“Boating at its Best”
Review of Solomon T Harbor Tours - CLOSED

Solomon T Harbor Tours
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We enjoyed an amazing personal tour of Southport in the mighty Cape Fear River aboard the beautifully restored 1938 wooden workboat, Solomon T, with Captain Bert and his lovely wife Becky. Enjoyed every minute of being on the water, hearing the history narrative and the seeing the sights where the movie Safe Haven was filmed. No trip to Southport is complete with a tour on the Solomon T!

2  Thank Carrie F

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We had a great tour of the Cape Fear River from Southport, NC with Captain Bert and his first mate and wife, Becky. It was an interesting and educational couple of hours as they took time explain many of the sights, the seaside culture, animals and environment. We even participated in a turtle inventory to help the endangered Kemp's Ridley sea turtle. Very enjoyable aboard their historic 1938 working boat!

4  Thank mawelch2
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I took our 4 year old son for a tour on the Solomon T and had an absolutely fantastic time. Captain Bert and Becky we personable and friendly and extremely knowledgeable of the local area. We cruised around Southport and Oak Island, saw beautiful wildlife on Battery Island and enjoyed the calm waters of the Intercoastal.

This was my son's first trip on a boat so small but he had an absolute blast. I'd highly recommend for families or those with younger children interested in nature.

1  Thank CarolinaCapsFan
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We hopped on board a boat with room for 6-8 people, I guess, for an hour-long trip out on the water near Southport/Oak Island, Coastal North Carolina; a trip to wrap up my weekend spent walking along the beach on Oak Island. We couldn't have had a nicer day out on the water. We were lucky to see the dolphins and they seemed to also be out for a weekend frolic. We cruised across the bay to look at the historic fort, and learned quite a bit about the history of this small seaside town and the role it played in protecting the country during the 20th century. I very much enjoyed the story of the town, some of the houses we went by, and an explanation of the different kinds of boats in the harbor as well as the local catch. Finally, it was fascinating to learn about the sea turtles as this is one of the places that the turtles lay eggs every year. The Captain is a volunteer with the effort and recent studies have taught them a lot about how these turtles make their way across the world to lay their eggs. Some of the islands out there are protected which allows for more wildlife. Bring: sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, camera, water, and an interest in the history and culture of the area.

5  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Perfect weather gave us a perfect ride. As we cruised along the intra-coastal waterway and Cape Fear River, eating our afternoon snacks and enjoying the sunset, we discussed the local history and wildlife with " Captain Bert". Slowing as we passed the Southport Marina, checking out the boats in the slips and those at anchor. When we entered a quiet cove, we spotted a young blue heron fishing along the shore. Overall a wonderful trip, worth the price, and a great way to relax at the end of a hectic day. I thought of it as a healing ride as it swept away all my tiredness and worries.

2  Thank kpkdrk