“An oasis in the outback” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wave Rock Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hyden
Wave Rock Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hyden
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“An oasis in the outback”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

This is a really nice hotel on the edge of Hyden (ie short walk to town!). The room had an upgraded bathroom with nice plush towels, and the bedroom (not upgraded yet) was good with nice linen and comfortable bed. The hotel offers a typical country front bar, a comfortable lounge area, busy bistro or buffet restaurant. There is even a heated pool. For a relatively remote town, this place was surprisingly good.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

After 4 hours drive then climbing wave rock, this room was a pleasant change. Great shower etc. We had single beds which were a little narrow but suitable for one night stay. We paid $162 for the night.
We ate at the bistro part of the hotel. My cook your own chicken kebabs were yummy and salads were good. My friend chose fish & chips a la carte. Her fish was raw inside the batter so she didn't eat it.
We had brekky in Hyden bakery which is walking distance to the motel. Fresh bread rolls /croissants and coffees were delicious.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julene M
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Although the only accommodation in Hyden is was an excellent place to stay. We ate in the general area ( dinning room service is also available ) where you cook your own meat ( various cuts ) on a large barby, That was excellent,as general conversation to be had while cooking. A salad/hot vegie bar was available to add too your plate. breakfast was a bit poor in the dinning room. We arrived about 8.30am and found limited hot food available. Rubber bacon. Overall a top spot. The surrounds were what you would expect of grain farming country Australia.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wisky4
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Friendly welcome . A convenient clean and comfortable one night stopover to see Wave Rock. V helpful map at Reception which saved us 2 hrs journey from Hyden to Kalgoorlie in r non 4 wheel drive . We can't comment on restaurant facilities etc as didn't use them. Room had kettle , toaster , tea towell!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jennifer E
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

The rooms are pretty dated, but no more than I was expecting. Honestly, I was there to see the region, not the inside of my hotel room!

I selected an Executive Suite, as I was travelling with my dog, and these rooms include an enclosed courtyard. The staff allowed me to have my dog in the courtyard, which was much appreciated, and preferable to her sleeping in the car.

The phone in my room was not working, which meant I couldn't make or receive calls, and I had no reception on my mobile (something travellers should be aware of!). Because of this, the staff kindly offered me use of their phone so I could ring my husband and let him know we'd arrived safely.

One thing to note is that the rooms are not very sound-proof. The people in the suite next to mine ran the spa for over 45 minutes, until after 9:30pm, and I could hear it droning away. I could also hear most of their conversation, so perhaps it's not the best place for romantic times, if you get my drift!

Overall I was very happy, and would choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the $30-odd extra and upgrading to an Executive Suite (the one with the spa...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Australian_Argonaut
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our family has been lucky enough to be able to travel to Hyden and meet Sheenagh and experience the fantastic Hyden Wave Rock Motel. Travelling in the country, you expect a different experience from what the city has to offer. The Wave Rock Motel did not disappoint. From the old country charm of the executive suite to the standard motel rooms which are currently undergoing major refurbishment, our family have nothing but positive memories of our time there. Upon checking in, the staff made my children feel like friends and nothing was too hard for Sheenagh to arrange to make our trip a memorable one. My husband was able to drink a beer and cook the evening meal on the indoor BBQ exactly to our liking, whilst our children were able to play in the play area with all the other kids - and the quality of the meat was exceptional. There is so much more to do in Hyden than only see the rock, and the Wave Rock Motel is a fantastic place to base yourself to explore the area.

Room Tip: The rooms are currently being revamped to include new carpet, new kitchenette, new bathroom faciliti...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank StephanieStuart
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

The room was small for a couple and crammed for three of us. The beds were comfortable. While we booked 3, there were only tea making supplies for 2 which was probably an oversight. Choices of dining were excellent and we chose the grill it yourself option which was good quality and value. Because a coach party occupied the lounge bar, it was difficult to order a pre dinner drink. Drinks by the bottle only were available in the grill restaurant. Overall the property is ageing and there is a distinct lack of maintenance evident with many lights not working requiring replacement globes particularly on the walkways to the rooms. Cobwebs on the ceiling of our room showed further lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room if there are 3 of you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dianne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyden
Mary's Farm Cottages
Mary's Farm Cottages
#1 of 3 in Lake Grace

Been to Wave Rock Motel? Share your experiences!