“Best kept secret on the Crystal Coast”
Review of Oak Grove Motel

Oak Grove Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Salter Path B&B and Inns
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Best kept secret on the Crystal Coast”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I've been staying in and around this area for over 30 years. About 10 years ago, I found this place and fell in love! It's been owned by the same family for over 50 years, and they make you feel at home when you stay with them. It's down-to-earth and nothing fancy,but that's ok. Beach access is great, and the rocking chairs in front of each room invite you to sit outdoors in the evening. Mr. Smith passed away a couple of years ago, but his wife and the girls are doing an excellent job keeping it going. How many places can you stay where you actually get to know the owners? The dogs are fun and my friends and I have met lots of nice people over the years. Ditch the fancy, expensive hotels and come back down to earth - you won't regret it. Away from the beach rat race, but there's plenty to do nearby. Love it, and would hate to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the older part of the motel, but all are fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank star23fish

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Raleigh
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I used to live in Atlantic Beach, and my fiancee and I always said we'd stay at some of the cool, older hotels/motels when we made our way back to the coast. We decided to stay at the Oak Grove after stopping by a few months earlier to ask about the place. They showed us a room and allowed us to look around.

Yesterday, we finally made it back and we picked the OG. It reminded me a little of a Cooperstown, N.Y. hotel room, except on the beach.

Yes, the place is a bit dated. Some of the furniture is old and such, but when you pick a place like this, I'm guessing you should expect that. My only complaint was that the showerhead was very old and rusted. This gave the water from the shower an iron smell, which gives you an iron smell. Fix that, and it's great...

The staff was nice and helpful. It's a nice little tucked away pleasure. Wasn't expensive and they allow dogs with a small fee. Always a plus!

If you are looking for the W, go somewhere else. If you're looking for a nice quiet place to sleep in between visits to the beach and restaurants while on vacation, this is your place...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Randy J
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and 4 children stayed here last year in June. We had a wonderful time. The hosts are awesome and the location is perfect. No it is not a hotel, but we were looking for affordability, comfort and as close to the beach as possible. We truely loved it and look forward to returning soon. there is a wooden walkway right behind the motel and it leads right onto a spacious beach that was like our own, as noone was ever there but maybe a few other motel guests.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank jessesgrl42
Flat Rock, IL
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This motel has an amazing feel to it. The staff is welcoming, the room feels like a little apartment with a cute kitchen. They welcomed my dog and made us really feel at home. Its a small walk to the beach and at night, its so quiet you can hear the waves hitting the beach. There are no carpets, so its really easy to keep the sand cleaned up. They even keep a broom in the room! We will return and would recommend this place to everyone! Stay here, its economical and you couldnt ask for better surroundings! I hated to leave!

• Stayed October 2013
7 Thank TruckerCouple
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I went to the beach for our 6th anniversary. We stayed here and it was perfect. you couldn't ask for a better hotel or location. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We are already planning our next trip and plan on staying with them again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cstamey2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I took our grandson to the beach for the first time and stayed here for the first time. We loved it. It was my grandson's birthday and his first without his parents. You see, they both passed away in the fall of 2012. I wanted to show my grandson that staying with down to earth individuals, was much better than staying with the nose so far up in the air they need oxygen. It was like going to spend the weekend with my best friends, instead of, going to impress the Jones's. Our bed's were made every day and we had clean towels everyday. We socialized with the owners and met their awesome motel housekeeper. By the way, I'm sorry we did not leave a tip for you for the awesome job you did. We'll be back and we will make it up to you. If you want to pay out the a--- for a place to sleep and shower, go stay in a hightower. If you want to make friends and use that extra money to have fun on the beach and seeing what the area offers, then I suggest you stay with the great folks at Oak Grove Motel. My family loved it. The only thing I can say that needs improvement is, please invest in new matresses. I'm not as young as I used to be. I need that back support. Love you guys. We will be back soon!!!

Room Tip: Room # 10 is right in the breezeway and at the boardwalk to the beach. If you have kids, they have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank thine0923
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you are not a huge fan of the chain hotels and enjoy local flavor tied in with a simple experience, then the Oak Grove will do for you. My wife and I stopped in on a whim to see what the rates were (as well as availability) and found the quaint little hotel as well as the charm of the setting very enjoyable. No, there is not a pool, which could be a family deal breaker, but we came for the larger pool called the Atlantic located about 100 yards down a wooden trail preserved by President Roosevelt years ago. We were in room 11 which had kitchen features that suited us just fine. Would stay again without issue!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#5 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Islander Inn & Suites
Islander Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Emerald Isle
Oceanview Inn
Oceanview Inn
#3 of 3 in Emerald Isle

Been to Oak Grove Motel? Share your experiences!