“Good B and B”
Review of Marble Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Angaston
Marble Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Angaston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We had a lovely 2 nights at Marble Lodge. We had a great breakfast and as much food as we could eat . Shirley is very interesting and a good hostess . The room was lovely . My only complaint would be the bed was much TOO hard and I did not sleep well. However the rest of the B and B very good. Angaston is a great place for a weekend.

Room Tip: Any room would do
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
marblelodge, Owner at Marble Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you Andrew for your Review, I'm thrilled you enjoyed your weekend here in the Barossa. I know we all have personal preferences for a mattress and am sorry you found our new double-pillowtop mattress was too firm? Everyone else has commented how comfortable their sleep had been, it was a hard decision to replace the Chiropractic mattresses as they were really firm, but the ones we have now are much less so. I have one on my own bed and now have a wonderful sleep. But, we all have personal preferences and I respect your comment.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

. We spent the weekend at the Lodge to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was a great stay, nice rooms & a great cooked breakfast in the main dining room cooked by the owner, Shirley.
Lovely grounds and a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
marblelodge, Owner at Marble Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for your review, I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I just love sharing this amazing property with others. In almost 18 years, it is rewarding that such a lot of couples return year after year to celebrate anniversaries or for weekend breaks, and to share with me what I tend to take for granted! Marble Lodge is "a Special Place".

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I am not normally one to choose B and B's but due to the location and based on verbal recommendation, stayed at Marble Lodge in the Camelia Room with my spouse. What a beautiful escape. The room was large and homely, with a huge bed and excellent quality linen. And the spa bath is just wonderful. Set off the bathroom, the sunken spa is surrounded by stained glass windows. If you are looking for a lovely romantic escape, or just to escape for that matter, i would highly recommend Marble Lodge, The photos of the rooms do not do them justice. They are beautiful. As for the gentlemen who said it was too fussy, i would disagree with him entirely. He obviously does not appreciate quality nor a kind hearted sole when he meets one. The host Shirley is just delightful and loves to share her stories of her travels but at the same time loves to hear your stories too. I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for luxury accommodation in a quiet location, but within walking distance of the shops and restaurants in Angaston.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review; with such a superb quiet and private location, I enjoy so much sharing this beautiful property with other travellers!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stopped here by chance after a wonderful time in the outback. We were dirty, in a filthy car and probably didn't look like great prospects. None of this deterred the lovely hostess who welcomed us into her self contained unit and encouraged us to feel at home. The room had a separate sitting room with a gas fire and an extremely comfortable bed with really high quality linen. The shower was wonderful with lots of hot water and really nice bathroom products. Good advice was given on dinner places and breakfast in the morning was excellent. Shirley is an incredibly well travelled person and it was interesting to hear her tales over breakfast. Superb place to stay - very luxurious but sill very homely. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pakiripost

It was such a thrill to have this delightful couple arrive on dark to stay. We shared many travel experiences! One of the greatest rewards for me is to share a coffee at breakfast, with my guests. Couples from many parts of the world have chosen to stay at Marble Lodge, and a couple of years later they email me saying they're coming back! We've enjoyed BBQs with them, and invited my wonderful neighbours to share it with us!

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed in the Carmellia room. We were greeted by Shirley the lovely host, shown to our room which we found to be most comfortable. The room was warm and ready for us on arrival. The bed was super comfy and was dressed in the highest of quality linen. The open fire was to die for. Room contained all the essential amenities required to make our stay perfect. Every thing was very clean. Located very close to all the shop and eateries but tucked away nicely seeming like you are all alone. Breakfast is in the homestead and of the highest , yummiest quality. Will defiantly recommend it to others. Thanks for a nice stay :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KelleF
marblelodge, Owner at Marble Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

We appreciate your feedback, and are thrilled you enjoyed everything we have provided for our special guests. With many of our guests coming from overseas, and having travelled extensively overseas myself, they're often surprised to learn I have actually been to their homeland! Thank you for your comments, they're a great source of inspiration for the team here!

Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is a freestanding house on a property with the B&B owner's house, suitable for two couples in separate suites. The rooms are cold and dark with small windows in classic "historic" style, furnished with old, dark french polished furniture. To go with the furniture are little notices telling you to be careful what you put on the surfaces, point the kettle away from the table, make the coffee on the tray, etc. Why doesn't she just get more robust furniture or a more robust surface treatment? We are tidy folk, respectful of other people's possessions but here we felt inhibited doing just about anything. We couldn't use the alternative pillows or the bathrobes in the cupboards because of the overpowering smell of mothballs. Breakfast could not be made in the rooms but had to be eaten with the host in the main house, where she served us, by candlelight. We would have appreciated a higher standard of food ie bread or cereal not from the supermarket and somewhat riper fruit, rather than candles. At 830 in the morning, 9 on Sunday, which she couldn't make any earlier.

The place was very clean. The bed was ok. The showers ran on rainwater with plentiful hot water pressure (I had a short shower because I know how precious water is especially in SA. I was most surprised there was no sign reminding me to do so). The towels and shower gels etc were great.

This is a place to go if you like old fashioned rooms with doilies and a host that keeps an eye on everything. And talks to you about her undoubtedly exciting life and many travels.I'm sure she also has plenty of information on local attractions, but I'm afraid she just made us want to escape.

Don't go if you like uncluttered rooms and the flexibility to relax and do things your own way.

Don't go if

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Shirley R, Owner at Marble Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

In these days of a disposable society and plastic coatings, most people are unaware of the delicate nature of genuine antiques and their equally delicate coatings, which at the time of their creation were the best available.

We have as a result of your observations regarding notes relating to the delicate surfaces of these precious antiques removed both notes, and since have had 5 occasions on which we have had to have furniture resurfaced. While almost all of our guests have been exceptionally careful, the very few make us a very regular customer at the antique repair shop.

The building of the B&B is a replica of the main homestead, with great attention to detail, right down to even acquiring stone for the construction from the same quarry which had been closed for over 100 years. The small windows are very typical of homes from this era, and were in fact designed as exact copies of the main homestead to ensure authenticity.

I was sure that our web site faithfully represented what guests could expect on arrival.

All guests have a choice of whether they would like breakfast in their room, or would prefer to dine by candlelight in the main dining room of the homestead... I do note that you opted to dine in the homestead.

I am sorry that you do not like the be chatted to... perhaps I could recommend an accommodation house that is not hosted so that you may relax with your own company. Please feel free to contact me at any time for such recommendations.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

One of the nicest bed and breakfast's I have stayed in anywhere. Built of local marble, and matching the main residence in style, Marble Lodge is quiet, centrally located in the town of Angaston, offers every luxury you could want, and is very very romantic.

Just a stone's throw from the main street where you can find excellent eateries and shopping, Marble Lodge will always be my first choice when I stay in the Barossa Valley.

The owner, Shirley Rohrlach, is very entertaining and can give you the best info on what to see and do, tours, facilities, in fact everything 'Barossa'. She is a wealth of knowledge.

Had a fantastic stay for two nights. Very very classy.

Room Tip: Either of the rooms is beautiful, well appointed, coffee and tea facilities, with breakfast in the m...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian_Greening

Delighted you enjoyed our beautiful B&B - Angaston is such a friendly happy township, amazing wines, the very best restaurants and coffee bars, clear blue sky and fresh clean air! No wonder you came to stay again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Angaston
Novotel Barossa Valley Resort
#1 of 4 in Angaston
Angaston Rose B & B
Angaston Rose B & B
#3 of 4 in Angaston

Been to Marble Lodge? Share your experiences!