“It's in the Pilbara, it's expensive part II”
Review of Tom Price Motel

Tom Price Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tom Price
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This place used to be a country pub. Now it is full of fluoro shirts & loud voices. It must have changed management some months ago, completely different crew since I was last there. The rooms are old style country motel, some must have been renovated, I could still smell the paint in my room, the bathroom had been re-tiled, but the windows were still dirty!

Be sure to ask for a room in the motel, not one of the donghas (portable buildings) they are the same price & way too small.

The restaurant is in what would have been the "lounge" bar. The food is adequate (to be kind) & expensive for what it is. Drinks are at mining town prices & service is poor. If you HAVE to go to Tom Price, this is the place to stay, I will try to find a way not to stay in the future. The mining boom has not been kind to WA!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Graham B

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Seriously this is a small old mining town to expect anything other than basic would be fooloish. It's old and rundown but with the lack of other options what can you do, in this day and age of the mining boom expect to pay top dollar for an old rundown donga. these rooms are mostly rented out to mining company's so they can charge what they like.
If you expect to stay in the Hilton dont come to Tom Price or the pilbara at all for that matter!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Well I stayed in the dongas out the back and its your typical donga style accommodation. Rooms are very basic, TV, fridge but small with a fairly ordinary bed. Mind you its what you'd expect, nothing more. Bottle shop is well stocked (well it is a mining town), the bar has no soul and the food is average. So, that an average rating overall...no real surprise then!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this establishment, and I have been disappointed on both occasions. I have expressed this to people I am travelling with, who also feel the same.
The town folk also feel the same about this establishment.

On attending I requested to upgrade my room from a single to a queen, and only received a double.
We then attended the bar for lunch at 1.50pm to get left standing for over ten minutes. Once served, we proceeded to order our meals. This order was refused due to the restaurant service closing at 2pm.
I also attempted to sleep in the afternoon. I failed with this attempt due to the room next to mine having three children in it. On attending the receptionist office to request a room change or the staff to resolve the issue, i found the reception closed at 4pm in the afternoon. I then proceeded to the bar of the hotel to resolve the issue and found the staff were unable to attend to this due to bar service.
The next morning, I was awoken at 6am in the morning due to the children in the room next door. Eventually, after getting out of bed, i attended the reception to discuss the sleep issue and they just smiled and said they were sorry, and that I should have reported it the day before? Go figure?
After lodging this complaint, i requested that i was not charged anything for the room, and she was going to enquire with a supervisor in regards to this. This was 9am.
I then attended the restaurant for breakfast to find out I had missed service by 2 minutes due to the complaint being lodged. I attended the reception again, only to be told that service stops at 9am, and there was nothing that could be done.
I then went back to my room to shower and change, as i had an appointment at 9.45am.
The shower was only a dribble, as it had no pressure due to the other rooms utilising the water pressure. This delayed me by about twenty minutes as i waited for the pressure to come back.
I eventually had a cold shower, and attended the reception to check out.
The same girl would not assist in a price adjustment of my room charge, and said I had to wait until she had spoken to the supervisor to adjust it, and could not check out until then.
As i had an appointment, I paid the charges and departed, and found from other people in the reception area that this was common amongst the guests.
I will be seeking legal action for a refund in regards to this, and will be utilising other guests statements for this process.
I also found the male staff that work here to be extremely arrogant and non-assistive. Whilst the females were very meek and just listened and said they could not offer any compromises to resolve the issue.
There is a high percentage of staff from India here, who also struggle to understand or speak English.

Room Tip: Avoid and try other places such as caravan park or lodge. I have not tried them. But, have heard the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Kurteos
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed there to visit Karjini National Park for 2 nights and can only second all other reviews written about this place. Price of AUD 170 is ridiculous for the room considering you're sharing it with bugs and get to hear every one of your neighbours noises. Worst accomodation of our whole stay in WA.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
10  Thank Bebbi71
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We stayed here on our way to Karijini. Unfortunate choice!
The room was very small, very worn out. The price, 170AUD, excessive. It's not even worth 50AUD!
Had the impression they are not interested in tourists, they give them the worst room at the highest price, keeping the other rooms, better equipped and larger, I've have seen some, for frequent customers (it was full of miners staying the whole week/month).

Really much much better the Karijini Lodge (ex Windawarra), with a clean and good buffet restaurant. I don't know their rates though, I didn't ask.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank stellao
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The first time I stayed here I very nearly slept in my car so as to not have to sleep in the spider infested bed. The shower was full of dead flies, dead cockroaches littered the bathroom floor and the toilet had not been flushed since the last person to use the room departed. I had my suspicions as to whether or not the sheets on the bed had even been changed. Thankfully, after a polite request, I was moved to a slightly more livable room in which I was relatively convinced that the sheets were clean, even if several tiles were missing out of the shower recess and the bathroom smelt of a rather putrid substance, whatever that may have been. During subsequent stays, I think I would have had a more peaceful sleep on the tarmac at Perth airport, directly under the engines of a Boing 747, due to a very old and decrepit air conditioner!

Unfortunately it is one of very few accommodation providers in the area and due to supply and demand they are able to charge top dollar for an absolutely appalling product. It is a disgrace. If you have a choice . . . don't stay here!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
10  Thank katewitton

Been to Tom Price Motel? Share your experiences!