“Counting down until next year”
Review of Riverside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Southport
Riverside Motel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Counting down until next year”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What a wonderful find! Looking forward to next year. What a great location and you can't beat the view. We stayed in #4 and it was perfect. Clean and enough bspace room for the 2 of us and our bikes to be comfortable. We enjoyed the back swing, watching the boats, walking in the grass. Just a great motel in a coastal town!

Room Tip: Any of the 8 are great rooms! I believe 1 and 8 do not have the waterfront rooms. But 2-7 do. Enjo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jen W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Swink, CO
Reviewed 9 June 2014

As others have noted, this is an older hotel, though well maintained overall. It is not a polished example of modern innkeeping. We stayed in #5, which was clean, and everything worked. The back patio gives a great view of the river, and as we sat on the bench swing, we watched a number of trawlers, private sportfishermen, and the Bald Head ferry go by. We saw an incredible number of pelicans; the most we have seen in one spot in eastern NC. And, as sunset approached, a seemingly endless series of strings of white ibis flew by. It was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and we slept very well. Our whole experience here was very good, and we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a restaurant close aboard the eastern end of the motel. If you want a good view of the rive...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've stayed here several times, and it has some great points (although if you're looking for a modern, sterile motel room, this is not your cup of tea). It's right beside the Cape Fear River, and most of the rooms have a back deck with chairs/swing, so you can sit out there and watch the boats go by, in some cases huge oceangoing freighters. Also there are lots of birds around - I watched a pair of white ibises on the lawn between the deck and the river. Also, great location as far as being in the quaintest part of town, and close to restaurants. The room was comfortable and had everything I needed, although there's not much space to spread out stuff.

The downside on this visit was the humidity (which I suppose is also a result of being right next to the river). The night I was there, it was storming pretty seriously, and everything felt damp and sticky, and the room smelled mildewy. I don't see much they can do about this, considering that most people want to leave doors and windows open and sit out by the river.

The motel is affiliated (co-owned, I guess) with the B&B across the street. Lady over there who checked me in was very very nice and eager to help with anything. I'm generally not a fan of B&Bs, but next visit I might try that, just because a big Victorian house might have less humidity than a low-profile motel right by the river.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank FoodieOnAHarley
State of WA
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This motel is a bit rustic looking and if you are looking for a Four Seasons experience, this is not it. But, it is clean, the lady checking us in was most pleasant and helpful with local information, and you are a couple of blocks from the visitor center, restaurants, lovely historic homes, quaint shops. The motel is right on the waterfront. You can sit on the porch in your swing and watch ocean-going vessels, ferries and all sorts of pleasure boats passing by. We were planning on staying one night, liked the area and motel so well we opted for one more night.. There are only 7 or 8 rooms, of which I believe 5 have the porch view, so reservations may be wise.

Room Tip: The two end rooms don't face the water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Winekatz
Sandy Ridge, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have stayed in this motel several times with no problems .
October 22, 2013 I checked in too room # 4 , mid afternoon, took river photos then had dinner and went back to my room ..
With out notice or warning as I walked into the bath room ,,, I found my self on the floor with my left arm and head in the tub and my left front side against the tub edge..
.Alter gathering myself I could see the bathroom floor was higher than the bed room floor and my shoe had caught on the taller tile edge,, tripping me .. Tired and upset I lay down and woke at 4 AM

I left early the next morning 6:00 AM with some pain but had to be in Wilmington early .

I hope this problem will be corrected, for I'am in much more pain,, feeling now, I may have a cracked rib .. I would not want anyone else to trip on the uneven floor....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank sray1947
CINCINNATI
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Sits right on the Cape Fear & there is a nice porch swing & 2 chairs to enjoy the river activity. The room was charming & clean. If we are able to return to Southport we will stay here. We didn't need much from the owners but the people we talked with were very pleasant & helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RICHARD H
North Caroina
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This motel is older and looks it on the outside but the rooms are clean and have had some updates. Need another mirror in the room. We stayed in #5. Additional fan helped keep room cool and it was quiet. Love the swing off the back porch and the view of the sound is awesome! Wonderful location within walking distance of waterfront restaurants and downtown shopping. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sweetcarolinenc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
#2 of 5 in Southport
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach

Been to Riverside Motel? Share your experiences!