“Stay somewhere else”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Smithfield
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We booked on line for the room for $40 got there it was cheaper rate on the door but they charged me the higher rate. Filthy rooms the remote did not work shower was not or ever cleaned mold mildew. We were dead tired so we just sucked it up and passed out. In the morning we did not take a shower because the bathroom was so discusting. Then went down for our breakfast there was un sanitary food and discusting coffee.I will never stay there or at any of this hotel chain ever. U can get a better room for the same price or mabie ten dollars more please do yourself a favor and make your long trip comfortable do not stay here.Oh and the lobby smelled of beer and puke.

Room Tip: Don't keep going
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Ransom D
abvismithfield, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Ransom D,

I appreciated that fact that you took the time to share a review with us. We do offer toast, bagels, muffins, sausage biscuits, juice, coffee, and fruit on our Continental Breakfast. The foods are served fresh each day. I apologize for the housekeeping issues as well. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Only stayed over 1 night here on the way down South. Average hotel - Not much of a view from any of the rooms that I could tell. The Inn was sorta off the beaten path - not real easy to find. We could see it from 95, but getting to it was a different story. Make sure you get good directions! Beds were pretty comfortable - breakfast was so-so. Good for a one nighter heading either way on 95.

Room Tip: No good rooms that I could see - views of parking lot, highway and closed down pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear MakoMan13,

Thank you for posting a traveler review with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am sorry that you had a hard time finding our location. We hope that you stay with us again should you return to the area.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

not bad for $35.99 a night. ok hotel for 1-2 nights stay. there are other hotels in area too but i like this place since its right off highway. right in the middle from Newyork to florida route.furniture needs upgrade and wifi had little issue but with the price of 35.99 i can go with it

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

DK28311,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. We hope that you stay with us again should you return to the area.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

This is a hotel that we've stayed at before & it was just average like most hotels on I-95 for the price. This stay was very unpleasant. The rug was pretty new but the towels were bare threads and the bathroom in need of replacements. The hanger rack was rusty & the room smelled of a strong air freshener which remained on your clothes.
After retiring for the night, a phone call came into our room at midnight & woke us up. The caller identified himself as the assistant manager & claimed that our car was hit and if there was any damages, we should walk to the front desk and get a 25% discount on our next stay. He spoke about us contacting the police. At this point, I handed the phone over to my husband who began questioning this guy. My husband hung up and went to check the car and then to the front desk. The person on duty said there was no assistant manager for the hotel and the caller requested our room. When asked why he put the call through without asking who was calling, he said he thought we may have told someone where we would be staying. We believe that on the other side of this hotel, they have residents who were playing a joke. I had a hard time going back to sleep feeling very uneasy and annoyed. Never again will we stay there even if they gave us the room for $.99!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear beaches,

Thank you for bringing the issues you experienced to our attention. We are taking some additional measures with our front desk staff regarding call screening. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

This place should be torn down. We had reservations for 2 rooms. When we got to the hotel the desk clerk did not have any knowledge of them. I had printed the comformation and showed it to her. She called someone on the phone and was told to give us our rooms. My key card didn't work, so I had to walk back and have it scanned again. It was late so there was not a close inspection of the rooms. The internet needs a password, when you call the desk, she says you do not. there is a desk , but there is no outlet that you can plug you laptop into. The bath tub was filthy, it looked like somebody stood in the tub with shoes on. Bathroom door doesn't close. The bed frame was broke, we did make it thru the night without a cave in.In the morning I open the TV cabinet and it was white with mold. If we had noticed it the night before we would have left. Our friends in the next room also had mold. The ironing board was just tossed in the corner. The breakfast was an insult. I would be afraid to eat anything they had. When you check out you ring a bell and no one comes out. I think that they are scared to face anybody. I have stayed at Best Value Inns before and I will again. This place needs the healh inspector to check the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Adak C,

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to personally apologize for the issues you encountered with us. Please know that I am addressing these issues with our housekeeping staff. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience for our future guests.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

The hotel was at best average. Even though it has a number of great amenities all of them are minimum, such as, the wifi barely gets to the rooms, very low connectivity, the pool is non existanant i (it says seasonal) but its the end of summer. The place needs some good yard work and the pavement repairs. The wife and i researched this place before coming and saw the negative reviews and due to the initial visual thought we were going to experience the same. The clerk was lounging on the couch watching TV and playing on his laptop (probably the wifi killer) and only got up after i was standing at the counter. Professional, and quick but sloppy on doing his job. Got lost due to the uncommon way the rooms are numbered, and the maintenance man looked to appear to bee attempting to break into the room, and when he saw we knew what he was doing he have us and dirty look. The room was clean other than stains on the sheets, and the soap left in the showers used, which tells me that they don't clean the showers between customers.

The key stops working every day. And push real hard for the ice machine.

Extensions are smoothly added.

Female manager is average on service but you can tell she is intelligent and can fix any problems.

Respectfully added,

Jeff

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
abvismithfield, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Jeffrey F,

Thank you for posting a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you encountered during your stay. Our WIFI signal is stronger at the rooms nearest the office area. We would have gladly changed your room if we had known that you were experiencing issues with the signal. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Pradeep-GM

Reviewed 6 August 2011

My children and sister were traveling together on vacation. It was late and we were tired. We stopped at this hotel, thinking it looked a bit better kept than the one across the street. Once we got into our rooms, it was a different story.You can see my sister's review in this thread. My room didn't look bad at first glance, but upon further inspection we found only 2 bath towels in the room, one had a brown stain on it. No wash cloths, no hand towels. The carpets and shower curtain were filthy. The air conditioner was unplugged, and when I went to plug it in, I noticed that the plug had scorch marks on it. As my son started to climb into bed, he noticed sesame seeds on the sheets. The next morning, I noticed an earwig in the bathtub.
I decided to complain upon checkout, but there was no one behind the desk. Just a sign saying to ring the bell if assistance is need, to which no one responded to. I also then notice a hand-written sign stating that there would be no refunds on rooms beyond the first 15 minutes of check-in. My sister said she did not see that when she checked in. I suspect it is only posted in the morning, when people are checking out. Had we seen that, we would have gone on down the road!

Room Tip: My tip to get the best room is to choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
abvismithfield, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear JJGlasgow,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. There is never an excuse for providing anything less and an excellent stay. I apologize about the lack of hand towels and wash cloths provided in the room. We have trained our housekeepers on providing an adequate number of towels in the room. These corrective measures should help improve the overall experience of our guests. I hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located throughout the Country.

Henna-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Smithfield, NC

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Best Western Smithfield Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 6 in Selma
Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!