“Extra Charges”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Shelby
Asheville, NC
“Extra Charges”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

For a Holiday Inn Express, this isn't a bad hotel. It's probably the best option in Shelby. Unfortunately, the hotel decided to charge me for another 2 nights stay after my 2 night visit. When I called and inquired about the charges, I was told that I indeed stayed at the hotel for a total of 4 nights when I really only stayed there 2 nights total. I explained very calmly that they must be mistaken, but they were pretty rude and thought I was lying. After a week of going back and forth with management they finally came to the realization that their computer system had a glitch and charged me for 2 extra nights. I would have appreciated a bit more tact on their part during this inquiry.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank macgaddy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Shelby NC, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear macgaddy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

While we are very happy that you chose our hotel for your this stay, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects during your visit. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had and for the dissatisfaction the level of service provided by our staff has caused you.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We look forward to being of service to you again.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Checking in hotel was easy and the desk clerk was pleasant. We needed extra linens and were given what we needed. Breakfast the following day was good. Hotel was renovated about 3 months ago and they did a great job. Room was clean and did not have any issues. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. You will not go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mrholiday30
Chattanooga
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Having never been to Shelby, I was leery of some of the hotels based on not so great reviews. This place had the best rating, bar none and is well deserved. It is actually located on the Cleveland Mall property. It's important to know that, because all of the driving directions I got on line had me making a U-turn and going back to the hotel---nope, just turn into the mall!

I know that some people have given this place a less than stellar review, but we had a pretty good experience. I find it hard to believe that it was so different from what other have written, but that happens.

Let's look at the not so great first:
The elevator rattled on the way up, but not on the way down.
The hallway seemed quite narrow.
The bathroom door did not 'click' when shut so you could push on it and it would open.
Had to call a person in another room and couldn't hear anything after hello. She could hear me, but I couldn't hear her at all.
Room never got dark enough for my personal liking--I like it really dark
Someone had opened and used a very small amount of the mouthwash.

That's it for bad.

We had a queen suite with the fridge and microwave. Both were clean.
The room was very roomy with a decent size sink and mirror. Yes, it was just inside the door, but since it was a 'split bath' set up (sink separated from toilet and tub) I don't know where else they could have put it in that room.
The wi-fi worked well for us.
The beds were amazingly comfortable-once we went to sleep, that was it for the night. Great pillows and one of the best night's sleep I've had in a hotel lately.
We got bottled water and a snack at checking-freebie!
Never heard any noise from the hallway...very quiet.
The food offering in the morning was better than most. Biscuits and gravy, cheese omelettes, muffins, several cereals and lots of beverage choices.
Breakfast was ready early (we had to be on the road quiet early that morning) and it was hot and ready when we were.
Every single employee we met was polite, friendly, and very helpful giving us directions to where we needed to go that night.

Would we stay here again? Yes! It was a clean, safe place for us to stay in a strange town.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TNCELTICLADY
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It wasn't clear to me how old this facility is, but my room appeared to have been refurbished not long ago. A couple of choices they made in the room were odd. First, when you walk in the door, you are met by the sink. Now maybe it's because I have not seen this layout before that it struck me as strange, but I found that I didn't care for having my toiletries on display to the world every time I opened the door. Also, the choice of cool white CF bulbs in the main room and bathroom rendered the space sterile and unwelcoming. Lastly, what is the deal with the satellite TV programming? The little card in the room lists all the analog channels, but when you start surfing down to the 80s, all the digital channels start showing up - many three or four times. Perhaps this is the norm for satellite TV (I'm a cable user), but it made the evening ritual of channel surfing nearly impossible. The HVAC does not have a wall thermostat, but rather is controlled by the analog knob on the device under the window. A cold spell had hit Shelby, presenting me with a cold room upon my arrival. The heat worked very well, but because I had to guess where to turn the knob to get about 70, I spent the rest of the night dialing the heat down because it had gotten oppressively hot. Perhaps because the hotel was not full, I did not find external sounds (parking lot, hallway, slamming doors) intrusive.

Outside of my room, staff were generally courteous, breakfast serviceable and the evening something (manager's reception?) was fine.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Midwest
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stay at LOTS of hotels. Very Nice people here but Not top of the Holiday Inn line.

Hotel is "stick" built so you hear every toilet flush, footsteps and door closing in the place. Rooms are nicely furnished but they have the wrong colored fluorescent light bulbs in every lamp and fixture. A bit like being in an operating room or a 1950's kitchen. They would do so much better to replace the cool light with a warmer fluorescent. I would NOT come back based on the uncomfortable feeling in the room generated by the awful lighting

Bathroom was tired... cracking calk, dirty corners on the linoleum floor.

Hotel lobby had on FOX news but we were able to get them to change the channel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Room was unbearably musty, smelled like the basement of an old house. AC unit had little rocks blowing around in it. Shower curtain had a strong mildew odor. No other rooms were available. Repeated attempts to get the manager to call me were in vain. Finally reached her 3 days later. She was rude and defensive. Said the room was fine, and that I got a discounted rate (AAA). She offered to give me extra priority points, but never sent the email confirmation.

Room Tip: You can't tell from the outside, but this is an old hotel that has been renovated.