“Hidden Gem”
Review of Jefferson Inn

Jefferson Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Southern Pines
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I decided to spend an evening in Southern Pines after a day spent in Pinehurst for a change of pace. We liked the close proximity of fine dining restaurants to this hotel, so decided to give it a try. It exceeded our expectations. The room was intimate, yet spacious and I could have slept in that bed for days. We loved the live music in the courtyard and felt like we were far from home and on an extravagant holiday. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed here recently with some colleagues, and we were impressed. The rooms are large, with comfortable beds, and large bathrooms and showers. The bar serves good beer at good prices. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The airline lost the luggage for me a my colleague, and the hotel receptionist was extremely helpful in pursuing the airline, and we eventually got our bags delivered. The food is good too. And Southern Pines is a very nice town. The only drawback is the trains, which can be very noisy in the early hours.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here before heading over to Pinehurst and was very happy. The room was large, with a nice sitting area closed off by French doors. The bathroom was also large and well equipped. The staff was helpful and friendly. I only regret that I could not stick around to enjoy the nightly bar scene I have read about.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Jefferson Inn in Southern Pines. The rooms were lovely, as was the overall hotel. The bar/restaurant had terrific live music and the menu was robust and tasty. What makes this such a special place is the staff. Carmen on the desk at night and Kelly during the day are very professional, courteous and genuine. They took a keen interest in what I needed and went above to make sure my stay was terrific. There are other alternatives in Southern Pines-the chains-but this will be my "go to" hotel. Lovely place, gracious accomodations and top shelf staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I'd recommend this place to most travelers, with some caveats. It's certainly a historic inn, but not quite as elegant as the brochure implies. However, that it was a tiny bit rough around the edges was to my and my husband's liking. The room had all the "comfort features" promoted, and some charming personal touches (like a hand-written (!) note from the proprietor, welcoming us). It had generous space in the sleeping area and bathroom, as some older establishments don't. What we especially liked: the friendly, folksy concierge, who took an interest in our dining plans; the courtyard with a bar, fountain, umbrella tables, and music at night; rocking chairs on the porch; the period architecture and updated decor remaining true to the spirit of the place; walking distance to shops and restaurants (and I could even walk to a meeting at the Weymouth Center for the Arts);and a free breakfast. What we didn't like: while we did enjoy the live music (acoustic) and the lively crowd of locals at night in the courtyard, I'm not sure how you'd feel about it if you were trying to work or sleep in a room overlooking the party. And speaking of parties: there was an even noisier party in The Tavern indoors, like a wedding reception kind of affair (I don't remember if the rowdy bunch was singing "YMCA," but you get the picture), and since (happily) this isn't one of those big anonymous chain buildings, sound carries. This didn't interfere with OUR stay, but I could see how someone expecting refinement and tranquility would be dismayed. So: book with confidence if you want to have a comfortable room and a good time, but ask a few questions before making your reservation if you're looking for quietude and Southern formality--rather than the Jefferson Inn's "Southern hospitality" that is its specialty.

Room Tip: Inquire about the quietest available room and about special events that may be scheduled there durin...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having just been stranded for a couple of days in snow that closed most of North Carolina, I am writing this short review to say how well looked after I was by Kelly and all the Jefferson Inn team. The Inn has always been so comfortable to stay in on previous trips, but the service and welcome this time was exemplary. While we were stuck inside the Inn due to all in town being closed and roads so hazardous, it was lovely to relax in what felt like a "home from home."

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have had the pleasure to stay at The Jefferson Inn several times and each time has been Incredible. The rooms are modern.spacious and the beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The Hotel has that "Going Back in Time" feel with the huge staircase, lobby plus Tavern is wonderful too. The staff was very friendly and greeted you by name each time you passed by the lobby. The location of the Jefferson Inn is perfect being in downtown Southern Pines with the little shops all being in walking distance.
I have recommended to all my friends that if you want that special getaway-----This Hotel will give you everything you need to make the stay a Treasure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marty S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southern Pines
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines
Hampton Inn & Suites Southern Pines-Pinehurst

Been to Jefferson Inn? Share your experiences!