“Not bad but not as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lyndoch Hill

Lyndoch Hill
Ranked #4 of 4 Lyndoch B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Not bad but not as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

When we arrived at Lyndoch Hill my wife and I were expecting something more modern than what we found. Despite the initial disappointment the room was very clean and the beds were comfortable which was all we really needed on this trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked a two night weekend away for me and my fiance for his birthday weekend, it was also our last weekend getaway before our wedding later this year so we were both really looking forward to it, to get away and relax before the final few months of wedding planning stress kicks in! I had seen the deal on Groupon so I called Lyndoch Hill to check that the dates were available before booking where they advised me that I could book the deal directly with them, which I did. It then took me several phone calls over the next few days to get the confirmation email sent to me which was meant to be sent to me when I first booked.
From looking at the photos on their website you would think that the accommodation would be luxury, and just like the deal advertised "Luxury Escape". All I can say is, the photo editing must have been done professionally! When we first arrived our hearts sank. It really did look like a shabby motel. The room was... meh. Very dated, noting modern or luxury about it at all. The bathroom was even more dated! The toilet was like one you find in a public toilet, there weren't any rolls of toilet paper but a paper towel dispenser, very cold and long black hairs all up the tiled walls. (I'm blonde and we had just arrived!)
We did receive the bottle of wine and cheese platter that was included in our package although it really wasn't much of a cheese platter, a couple of ritz biscuits and a few pieces of cheese.
We also had the continental breakfast included in the package however there weren't any pastries available neither of the two days like it advertised on the menu.
The continental breakfast was on the menu for $18.50... for toast and cereal I think its a bit steep so maybe take your own box of cereal with you if its not included in your package!
We ate in the on-site restaurant the first night which was ok, a bit over priced but the food was ok. I think the waitress must have been in training though as I had asked her what two items on the menu were and the descriptions she gave me were completely different to what arrived at the table! (We went and ordered a take away pizza the second night!)
One afternoon, we went into the Barossa Chateau and tried some wines and were hoping for some lunch (as the cafe was still open) however we were advised that they closed the kitchen not long before as they had a wedding on. I understand they are very busy when they have a wedding however they should really allow for extra staff when they have a wedding as they should cater for all of their guests. The lady that worked at the wine tasting was really helpful though and provided several other places to go for lunch... the German Bakery in Lyndoch is amazing! Definately go there!
To sum up, for a birthday weekend away that we were both really looking forward to, it was very disappointing. We would have had more luxury at home. I only wish I had of looked at the other reviews on here before booking, it seems many people had the same experience.
Just to add, the deal on Groupon was advertised for $298 however Lyndoch Hill charged me $299 for booking directly through them. The $1 doesn't matter, but it's just another small thing to add to the list! And when it was a disappointing stay, I could have put that $1 to better use! I wouldn't have minded if it really had of been a 'luxury escape'!

Room Tip: Tips to help travellers choose a good room... go somewhere else!
3 Thank VA1985
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Looking at the photos provided on their website, you would think the accommodation would be lovely. Unfortunately, on arrival I found a dated room which, although tidy, was not what I would consider clean. The bathroom was very old, and only the bare essentials were provided. The carpet needed replacing, or a good steam clean, and the mattress had an awful recess on one side. However, the worst part was not even being able to make ourselves a cup of tea in the morning, the kettle was so old and burnt that the water it boiled was not drinkable.

1 Thank Rachael S

Travellers are raving about these Lyndoch hotels

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights recently . The potential of the place to be first rate is certainly there but at the moment it is a tired, dated and in need of a complete makeover. The room while large enough was drab and uncared for, two light bulbs had blown and they didn't have replacements. A spare lamp was bought in. The taps in the bathroom were really hard to turn off completely to stop the dripping and the toilet ran loudly off and on during the night. The front door had to be really slammed hard to get it closed . The property is in need of much repair and care. Breakfast was served in the bleak dining room, no cloths on the tables and very basic food. The whole experience was such a disappointment and so NOT what was advertised. WIFI was very slow.

Room Tip: Don't stay there until it has been refurbished and standards lifted.
3 Thank Susan O
SA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed in the Residence for 3 nights . It was like a home away from home .the decor is unique with memorabilia and collectables .
The hosts were attentive and professional . Attention to detail in all things .
I highly recommend staying here . There is also a top class restaurant on site and winery .

Room Tip: I liked the Residence , but the choice is yours , and your budget .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank DiColton
Shepparton, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights and while the room was large and somewhat comfortable. It was a disappointing stay. During our stay I became unwell and phoned reception for help finding a GP clinic that could take me. It would seem whoever I spoke with was highly uninformed, and I proceeded to go through a runaround between the Gawler hospital and three different clinics! Eventually I did get into a GP, but I am really disappointed that I wasn't better directed when (in my opinion) being sick while away from home is so horrible, it would've been nice to know exactly who to contact - or even have them contacted on my behalf.
Bare minimum here. Rooms outdated, the compendium was outdated. Maybe if a little more time and money was spent on the rooms and ensuring guests had a comfortable stay this place would be more highly rated. Unfortunately, the beautiful restaurant frontage is highly deceptive. Stay somewhere in the heart of the Barossa!

Room Tip: I wasn't aware there were rooms with balconies until posting my review - definitely try for one...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked this accommodation for a girls weekend in January 2014. The rooms looked great on the website but were very old and dated when we arrived. The bathroom was not very well cleaned, lots of spiders and bugs. We spent a very hot weekend in the Barossa and went to the pool in the evening but as there was no lighting, could not even see each other. The breakfast was very disappointing, on entering the dining area we waited around to be served for over 10 minutes, when no one came we helped ourselves, would have ordered a cooked breakfast if we we were asked. I would not recommend this place at all, was a great disappointment to a long awaited weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dani S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndoch
Novotel Barossa Valley Resort
Barossavilla Guest House
Barossavilla Guest House
#9 of 14 in Tanunda
Discovery Parks - Barossa Valley

Been to Lyndoch Hill? Share your experiences!