“Wating all night”

Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: First licensed in 1858, the Caledonian Inn is a historic English style pub in Robe, South Australia. Over the past 157 years the Cally has become a local landmark and the place to come for food and a drink by the beach in summer or by our cosy hearth in winter.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A group of friends, about 20 of us were out for dinner at the cally. It wasn't a busy night.We ordered at around 6:30. When it was 7:30 one persons meals had come out and we asked if the others were on the way. She said yes. Anyway an hour later not everyone had their meal. So we asked the staff if we could have discount as of bad service, she refused. Once all the meals had been served we all talked about that when each of us got our meals it was cold. Very disappointing night not to mention that there was no lighting for us so we had to use our phone lights to see.

There are newer reviews for Caledonian Inn

Reviewed 11 July 2014

So... dinner last night didn't go so well... Its a bit of a shame because its a nice enough place and we've been there once before and it was ok.

I ordered a red wine- I was told it was not in stock.
I ordered a white wine- I was told it was not in stock.
The waitress suggested a red and white wine for us- that was nice enough of her.

I ordered a 250g rib eye- but was told it was not in stock. I was then asked "Is it ok to use the 500g rib eye and cut it in half?". Strange, but whatever.
I ordered it with the special buttery mash, spinach and onion rings and with pepper sauce.

It arrived on the table at least 100g short of the 250g. It was like a "steak nugget". No spinach. No pepper sauce.

I told the waitress who deducted this non-existent $5 sauce from the bill. "Sorry we ran out" I was told.

So by now I was annoyed. Doesn't matter I thought, I'll have another wine :-) Now.. what was it that the waitress ordered for me last time? I'll ask her. The waitress ordered me a "house wine" and charged me for a premium wine. She didn't have a clue and all she had to do was look it up on the computer where she had placed the order!

At the end of the night $101 was the bill. A $31 random bottle of wine was charged to our account? I questioned this, and received my money back. So this brought the total to $70 which was still way too overpriced for what we had.

I probably wouldn't go back here.

1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We have just finished an amazing meal. Ribs just fell off the bone. Beef schnitzel larger than the plate. Gar fish and burger tasty. Nearly had to roll out the door. The fire was an added bonus being a touch chilly. We'll worth the visit.

1  Thank 1973JNeill
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed in Robe for several days and had the best pub meal we have had for years.
Great food, great service, great price and a recommended place to eat

1  Thank Bob J
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were recommended to eat at the Caledonian and it fell short of expectations. Service was friendly and brisk and meals appeared well portioned however lacked pizzazz and to some degree taste! Okay for pub food and perhaps it has been the significant transition to higher qualities in many of these venues that are leaving some behind

2  Thank JummaBee