Dampier Mermaid Hotel Karratha
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Parkby Lodge(Karratha)
View Hotel
Point Samson Resort(Point Samson)
View Hotel
Samson Beach Chalets(Point Samson)
View Hotel
All reviewsred dogpub grubbeer gardenclean bathroommermaidmealsoceangasfoxtelcoast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Hi I stayed here on a work trip I was here for 3 week and in my stay I find the stuff was very friendly and made you feel welcome the rooms are very flash for a mining town that a lot of peple expect the place to be like a 5 star motel but I have strayed at 4 star motel befor and I would raver stay here more the food is very nice I tryed all most every thing on the menu and the size of the meals is that big you can't eat it all. I travel all over the sate staying in a lot of pubs, motel, resorts and camps though my work and take note of all of tham of witch are good stay at witch are not so when I am travling my salf I now where to stay and where not to. I would stay here my salf. Plus if there is a problem with you room or your stay the mangers would love to hear about it so thay can make the place better if they don't know there is a problem they can't fix it. So if you came rember u stay at a hotel motel not at a resort

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your comments and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Mermaid Hotel - Dampier.

Please do visit us again soon!

Anthony Loveridge

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were totally disgusted by the condition of the accomodation here. The bathroom was so mouldy I felt sick, it is a shower you come out of feeling dirtier. The shower head was fused pointing towards the wall so you couldnt really get under it. There was a constant stream of water leaking from the tap (very unwaterwise) and the toilet cistern had such a loud leak it kept me up all night. The linen was old and worn, the plaster falling off the walls, the light fitting had unscrewed itself from the ceiling and was dangling by loose exposed electrical cables. There was grit in the basin like a miner had cleaned his boots in there when we first arrived (until we demanded another room). The room smelt musty. There was a constant flow of old men walking past the room staring inside (you need to leave the door open if you want fresh air - the window doesnt open) and the maintenance man thought it apropriate to use a drill outside our room at 7am to fix the railing (this went on for the three days of our stay). We were refused a refund of the second two days so we could leave early as we had pre-paid for 3 days so we had to stay. Anything at all that Dampier has to offer can be seen on a day trip from Point Samson so Id advise you stay there instead. Dampier has no desire to cater to tourists, they are only interested in Miners and the mining company and the money it brings. Tourism is last on their list of prioroties and we experienced this every place in dampier we went to. They were uninterested in us or helping us. Point Samson on the other hand is warming to you and treats you well.

Room Tip: go else where!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Tammy R
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Dampier Mermaid earlier this month en route to Exmouth.We had been seduced by the descriptions of the area and the beauty of the peninsula.It undoubtedly was beautiful years ago before the big mining companies destroyed the environment. We booked the Mermaid on-line where no mention is made of the appalling nature of the locality where fires burn all night and the hills are covered with towers burning excess waste products.The "hotel" was a disgrace. In reality it is a pub for miners with dirty, inadequate rooms and poor service.There was no staff in reception and a notice advised us to go the bar. This was full of miners, many in their dirty overalls and others just in shorts - nothing else.They were drinking and betting heavily whilst watching the many big TV screens transmitting simultaneously horse-racing, dog-racing, trotting and football.The noise was deafening, the atmosphere intimidating.
We were eventually given a key to our room which made the rooms at Travelodge seem luxurious.The room was dirty with cockroaches and flies in abundance.I sat on a chair. When I got up my shorts were stained with the red dust from the mines that seemed everywhere.If there had been any alternative we would have walked out but arriving late in the evening there was no alternative.The price per room - payable in advance - was $300, more than £200. I had expected that to indicate a high standard of accommodation. It certainly did not do that but merely reflected the high wages of the miners and their ability to pay inflated prices for low-standard accommodation.
The food in the restaurant was O.K but the service awful. Our starters and main courses arrived at the same time. When we queried this we were told that we had not requested that they be served separately!!!!!!!!!!
The place is a dump - and this did seem to be recognised by some of the staff. If you are looking for a pleasant, clean hotel providing value-for-money then do not stay here as it is by far the worst - and one of the most expensive - hotel I have been in for years. If, however, you are looking for a pub with " the hottest skimpy barmaid ever " - as one of the reviewers describes it - then this might just be the place for you. For us, on holiday in Australia, it was a great disappointment. The hotel owners really should indicate the reality of this place on their web-site.
Graham
U.K.

Room Tip: This review relates to a superior room with sea-views(!) and balcony. One could see the sea but also the extensive mining operations and the balcony was covered in red dust from those mines.I do not think there is a good room!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank GrahamJGloucester
Reviewed 3 February 2012

On a recent trip to see our kids & grand children in the Pilbra, we decided to travel to Karratha for a few days.

We ended up staying in Dampier and went to the Mermaid Hotel for diner, what a great choise with a great view.

4 mains and 24 oysters for around $220. Now this may not sound that cheap, but the quantity and quality were unbelievable.

We started with a dozen natural & a dozen kilpatrick oysters. Now if you have to chew or cut an oyster into smaller bits because they are so large - you know you have a big oyster. If one person had to eat a dozen you would not need a main coures. The size in no way affected the taste, they were sensational!

I had the equivalent of surf and turf. Huge does not come close. A steak the size of Tasmania and enough seafood to feed 2 people. Now lets not forget to mention a heap of great chips and salad enough to feed a hord of starving rabbits.

Conversation was limited during diner due to the fact that everyone was so busy enjoying the mouth watering taste sensatons that they forgot about every one else. At one point we all looked up simultaniouswly and started to laugh as no one had said anything for 10 minutes.

The only down point was that we were so full that there was no room for coffee or sweets , and the menu looked so tempting. No a bad way to be hey!

Do yourself a favour, if your in the area, stop for a feed you wont be disappointed, and the alcohol is reasonably priced to.

Room Tip: We did not stay and only had diner
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ianperthwa
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I absolutely live this place it has the best pub and hottest skimpy barmaid ever

• Stayed: December 2011