“Beautiful B&B with some major flaws.”
Review of The Firehouse Inn

The Firehouse Inn
Reviewed 19 August 2014

First of all, the Firehouse Inn couldn't be more beautiful. The owner is a decorator and has spent a lot of money and time decorating the place. My room was huge with a huge closet that was once a vault and enormous bathroom. They have WiFi so it suits travelers.
Now for the bad...I got to Rutherfordton after 7 after a long flight, layover, etc., and even though I had a GPS and it took me directly to the address given, I saw no B&B so I drove around a couple of times and had to ask the only two people on main street (because they roll up the sidewalks at 5:00 pm) and finally went back to the original spot where I finally saw the red sign with red letters, which can only be seen if you get out of your car and look carefully). And did I mention it was raining? I still saw no B&B, only a commercial storefront but I finally saw a small sign on the glass door that said that the entrance to the B&B was around the corner. Okay, so I finally found it. Again, the sign around the corner was about 8 inches by 5 inches and hardly seen from the street on a rainy evening at dusk. I got out in the rain and the door was locked. I rang the bell and no one came. So I had to call the number on the door (what if my phone had been dead? Or what if I didn't have a cell phone?). I was told that there was an envelope in the mailbox with my name on it, a key and instructions. Couldn't they have told me this in the email with my confirmation?? I couldn't read the room number on the outside but, thankfully, it was typed on the inside letter. The next bad thing is that there are no restaurants open on Sunday night except Mi Pueblito so I could either have Mexican or Mexican but It was pretty good and by that time, I needed the Margarita . There is only one other restaurant that is open on Monday, Tues and Wed. So, you have two choices until Thursday when one other restaurant opens for the weekend. Breakfast was served at 8:30, which is really a little late for someone going on business but on Monday morning it was okay. For Tuesday, I needed to be there earlier so when I got back after dinner I tried to call someone so I could get breakfast earlier and no one answered! Okay, so I made my own breakfast since the kitchen is right there and open. I tried to make coffee in the Kierig but I couldn't get it to work. It was different from the one at my office. So after writing a note that it didn't work, I was told that the on/off button was in the back at the bottom and I as informed that others had problems with it as well. So, why not have a sign that gives directions for use??? On Wednesday morning, I had to go to work late again because I had to check out and nobody is there until 7:45 or 8:00. All in all, the room, kitchen and living room were great, the service was BAD. In Italy, the B&Bs are operated similarly but that is just how it is there. Here, when you think of a B&B, you think of having hosts present at least part of the time. And, if they aren't going to be there, let people know, give specific directions, leave instructions and don't leave your guests on the street in the rain!!

Room Tip: Room #1 and Room 3 were large and lovely
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank sfc4749

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

What a great little find, tucked back in such a quaint little NC town. A town, by the way, with a very rich history! Loved walking around on Main St. and of course the Doncaster ladies store down there contributed to the fun! But Firehouse Inn gave us a $25 off coupon!! We had to go! Now about Firehouse Inn..... Best B&B we've ever stayed in, was my husband's comment. The rooms were decorated beautifully! But then the owner is a decorator, I believe, so of course there would be attention to every lovely detail! Great linens! Great soaps/lotions! Beautiful furniture. And CLEAN!!! Very clean!! We are already wanting to go back and take our brother when he and his wife visit from Tucson! And even if we chose to comment on the squeaky floors, it would be positive! We thought it added to the ambience and feel of the building's rich history! We loved it! (We were in Room 2 near the beautiful dining room!) PS..... A very lovely breakfast the next morning and we so enjoyed getting a snippet of a peak into the lives of those we dined with! People are SOO interesting!! And thus we love a B&B........ and especially THIS one!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandMoomie
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at the Firehouse Inn in the summer of 2103 for three weeks during a loved ones illness. It was literally my home away from home.

The room I stayed in was #3 and the poster bed, high ceilings and lack of clutter were so soothing to retire to each night.

Each morning, Sandy (the lovely and friendly Innkeeper), made coffee and a substantial healthy breakfast. There were always fresh homemade baked goods available for the guests for snacks.

During the entire 3 weeks it was never noisy or cramped. It was very clean and in walking distance to the main street of Rutherdton

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Inn is beautiful. Our room was very nice - the bathroom was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed a cup of coffee in the Garden Terrace in the evening (a K-cup machine is available in the kitchen). It's a nice space, but accessing it is a bit odd as you have to walk through the attached design store (which was closed in the evening). Breakfast was fine. The shirred eggs were overdone and quite dry. The biggest disappointment was that there was no Internet access. They have wi-fi, but it has evidently been down for awhile. Another guest and myself had to leave the inn earlier than we had hoped as we needed Internet access to do some work for the day. I would stay again, I just wouldn't plan on being able to work from my room.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you absolutely need Internet access to make sure it is up and running.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmiller387
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I can't begin to tell you how nice this B&B was. The house is so charming and comfy. I can't remember when I've slept so well away from home. The store that is attached to the Inn is also beautiful. I was able to find some very unique earrings that I LOVE!!!!! I was in town for business, but am so glad this is where I stayed. I can't imagine being anywhere else while in Rutherfordton!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Charming, clean B&B in an old firehouse in downtown Rutherfordton, NC. Pleasantly decorated clean rooms with modern baths. Tons of common space that is very nice and includes an outdoor area. Great, helpful staff. Great breakfast! Highly recommend a stay, here!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at The Firehouse Inn for a site visit in preparation for an upcoming work event in Rutherford County. It was a wonderful "home base" for traveling all across the area and the charm of the historic inn, the warmth of the staff, and the attention to detail made for a wonderful stay. My family joined me for the weekend and we opted to make a mini-vacation of our time in Rutherford County. The Innkeeper adjusted my room prior to my arrival to ensure the best experience for me and my family. Our room had a loft with two twins beds, which were perfect for our oldest two (8 and 6 years old), and we brought a pack and play for our two-year old. The excitement of staying in a historic firehouse was a big plus for our children and the attention to detail in decor gave us plenty of ideas for our own home. Breakfast was creative, delicious, and enjoyable (did I mention we have three children). We'll certainly be back and are grateful for such attentive and thoughtful owners/staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherfordton
Holiday Inn Express Forest City
#2 of 5 in Marion
Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast
Carrier Houses Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 4 in Rutherfordton

Been to The Firehouse Inn? Share your experiences!