“Historic Inn (and Golf) you need to stay/play at”

Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Southern Pines
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We have enjoyed travels to Pinehurst, NC market. We have stayed at the Pinehurst properties and this time opted for Mid Pines. It was a comfortable stay. I respect the history of these locations. The dining rooms, the lounges, take you back in time. We like the pub. Walk the hallways and look at the pictures. We had a fabulous view of the 18th green from our room (231).
We played golf 2 days at Mid Pines. It is a new add to my top 3 in Pinehurst area. They just worked on the layout and seemed to have more sand. But Donald Ross did a beautfiul job so long ago. Next time i return, I will definitely walk the course. The course is so beautiful, on every hole you will appreciate the view. We played Pine Needles too. Most ladies worship this course, I need to come back and try it. We had played 36 that day and I wasn't on my game.
We had lunch at Pine Needles, the sandwiches are huge - share!

Room Tip: Ask to face the golf course
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

The golf course is wonderful but will be closed for the summer as they redo the greens. Without the golf course, I don't know that I would stay here. The staff is absolutely wonderful, but the Inn is old. Rooms are small. My tv didn't get the Golf Channel! What's up with that? The bed was comfortable and cozy which was a good thing because the heat is centrally controlled. That means you can't turn it up. The old place still has quiet charm, but I'd stay across the street at Pine Needles next time.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is a very charming place to stay with very friendly people working in it and they all made me feel welcome. The rooms were comfortable and er...well..charming! What I mean by that is, that the hotel was build in 1921, so there are many old features everywhere, which I like; it is definitely not a Hilton or Marriott. Now charming can have some drawbacks for some people, for example, not everything works well but they are mainly minor things such as the coffee making machine and alarm radio, at least in my room. On the other hand the place was interesting to look at, be in and you could open your bedroom window and have a gentle breeze pass through the room; how rare is that? The food was fine and there was plenty of space to relax and in our case work. It is surrounded by a golf course which is attractive to look at I but noticed there were small holes everywhere, about 18 of them and quite a few small sandy beaches but then what would I know, I don't play much.
So, I enjoyed it and felt at home, I hope you do.

Room Tip: Ask for one with two windows, much more light, as the windows are small.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Eisenstadt
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Love this hotel every time we stay here. Staff is friendly and accomodating. The hotel is beautifully renovated and the golf course is immaculate. Love staying here when we visit the Pinehurst area. The sister property across the street, Pine Needles, is great also!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank childog
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This a quaint inn with a terrific staff. We had a bit of a crisis and it was handled perfectly. My reserve about staying here again would be that because of the age of the inn, you cannot adjust the heat in your room. You must contact the front desk. The room was nicely fitted and very clean. We both slept well and enjoyed breakfast downstairs. I thought the breakfast was expensive but as they were not offering a buffet that morning, it was fine. The golf course is being worked on in the next few months but both of the golfers enjoyed playing here and will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a sunny room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mwjack
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We recently held a family reunion at Mid-Pines. It was a perfect fit for us. First of all, I thought the Inn was lovely. Very old school, traditional decor with beautiful golf course views. It exceeded my expectations after reading the other reviews here. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable, but this is an old 1920s era building so you'll find exposed pipes and such in the bathroom. Everything was clean, although our shower curtain liner was starting to mildew. We only ate sandwiches in the bar, so can't really comment on the food. The game room was a great place for kids (and grownups) to hangout with pool, foosball and ping pong. If you don't mind trading slick, modern amenities like lighted make-up mirrors and spa showers for charm and a bit of quirkiness, you should be happy here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lunarmodule
Reviewed 10 September 2012

While the "old" charm of the place was great, sometimes, "old" can go too far. I mean, the water damaged ceiling in my room, should be replaced- bottom line. The sheets and pillows, do not need to be original either- time for updating. The bed was comfortable so that was great. The service, while nice and cordial still missed the mark a bit. Sounds petty, but I really needed a nail file when I checked in and the attendant couldn't locate one. I silently was hoping one would appear when I returned from dinner, but no such luck. Perhaps, expectations too high. In any case. Nice enough set up. I can see a bunch of guys playing so much golf, they can't see straight when they return to the room. In that case, I'm sure it's just fine.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lap17416
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southern Pines
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
Jefferson Inn
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
#2 of 12 in Southern Pines
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Southern Pines Aberdeen

Been to Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club? Share your experiences!