“Comfy and welcoming”

Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Dan and Lynn make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are well done and clean. The breakfast was incredible. Parking can be a challenge. The provide and ornament at the breakfast table for you to decorate. They then will use the ornament for the Christmas tree. This is a fun activity while you wait on breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank a_good_night_sleep
There are newer reviews for Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and I have traveled the world on business and pleasure. The Carriage House is our roots (she grew up nearby) and we cannot say enough about it. We never comment or review online, having been first adopters of every new technology as part of our jobs, but, we break that rule here. On our last visit, a young couple recently located to the Triangle from Silicon Valley was also staying. We got a thrill knowing they scrambled off to their room after a delicious sleep inn breakfast to check Yelp on both our, and the owners, joint recommendations on how to explore the area up and through Asheville. This is one of those hidden gems, especially in fall, when the leaves are changing, the cool air settles in, and winter is open you. NC is being destroyed at the moment with intense settlement - really destroyed. It is nothing like it was 20 years ago, it is like the whole state is transforming into suburban Atlanta. It is spreading from Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh. Carriage House is the last bastion of true southern culture and life, and I vouch for that. They have it up for sale so there is no telling what will happen. If my company changed their remote working policy back to what it was, we would move back and buy it. I highly recommend staying here as a weekend launch point for South Mtn, or, Chimney Rock. We have friends that stuck around and didn't go after the software corporate multi-national life we did, and they have started small business downtown... restaurants and bars... many former members of 1980a punk bands that have embraced their local heritage. We always look forward to staying here, and, if you want to get married, I highly recommend the church across the street ;)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank B0b_D0bbs
Dan H, Owner at Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

We're glad that you enjoyed your time in Rutherfordton and the foothills. Thanks for pointing out the hidden gems of our area and suggesting that travelers base themselves here for day trips around this beautiful region.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I chose this place because of the amazing reviews for our weekend trip to Chimney Rock-we can understand why now!

When we first checked in, we were met by Dan. All though I was excited about staying, I was a tad nervous about breakfast since I do have some foods I need to steer clear of. Dan took the initiative to address that right away, and discussed with me a few alternatives for my breakfast. I appreciated that tremendously.

We stayed in the Norris room, and could not have been happier! It was the perfect size for us, and being the 'geeks' we are, loved the private balcony that came with the room. The way it was laid out gave us plenty of room to walk through and not feel claustrophobic. We also had a little machine to provide some "white noise" so we didn't hear everyone coming and going with us being right at the front of the home. (and yest I think it worked well!)

We had a shower stall for our private bath, which worked wonderfully. The hot water was instantaneously hot, so we didn't have to wait for it to warm up. With it being an older home, that was amazing. We also had a flat screen mounted to the wall which worked great, as well as a nice clock radio available in the room. The internet worked very well-I never once had connection issues.

The breakfast for both days were outstanding-especially Ms. Lynn's stuffed french toast! (she makes her own bread from scratch for it!) Both are excellent cooks, and I can promise you will never be disappointed!

Overall, we loved our stay, both Dan and Lynn are lovely hosts, and we look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tbower0214
Dan H, Owner at Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you. Thanks for the kind remarks. We'll look forward to your next visit. Hope it's soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed at Carriage house for 2 nights as we had a wedding to go too in Rutherfordton. Days were 19th-20th of April 2013. First Dan and Lynn (owners), made our stay so great. The room was very nice and reminded me of going to my Grandparent's in the 50's ! Our bed room was very nice and clean and old fashion at that. The 2 houses were built like in the early 1800's. Each room was a little different from each other, The grounds were landscapes beautiful with colorful trees and shrubs. They also has a man made waterfalls and creek running in the yard with Koi's. But what really made this place special were Dan and Lynn!!! The breakfasts were tasty and different with Lynn's using her own ideas in each dish. She told us what she was making every morning and if you didn't want what she had planned you could always tell her what you wanted and She made it for you. BUT Her dishes were great, I recommend this say to all who loved BB's and like me it was my 1st stay at one!

Room Tip: THERE WAS 1 ROOM THAT HAD THEIR OWN PORCH, BUT TALKING TO OTHER GUEST WAS WHAT MADE THIS PLACE SO SP...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WILDDOG
Dan H, Owner at Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thanks for your kind words. It's good to know that our efforts pay off with happy customers like you folks. Hope you'll come back soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed in the Coxe Room in Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast for one night during our road trip in the middle of October.

Very lovely house with warm and cosy old style room décor. One could spend the whole day going around and checking all small decorations and the details of the house. On a slightly negative note – the bed was rather old and not very comfortable. Every time I even slightly moved, the bed made big noise that woke me up several times during the night. My boyfriend had much better sleep, since he was wearing the earplugs. So, my advice – get some before going there.

However, all the negative can be forgotten because of one thing – the owners. It is said that every good house has a soul. If so, the soul of that B&B were Dan & Lynn. And a beautiful soul it was. They made me feel like home – truly welcomed and cared about. They took time to talk with us, went extra step to make my boyfriends birthday morning more memorable. Finally, the breakfast was excellent – fresh and individually made for every guest.

All and all – definitely a place to come back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nat S
Dan H, Owner at Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks. We are happy to say that the squeaky antique bed has been fixed and is providing a restful night’s sleep once again (with or without earplugs). We hope that you will have an opportunity to come back and see for yourself.

If you decorated a Christmas ornament while you were here, you may view the video of our 2012 tree on our Facebook page or website. We had over 550 ornaments decorated by guests from 18 countries and over 30 US states. We hope that our Christmas 2013 tree proves to be as amazing as the 2012 tree.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband and I stayed for just one night for a quick getaway to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary, and didn't want to leave! Dan and Lynn are great hosts, that really make you feel welcome. This was our first stay in a bed and breakfast, and we loved it! They have jigsaw puzzles out, in the … read moreparlor, and I loved that! The breakfast was delicious, Lynn really has a talent in the kitchen! I also loved that you didn't have to be at the kitchen table at a certain time to eat, they actually give you a timeframe, which is way more relaxing and convenient. We plan to visit again! -The Cannon's

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DanaC881
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I visited family in North Carolina recently and stayed with Dan and Lynn at their wonderful B&B. I must say, I could not have had a better experience! I stayed in the Coxe room. It was so cozy and comfortable . . . furnished with beautiful antiques befitting the 1800's era of the houses. Dan and Lynn are fantastic hosts. They offer a welcoming haven with respect for your privacy. They are very good at anticipating your needs before you even know them! The breakfasts were out of this world. While I was there I had fruit and coffee every morning. Among the varied menu (which changed daily) I was treated to blueberry pancakes with bacon, spinach and cheese crepes with bacon and stuffed french toast with apples . . . and bacon! I highly suggest that if you're making a trip anywhere near the Blue Ridge Mountains - do yourself a favor and stay with Dan and Lynn at The Carrier House. It will be among your favorite memories.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Connie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherfordton
Holiday Inn Express Forest City
#2 of 5 in Marion
The Firehouse Inn
The Firehouse Inn
#2 of 4 in Rutherfordton

Been to Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!