“Beautiful spot... pity about the rooms!”
Review of Lyndoch Hill

Lyndoch Hill
Ranked #4 of 4 Lyndoch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights and while the room was large and somewhat comfortable. It was a disappointing stay. During our stay I became unwell and phoned reception for help finding a GP clinic that could take me. It would seem whoever I spoke with was highly uninformed, and I proceeded to go through a runaround between the Gawler hospital and three different clinics! Eventually I did get into a GP, but I am really disappointed that I wasn't better directed when (in my opinion) being sick while away from home is so horrible, it would've been nice to know exactly who to contact - or even have them contacted on my behalf.
Bare minimum here. Rooms outdated, the compendium was outdated. Maybe if a little more time and money was spent on the rooms and ensuring guests had a comfortable stay this place would be more highly rated. Unfortunately, the beautiful restaurant frontage is highly deceptive. Stay somewhere in the heart of the Barossa!

Room Tip: I wasn't aware there were rooms with balconies until posting my review - definitely try for one...
There are newer reviews for Lyndoch Hill

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked this accommodation for a girls weekend in January 2014. The rooms looked great on the website but were very old and dated when we arrived. The bathroom was not very well cleaned, lots of spiders and bugs. We spent a very hot weekend in the Barossa and went to the pool in the evening but as there was no lighting, could not even see each other. The breakfast was very disappointing, on entering the dining area we waited around to be served for over 10 minutes, when no one came we helped ourselves, would have ordered a cooked breakfast if we we were asked. I would not recommend this place at all, was a great disappointment to a long awaited weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dani S
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had been so excited at the thought of spending the weekend in the Barossa. Couldn't wait to check in at Lyndoch Hill - the rooms on the website looked just amazing. However, the reality was so very different. As we drove up the driveway and parked in front of reception my heart dropped as I gazed at the row of ugly cheap looking motel style rooms.

And then my misgivings were well founded - our room was just truly awful. Not even slightly looking like what is shown on the website. It was roomy enough but with outdated decor and an awful 1960's bathroom. Truly truly awful. Was so disappointed. And our room was one of the ones that didn't even have a balcony.

Anyway we endeavoured to make something good out of the weekend. We had a lovely time at the Chateau tasting wines and Rachel was just fantastic. We also ended up having High Tea there, which was really delicious though they didn't have all of the tasty treats that were advertised but it was all still nice (though at $35 it darn well should have been nice).

Back in the grotty room we had to while away some time before going for dinner. We ended up snuggling into rugs and half watching tv/snoozing. Not exactly what I had planned for my "exciting" weekend away

We did go to the restaurant for dinner and at least that redeemed something for us as the food was just delicious and our waitperson, Kelly, was awesome

The room itself was just not nice and I had hoped for two double beds but instead got one queen bed and two singles. The single beds only had sheets and a light bed spread, but fortunately there were plenty of blankets in the wardrobe. I could hear the people next door and the cars, and sometimes heavy vehicles (buses????) that passed by right under our windows was not good. Took me a long time to try to get to sleep even though I was very tired. Fortunately nobody was moving about too early next morning so we were already up and about when people next door started making their noise. The bed was also awful. Very hard and not easy to sleep on and the pillows were flat and horrible. I had one of the worst nights (sleep - not much of it) and wok up grumpy and tired.

Overall impression? Well the room was a big disappointment mainly because it was nothing like the photos on the website. Perhaps had the website not built up such big expectations it would have a bit less of a disappointment. However, forgetting about the room I have to say that all our other boxes were ticked. The wine tasting was enjoyable and the high tea likewise. And we only had a very short walk to the restaurant, and the food was delicious. So all in all it was a nice enough stay and the staff - from the reception check in/check out through to the Cellar Door and Cafe and then the Restaurant - the staff were amazing, friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank BrisCaz
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Found the reception staff very friendly and informative also Max and Merlot the owners dogs enjoyed a good pat.
Upon arrival we received a cheese platter and a bottle of riesling, the rooms were rather clean, the bathroom a little dated but the water was hot and all amenities worked. The bed was good but the pillows were a bit on the hard side for our liking, might want to bring your own if you prefer a soft pillow. The room also had a balcony overlooking some of the garden. We found some parts of the garden unmaintained but when your property is that large it's very understandable, my wife and I enjoyed strolling through nonetheless.
We dined at their restaurant and found the service fantastic we were always waited upon and found our drinks always full, the staff were always up for a chat and a giggle. The food.......We received complimentary house bread with olive oil and balsamic dip also a cracker spread with olive tapenade and anchovy. The bread was fantastic the anchovy was not my thing ;-) mains we had barramundi and lamb rump but I would say anything on that menu would have been splendid. We really didn't have room for dessert but ate It and were glad we did.
I would recommend staying here and my wife and I'll return with some friends for extensive wine tasting and more outings to the gorgeous German Bakery at Lyndoch!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was booked for 5 nights, but only managed to stay 1 night. The hotels website holds out the rooms to be completely renovated luxurious rooms. On arrival (late in the evening), I found the room to be clean and tidy but far from luxurious. The bathroom had not been renovated from the 70s and the portacot was not erected and was dusty, requiring a wipe over. Worst of all was the bed, which felt like lying on bricks.

Thank goodness the staff were kind enough to refund for future nights paid for and did not compel me to stay.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner booked us a 2 night, weekend package for a mini-break...Yay!! We stayed in a Rose Garden (with balcony) room, It was peaceful, quiet...not a lot of roses and the gardens weren't as manicured or well kept as I'd seen on the Internet, but it was still pleasant to wander around and relax. The room was adequate. Bed/pillows were lovely and comfortable. I would have to agree with some of the other reviews and say the room was a little dated, although that didn't bother us as we didn't spend our whole break sitting in the room analysing the quality of the furnishings...choosing to explore the Barossa instead!
We had dinner at the Lyndoch Hill Restaurant on Friday night. It was busy but surprisingly not noisy and we enjoyed an amazing dinner feeling we were the only people in the room. The service we received was great, attentive, polite and helpful. We were both so happy with the quality of our meal and service that we felt it an insult to use our Entertainment Book card (which entitles a discount), so we did not use it.
The continental breakfast was a little disappointing, especially after the previous nights dinner. It felt a little 'cheap and nasty' having to get your cutlery from the cutlery rays at the breakfast counter, the tables were absolutely bare which gave it a 'are we in the right place?' feel and a lot of people wandering in (including us), not sure where to go to 'sign in' because there was no staff to greet you. It was stark contrast to the previous night experience. Should we stay again, we would probably go for a drive somewhere else for breakfast as its not that far to both Lyndoch or Tanunda.
We both came home relaxed, refreshed and enjoyed our stay at Lyndoch Hill.

1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My OH booked a 2day package after receiving a promotional phone call from this establishment. Total cost was $270 for the room and breakfast , wine and cheese on arrival, a tour of the Barrosa (sic) Chateau and 2x$30 meal vouchers for the restaurant.

We spent some time considering whether it was value for money. Our decision was "maybe".

Firstly the room was in the front part of the motel next to the restaurant. This meant there was absolutely no view from a rather tired 1970's style basic motel room- though the bathroom had fairly recently been cheaply refurbed. The rooms on the other side seemed better as they at least had a balcony and a view over the (untidy) garden. We wondered why they had not upgraded us to one of these - as the motel was not fully booked on either night that we were there.

We were only able to use our discount at the restaurant once as it was closed on Sunday night. We had dinner there on Saturday night. In our opinion it was a fairly basic hotel style meal. Certainly nothing to rave about.

Breakfast was also a fairly basic motel style affair. Nice yoghurt and bircher muesli - but canned fruit (peaches) and a few bits of melon, cheap fruit juice and even cheaper bread for toast. You could order cooked items for around $15-18

However our biggest disappointment was the rose garden. This is supposed to be a thing of joy and was even on the tour agenda for the Queen in 2002 and has apparently 30,000 roses. But it is now a very sad affair with lots of weeds, falling down gazebos, empty ponds and uncared for roses. I was itching for a pair of secateurs and some gardening gloves!!!

The tour of the Chateau is quite interesting -though it is really just a small private collection of mostly German and English china with a few Sevres pieces thrown in.

The Devonshire tea which was part of our package looked lovely but since we were heading off to a fabulous lunch at Ferment Asian in Tanunda - and this was HUGE highlight - we didn't indulge in morning tea.

Another disappointment was our visit to Maggie Beers farm shop. Over priced , over crowded and nothing there that you cant buy in a supermarket. Wont be recommending visitors go there again either.

All up I couldn't recommend Lyndoch Hill. There are many better places to stay in the Barossa

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndoch
Novotel Barossa Valley Resort
Barossa Country Cottages
Lanzerac Country Estate
Lanzerac Country Estate
#1 of 14 in Tanunda

Been to Lyndoch Hill? Share your experiences!