“Ertghj”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

On a long-distance trip along I-95, we stopped in Selma North Carolina over night and went to Holt Lake for dinner. My wife and I both had to have the Carolina chopped barbecue and fried chicken. The boiled potatoes were good balance. I had the pickled beets while my wife had the cabbage. We both enjoyed the hush puppies which were not too heavy and not too greasy. They were just right. The barbecue was tasty without gristle or chips. A little spicy which could be perked up some with the hot sauce. The chicken was perfect with the skin little crispy and the meat moist and tender. Choice of sweet or unsweetened tea. They also have seafood platters but I always go for the barbecue. I ate too much.

2  Thank Ertghj

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were on a road trip from PA to SC and wanted to experience local cuisine on the way. We picked Holt Lake based solely on a billboard we saw around lunchtime. We loved seeing the pitchers of sweet tea already on the tables, and the food prices can't be beat. I chose the BBQ and fried chicken combo and enjoyed the hush puppies while awaiting my meal. The BBQ was really good - honestly, what I expected - but the fried chicken was incredible! I've never said that about fried chicken. I don't know what made it so good. I just regret not getting more. I highly recommend this place for good ol' Southern fare.

2  Thank The_Twit
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a slice of old fashioned Americana!! Large plain room with alot of people enjoying platters of chicken, seafood and BBQ. There are nightly specials--on the night we were there it was a spaghetti meal for less than 8 dollars. The seafood platters come small or large. We shared large platters of excellent broiled shrimp ($10) and boiled shrimp ($12.50) with fried okra and baked potatoes and they threw in a load of hush puppies. Friendly, attentive service. Do not miss this old fashioned place south of Smithfield on Route 301.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a good meat & 2 restaurant you need to go to Holt Lake. Great service and wonderful food. Have been a repeat customer whenever I am in town after being told about this place by locals. Grilled pork chops are a favorite!

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Six of us went here for Friday night supper. All ordered seafood. The special was fried baby flounder (ayce). I ordered fried shrimp and scallops, everyone else had the flounder. My spouse found the flounder greasy and undercooked, and was unable to eat it. The shrimp and scallops were unremarkable, but edible. I do not recommend it.