Pine Needles Resort and Country Club
US$157
Residence Inn
US$102
US$64
Best Western Pinehurst Inn(Southern Pines)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$61
Jefferson Inn(Southern Pines)
US$203
Travelocity
US$176
All reviewsdonald rossmid pinesdining roomgolf coursethe wait staffgreat golfpro shopgolf experiencegreat place to playfinishing holegolf staffpractice rangeplay golfsand trapslarge groupbit datedthe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband joined the out of town membership program here a few years ago for the golf. I think it was one of the best things he's done in years when it comes to spending 'more money' on the love of his life. (And I'm not talking about his wife.) Thank goodness the lodge and surrounding villas are cozy and comfortable. I could sit all day in my room and read. Food is as good as any 'fancy restaurant' you might visit in the resort area. Had the fabulous Sunday brunch across the road at MidPines with the best friend chicken ever eaten according to husband and friends. Also had delicious grilled romaine salad and a bowl of spicy corn and chicken chowder at the bar at Pine Needles. It was delicious! This resort is our vacation home we never bought!

Room Tip: The long rooms in birdie, par, and bogey are our favorites. Have a sitting area with a view, 2 TVs, and no one over top walking on your ceiling.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Just arrived home from a week of Golfari and we had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Ross Lodge which had four bedrooms with a large common area where we had much laughter. Our rooms overlooked the instruction area and the first fairway. They were very clean and comfortable.

Our instruction was excellent, the teachers are top notch.

The food was good, especially the fried chicken. I would not call it fine dining but you do not go hungry; it is more comfort food.

I plan to return with my husband and friends.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jlramsey
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I have been lucky enough to visit the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area of North Carolina twice in the past 30 days and have split my time between the Pinehurst Resort and Pine Needles/Mid Pines. The staff, the food, the value, and the golf
found at Pine Needles and Mid Pines far surpasses anything you will find five miles to the West. The newly renovated Mid Pines is both challenging and fun and the golf at Pine Needles is pure Donald Ross. If you are visiting the area do not let the marketing machine that is the Pinehurst Resort lure you in, resist the temptation and instead head over to Pine Needles and Mid Pines, you'll be happy you did! Pinehurst is great and you will pay for it, but Pine Needles and Mid Pines feels like home.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank 3boys2girlfam
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I just returned from my second annual trip to Pine Needles Resort in Southern Pines, NC. Although I went for the excellent golf school, directed and starring former LPGA player, Donna Andrews, I also thoroughly enjoyed the Resort. It's very true that it is rustic and a bit quirky, but the setting is beautiful and serene. This time we stayed in the Putter Lodge and had a room on the third floor. We thought the view and accomdations were worth it, but there aren't any elevators. Bellmen are available, but you have to ask. Our room had two queens with a fridge and table for 4 on the first level AND a loft with two twins (which are private from each other) and a second full bath. From our balcony, we could see at least two fairways and the practice facility. The pine trees are as plentiful as they are beautiful. Dogwoods and azaleas are also present. The food is not fine dining, but it's quite good. The service staff is universally friendly and willing. The golf course is terrific -- but look out for the greens which are very challenging. Be aware that the presence of a golf academy can lead to slower play in the afternoons. In my view, it's a great value -- not luxurious, but plenty comfortable and relatively affordable.

Room Tip: The Putter Lodge is right next to the Reception/Bar/Dining Room/ Pro Shop. We had #148.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2013

two stories for this golf resort.

The room and meal plan requires some flexibility from the guest. We have recently returned from a 5 nignt golf with meals plan. Its our 2nd stay at the resort. The rooms are rustic , clean, and comfortable. But you will encounter some quirks, There is a mini frig. but no ice machine near the lodge we stayed at. upon request we were given a dag of ice to put in the frig. after a day it was a solid block that had to be chipped . The coffee maker was located in a place that was hard to pour water into the brewer. The service staff is very friendly and they try to please,but something is wrong with the service. For example at the breakfast buffet which is very good the egg , and carving station guy would go missing. Many things go wrong but the charm of the staff makes up for the inconvience. Dinner was ok not great,in fact we went to another place on two nights for dinner even though our meals were included.

If you love old classic golf courses this is the place. We love both courses but this trip was not as much fun as the other times we played there. Play was slow 5 to 5:30 hour rounds. Guests of the resort seemed to have no better tee times than day players. I am also irked that a small group of friends paid $150 a day less than I paid for the same package. They played a week before me.

I would play the courses again but I will not book the resort package. You need to be flexible and laugh off the uneven service and quirks.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pratice range
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple