“Wine tasting in the Barossa”

Penfolds Barossa Valley Cellar Door
Book In Advance
More Info
US$54.75*
and up
Penfolds Barossa Valley: Make Your Own Wine
Ranked #7 of 19 things to do in Nuriootpa
More attraction details
Owner description: Cellar Door Barossa Valley Since 1844, Penfolds has played a pivotal role in the evolution of winemaking in Australia and across the world. Join one of the Penfolds team for one of the tours available at Nuriootpa Cellar Door. Tailored tastings can also be organised for group bookings and be arranged by contacting the Cellar Door.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Penfolds was our last stop on our wine tasting tour of the Barossa - however it was a little disappointing. After drinking many a bottle of Penfolds over the years I was excited to visit their cellar door to taste something new, however the selection of wines available to taste was quite limited compared to some of the other vineyards we visited. Worth a look as it's beautiful inside, but limited tasting available from our experience.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Shame on us for not getting details about the $150 Grange tasting before paying for it in advance. If we'd know it was the tasting of ONE Grange, I'm not sure we would have done it (kind of like getting one shrimp in an order of shrimp cocktail - it's technically correct but very disappointing). The other wines that were offered varied in quality and price, though most were on the higher end. The pours for all of them were decent (about 100ml, 3oz).
Aside from the lack of Grange, our biggest complaint was with the presentation. We were with another couple who didn't know much about wine - not their fault in the least, but it meant that we had to sit through too many long-winded and very scripted descriptions of the simplest aspects of wine making (much of it read aloud from a book). It was incredibly boring and a touch frustrating. Every question we had was met with a stock answer that could have been given by any Joe on the street.
I have to say that we will never do this tasting again. One of the best things about Barossa is the willingness of many wineries (Torbreck, Greenock Creek etc) to pour highly rated, expensive wines for little to nothing (though far less than 100ml). We'll stick to those experiences rather than paying $150 to taste one Grange along others we didn't care too much about while being talked AT about banal wine topics for an hour.
Oh and to make matters worse, they made it rather hard to book the tasting in the first place. Didn't respond to emails or voicemails. We should have taken it as a sign to pass on it.

3  Thank eh555
Reviewed 2 March 2014

very good service and tasting area. great selection of wines to taste and of course buy. a must visit for all wine lovers.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I did the Grange Experience and had 2 others in our group, as well as our host Ellie (not sure if I have spelled her name correctly).Ellie was extremely friendly and knowledgeable in regard to the wines, and made us feel completely at ease, by the manner in which she conducted herself.I was blown away by the experience, and felt like a kid again (I am 62) in anticipation leading up to actually sampling a 2008 Grange!I was not disappointed with any aspect of the tasting, and just wish to pass on my compliments , in regard to it.
By the way, I have made sure all my friends know how good it was, and told them not to miss the chance to do the same, when they are in the area.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

If you love red wine and fancy yourself as a wine connoisseur then don't miss out at penfolds. The wine tasting and making experience is fun for everyone and you get to take your bottle of wine home.