“What You See Is What You Get” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of William and Garland Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salter Path
William and Garland Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Salter Path
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“What You See Is What You Get”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My family and I stayed at the William & Garland Motel from 30 Aug - 3 Sep 2013. I won't waste your time so I'll tell you why you shouldn't stay here first and then tell you why you should stay here.
You shouldn't stay at the W&G Motel, because the fixtures are old and outdated. This is a no frills motel and you get barebones necessities. If you go on vacation looking for all the comforts of home and then some, this isn't the place for you.
Now here is why you should stay at the W&G Motel. This is a family operated business and the folks that run the place are as old the the fixtures, but there is this old cliché about Southern Hospitality, well these people are anything, but a cliché. They are a throw back to the old times and they take making your stay extremely important. Our microwave went out on the first day and despite our protests that another wasn't necessary, they had a brand new one installed the very next day. As I mentioned our stay was over the Labor Day weekend. How does $65 a night sound for a single efficiency? I doubt you'll top that anywhere in the area.. I said the fixtures were old and it's true, but they all functioned and they were all clean. This place is Pet Friendly and unlike other places in the area their pet fee is extremely reasonable, only $5 extra, unlike other places who charge you close to $100, which isn't very pet friendly in my eyes. The motel sits directly on the main road and there are numerous fish houses within walking distance of the motel. That's right I said walking distance, a 5 minute walk at tops. Now the reason most people come to the beach, is to actually go soak up the rays and play in the waves and W&G has this little walkway that takes you right down to the beach, a 5-10 minute walk depending how much stuff you drag down to the waves with you.
I think this place is a great deal and if you're like me and go to the beach for the food, the waves, and some fishing, well this is definitely the place to go. I know I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: The rooms are small so if possible go with the next size up, the cost is negligible.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ncexnyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is a minimal motel, but the price reflects that. Located on North Carolina's Crystal Coast, it is about 5 miles south of Atlantic Beach. This motel was built in the 50s(?) ... the proprietor said the initial price for an overnight stay was $5. Times have changed on the Crystal Coast and it is hard to find a place on the strand that is not well over $100 per night. The outside and grounds of this small motel are well kept. The rooms are clean and have new window AC units. The shower is tiled. Otherwise, rooms are very small and sparsely furnished. No breakfast.

But the reason my wife and I stayed here is the SECRET .... a passage from the backyard of the motel directly to a secluded portion of the beach on the Ocean. 100 yards at the most. So you can carry your chairs & cooler, but still run back to use the bathroom. Now that's hard to find and that's why we stay there. Please keep it a secret. (Also, there is a good seafood restaurant directly across the street.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank MisterEd7
Ehrhardt, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was our first stay at William & Garland.This is a great place to get away from everyday worries and relax. William & Peggy are great people and treated us like family. You don't find people like this very often anymore. Had a great time. Several good restaurants and a fresh seafood market within easy walking distance. Will definately go back!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mdrsc
Chapel Hill NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

First off this is a very basic motel. A bed to lay your head. A T.V, Microwave, Refrigerator, shower, toilet and a full kitchen if that is the type of room you desire. Motel and its property is very old, but very well kept by the owners. This place is very quite most of the time. The owners are very hard working, but easy going friendly folks. The husband told me he grew up in the house in the front of the property(not for rent) and he and his wife had been running this motel for 49 years. That is a very long time without a vacation away from your work. I brought my dog along on this trip and must say the owners are very pet friendly. They have four dogs of their own. Last but not least, you cannot beat the YEAR ROUND rates at this motel. The rates don't change no matter the season. WiFi is available.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to back of the property are probably the quietest because they are closest the owners h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bren611
Old Fort, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Just returned from 4 days at William and Garland. What a wonderful place and so pet friendly. The owners are wonderful people and keep the place immaculate. We love small out of the way places and this was the cleanest, friendliest and most enjoyable place we have found. This is the way the beach used to be. We can't wait to go back again. Thank you Peggy and William for making our stay so enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 53Debra
The Southern USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We have stayed at the William and Garland Motel several times over the past few years. It's very tough to find dog-friendly accommodations at the beach, much less at a reasonable price. So you tend to take what you can get.

What I find funny is that not many reviewers have mentioned what a throwback this place is. Inside these rooms, time stopped in 1968. Seriously. Walls are paneled all the way around, the original furniture remains, the floor is linoleum ... it's actually quite hilarious if you don't know what to expect once you arrive, lol! I wish I'd taken photos. If I can find them from our past visits, I'll add them.

This doesn't bother us, as when we go to the beach, we want a clean place with decent AC and enough room to spread out a bit. That's it. TV is not important. "Fancy-ness" in general is not important. So this place suits us just fine.

That said, here's the breakdown, cumulative over 5 or so stays in the past 4 years....

Pros: Low rates. Full kitchen, including large fridge and a place to sit down and eat. Fast, easy access to beach. Within easy walking distance of OK food if you don't feel like cooking. Spacious rooms. Bonus points for actually washing the bedspreads daily -- we saw them with our own eyes being removed from rooms.

Cons: My primary beef is with the water at the W&G. Specifically, the pipes. The pipes are so old and corroded that the water -- sink, shower, whatever -- has the most awful, metallic smell. I haaaaaaaaaate pointing this out, because we really kinda like this place and the owners are lovely, but it's true. :( This is not unusual at older beachfront hotels/motels, but it's noticeably bad here. I would want to know if I booked this place for a week. It's bad enough that I will no longer shower there (which for us is not an issue, since we always come down when our family gets a house nearby and I can shower there). I even brush my teeth with bottled water and use hand sanitizer instead of washing my hands in the room. :( Maybe this doesn't bother some people, but I tried to bear it for years and finally gave up.

It also may bother you that dogs bark here and there. Doesn't bother me much since we bring our dog along, but our neighbor left her dog out all night and he yowled a bit now and then. YMMV.

Lastly, I did notice on our most recent trip that our room could have used a more thorough dusting. This is not consistent with our previous experiences at W&G so I have to believe it was an oversight.

Were it not for the water / pipes issue, I could and would give W&G 5 stars across the board.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LiteWallet
Deltona, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

The owner is a friendly and accommodating lady. The room I was in (101 I believe. it was the first one on the right as you drive in) was basic. Bed, Window unit AC, mini fridge, small tv, bathroom with shower. Which is all I needed, someone people I saw complained about the size of the tv. If you're going to watch tv on your vacation more than going out and making memories, I think you're doing it wrong but that's just my opinion. The rooms were cleaned daily. The window unit AC worked fine, which I was thankful for in the July heat (which you don't really feel when you are at the beach and the breeze is contantly blowing). I would have liked to have had a carpet of some kind though. As I droug sand in from the beach trips via the path this motel has. They have a water spigot, but sand finds a way some how. Parking is a little cramped, and the driveway is steep so if you have a car close to the ground be warned. Overall I believe I would stay again so long as the rates don't change drastically.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank AwesomeAdrian108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salter Path
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#2 of 5 in Morehead City
BEST WESTERN Plus Silver Creek Inn
Islander Inn & Suites
Islander Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Emerald Isle

Been to William and Garland Motel? Share your experiences!