“Ver average but great staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dampier Mermaid Hotel

Dampier Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dampier
darwin
“Ver average but great staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Beautiful location.
Very small rooms but newly refurbished bathroom which is very nice and new carpet. Bed comfortable, Staff friendly. Obviously utilised by contracters but we heard no noise
Very overpriced however cheap for the going rate in this region.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Dampier Mermaid Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Mermaid Hotel, Dampier.

I was sorry to learn you were disappointed with your room type, should you return to Dampier Mermaid Hotel in the future you might prefer staying in our Ocean View rooms, offering more space in the room generally which may be more accommodating to your preferences.
With the rates, they vary thru out the year may I suggest visiting wotif.com.au or lastminute.com.au, however we are generally the cheapest in the area for motel style accommodation
Thank you again for your review and I hope we will see you again sometime in the future.

Anthony Loveridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We were in Dampier to visit the hubby, knowing that accommodation is at a premium during the school holidays. The kids and I had a lovely time. We found the rooms clean, some bathrooms were being upgraded, ours hadn't but it was clean and functional, the service was fabulous and friendly. As I had the kids with me I didn't visit the sportsmans bar, we were in the Resturant bar, where the ambiance, food and service were excellent. The sportsman bar is for the contractors and locals and not appropriate for kids, but the bar in the Resturant was appropriate for families and children. We enjoyed our time there and would defiantly go again and stay there. Mel at reception was helpful and informative. I would recommend the mermaid to families and everyone else.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and we appreciate the feedback you have given us, this will help us make adjustments in the future to make it more accommodating for all, I am glad you enjoyed your time and I will pass on your kind words to Mel in reception .

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

This place is feral - avoid at all costs. Pubic hairs in the bathroom sink, filthy bathroom, tiny rooms smelled of sewage. Dirty water glasses in the fridge - I could go on ..........When the hotel advertises itself on the net it says nothing about the skimpy barmaids who appear to be offering 'extras' to the contractors residing here. The noise from the bar became worse as the night wore on and the skimpies put on private 'shows' for the punters, we left the bar as it was becoming quite uncomfortable. Totally Unsuitable for families, lone females and couples. On a positive note the backpackers working in the restaurant were very professional and pleasant. My tip is stay elsewhere, at 250 dollars a night why pay four star prices for one star accom in what is essentially a contractors barracks.

• Stayed July 2012
16 Thank alexandmonica
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Hi There,

My Name is Bill Thornton, I fifo from singas (singapore) every three weeks and stay at the Mermaid Hotel, I have been staying there on and off for the past 6 months
After reading some rather interesting feedback statements before hand I thought I would give you my thoughts
Your in the Pilbara, thankfully my company pays for my exsistance, regardless Mermaid delivers on clean rooms, brand new bathrooms and great aussie grub pub food.

I can see if your not part of the boom that you may find this expensive, but my company has shopped around and Mermaid is at the cheaper end.

The front bar is a blast with backpacker chicks looking after you a TAB, plus flat screens everywhere and Jac Jac a little jack russel roaming around the from bar...just fantastic when else in the world do you find that.
And you can get away with blue murder in the front bar as long as you stay underneath the radar, some of the stuff that goes on is bloody funny dancing on the tables on a friday night, music full tote, it was a time that will stay with me for a long time

anyway thats my thoughts, Mermaid is good fun no matter who you are, just dont think you are going to a resort,
I have had a blast keep up the good work guys

Bill

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bill t
Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Mermaid Hotel - Dampier.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Hi I stayed here on a work trip I was here for 3 week and in my stay I find the stuff was very friendly and made you feel welcome the rooms are very flash for a mining town that a lot of peple expect the place to be like a 5 star motel but I have strayed at 4 star motel befor and I would raver stay here more the food is very nice I tryed all most every thing on the menu and the size of the meals is that big you can't eat it all. I travel all over the sate staying in a lot of pubs, motel, resorts and camps though my work and take note of all of tham of witch are good stay at witch are not so when I am travling my salf I now where to stay and where not to. I would stay here my salf. Plus if there is a problem with you room or your stay the mangers would love to hear about it so thay can make the place better if they don't know there is a problem they can't fix it. So if you came rember u stay at a hotel motel not at a resort

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Mermaid Hotel - Dampier.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were totally disgusted by the condition of the accomodation here. The bathroom was so mouldy I felt sick, it is a shower you come out of feeling dirtier. The shower head was fused pointing towards the wall so you couldnt really get under it. There was a constant stream of water leaking from the tap (very unwaterwise) and the toilet cistern had such a loud leak it kept me up all night. The linen was old and worn, the plaster falling off the walls, the light fitting had unscrewed itself from the ceiling and was dangling by loose exposed electrical cables. There was grit in the basin like a miner had cleaned his boots in there when we first arrived (until we demanded another room). The room smelt musty. There was a constant flow of old men walking past the room staring inside (you need to leave the door open if you want fresh air - the window doesnt open) and the maintenance man thought it apropriate to use a drill outside our room at 7am to fix the railing (this went on for the three days of our stay). We were refused a refund of the second two days so we could leave early as we had pre-paid for 3 days so we had to stay. Anything at all that Dampier has to offer can be seen on a day trip from Point Samson so Id advise you stay there instead. Dampier has no desire to cater to tourists, they are only interested in Miners and the mining company and the money it brings. Tourism is last on their list of prioroties and we experienced this every place in dampier we went to. They were uninterested in us or helping us. Point Samson on the other hand is warming to you and treats you well.

Room Tip: go else where!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tammy R
Gloucester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Dampier Mermaid earlier this month en route to Exmouth.We had been seduced by the descriptions of the area and the beauty of the peninsula.It undoubtedly was beautiful years ago before the big mining companies destroyed the environment. We booked the Mermaid on-line where no mention is made of the appalling nature of the locality where fires burn all night and the hills are covered with towers burning excess waste products.The "hotel" was a disgrace. In reality it is a pub for miners with dirty, inadequate rooms and poor service.There was no staff in reception and a notice advised us to go the bar. This was full of miners, many in their dirty overalls and others just in shorts - nothing else.They were drinking and betting heavily whilst watching the many big TV screens transmitting simultaneously horse-racing, dog-racing, trotting and football.The noise was deafening, the atmosphere intimidating.
We were eventually given a key to our room which made the rooms at Travelodge seem luxurious.The room was dirty with cockroaches and flies in abundance.I sat on a chair. When I got up my shorts were stained with the red dust from the mines that seemed everywhere.If there had been any alternative we would have walked out but arriving late in the evening there was no alternative.The price per room - payable in advance - was $300, more than £200. I had expected that to indicate a high standard of accommodation. It certainly did not do that but merely reflected the high wages of the miners and their ability to pay inflated prices for low-standard accommodation.
The food in the restaurant was O.K but the service awful. Our starters and main courses arrived at the same time. When we queried this we were told that we had not requested that they be served separately!!!!!!!!!!
The place is a dump - and this did seem to be recognised by some of the staff. If you are looking for a pleasant, clean hotel providing value-for-money then do not stay here as it is by far the worst - and one of the most expensive - hotel I have been in for years. If, however, you are looking for a pub with " the hottest skimpy barmaid ever " - as one of the reviewers describes it - then this might just be the place for you. For us, on holiday in Australia, it was a great disappointment. The hotel owners really should indicate the reality of this place on their web-site.
Graham
U.K.

Room Tip: This review relates to a superior room with sea-views(!) and balcony. One could see the sea but also...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank GrahamJGloucester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dampier
Karratha International Hotel
#4 of 7 in Karratha
Comfort Inn & Suites Karratha
BEST WESTERN Karratha Central Apartments
Discovery Parks - Pilbara, Karratha

Been to Dampier Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!