“Semi Suite”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Shelby
Tucson, Arizona
“Semi Suite”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is very good for what it is...Not a boutique property or upscale hotel but a Holiday Inn right off the highway, behind a McDonald's and adjacent to a pretty mediocre "mall". There are very few options in Shelby where we were visiting my brother and his family (4 rambunctious boys who we love but prefer some quiet time in a hotel rather than family accommodations) and this one was the best we could come up with. The room we had was listed as an Executive Suite but was really not a traditional suite with a separate bedroom. Okay, that all sounds rather negative but once you accept that there are not a lot of options in Shelby, this was actually quite nice. The room was large and clean with enough chairs to accommodate seating for 6 people around a coffee table. It is across the hall (just 5 feet away) from a small workout room and out the door is the pool. The hotel people, in fact everyone in North Carolina, were incredibly friendly and helpful. We came away thinking southern hospitality is not a myth. People stopped us on the street and began chatting. We are from Tucson, a very friendly city but North Carolina definitely has us beat. The lobby was surprisingly nice for what I expected for a Holiday Inn. The breakfast was fine...again, not gourmet but exceeded my expectations. Unless Shelby suddenly sports a Ritz Carlton, we will continue to stay at the Holiday Inn Express when visiting my brother.

Room Tip: The Executive Suite we had was a corner room with the exercise room and pool just steps away. It was...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TucsonSusan
Crystal P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Shelby NC, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again with your return to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manteo, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here before visiting Gardner-Webb University with a prospective student. I am glad I read some other reviews, as it made it much easier to find the property without having to turn around. It is on the street behind mcdonalds. :) The front desk clerk was very poilte. When I inquired about the pool, she told me it was closed and then offered us YMCA passes instead. That was awesome, although we were unable to make use of that facility. Our room was clean, the property was good. There was nearby construction outside our room, but no noise came through. My only issue was the breakfast. I was looking forward to bacon...but there was none. The eggs and sausage were really fake & gross tasting, but there were other options that worked,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank snippychick
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that we could accommodate you. We are sorry that we didn't have bacon out that day of your stay. Next time let us know that you would like to have some bacon and we will be more than happy to cook you some!!
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was good. The breakfast selections were well stocked even after 30 college baseball players wiped the breakfast selections clean. Mary Lester, the breakfast hostess, did an amazing job of re-stocking breakfast items in a friendly and cheerful manner!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again upon your return to our area.
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Our sons wedding was held in Shelby, NC this past weekend. We chose The Holiday Inn Express for all of the out of town wedding guest. The hotel is kept very very clean. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The breakfast each morning was appreciated and really very good with omelets, sausage and gravy, fresh biscuits, muffins and pastries. And the staff are all very friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel manager was easy to work with and very helpful. In all, it was a perfect place for our family and friends and everyone enjoyed their stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel if you need a place to stay in Shelby, NC.

Room Tip: They tried to put all of our rooms together on the first floor which was very nice. We all left our...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments!! We are glad that you and the wedding party enjoyed your stay!!
Lenoir, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The staff at the hotel were great to work with! The hotel manager Karen has always been so helpful and kind when we have stayed at this location. The room has always been clean and the staff goes the extra mile for their guest. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel if you need to stay in Shelby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again upon your return to our area.
Wheaton, IL
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I originally come from Cleveland County, NC and still have tons of family in the area. I'd like to come down more frequently but I do come down often enough to be pretty familiar with what the town has to offer in terms of hotels, restaurants, etc., etc. I was happy to see that Holiday Inn Express had come into town relatively recently as I've always had a good experience at this segment of the Holiday Inn chain. I stayed for a total of three nights and found the room to be more than adequate--the bed was good and as one reviewer noted you are given a readily-labeled set of pillows so you quickly know if you're grabbing the soft or firm option. In addition to a good bed the room has a refrigerator and microwave and a nice working space with outlets for laptops and cell phone rechargers and the like. The bathroom and sink area were adequate and the maids were not stingy with soap and shampoo. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly whether they were front desk, the lady who staffs the breakfast area, or the maids. The breakfast was about what you'd expect for the complimentary breakfast shtick--it'll feed you in the morning and save you some money if you don't want to hit one of the fast food places, IHOP, Denny's or Waffle House that are all within less than a mile. If I had one problem it was with the room's heating system. The temps were below average for two of the days I was in town. But, I didn't freeze--if anything it was tough to come up with some sort of a balance and the room would heat up pretty quickly and would necessitate my turning down or turning off the system. But, this wasn't a major problem. Overall, I'd recommend the Holiday Inn Express--from my experiences over the years--as the best chain hotel option in the Shelby area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WindyCityTarheel
We are glad that we could accommodate you and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was charged for two rooms for the same night and they refused to refund my money. What a profit this place is making at other people's expense. I contacted the General Manager and was told my money would not be refunded!

Do not stay here, this place is a rip off. I don't know how a place gets away with this. They stole my money off my debit card.

Room Tip: Do not stay at HI Express in Shelby, NC.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sherry H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelby
Hampton Inn & Suites Shelby
Days Inn Shelby
#5 of 8 in Shelby
Holiday Inn Express Kings Mountain
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Boiling Springs - Gardner Webb University
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Boiling...
#1 of 1 in Boiling Springs

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Shelby NC? Share your experiences!