted not to enjoy the beautiful sunrise over the bay in the morning, you could sleep in.The wifi worked perfectly for me. I found all the staff from owner to cleaner very friendly and helpful. I had a swim in the pool and it was very clean, with an undercover picnic area. Just cross the road and you have the shoreline of the bay and the boardwalk. Take a stroll up the board walk to cafe's and restaurants. The restaurant onsite was closed when i stayed so I can not comment on this. For $120 a night would I stay again? YES!!

Room Tip: Book room 14, the "honeymoon room"
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo