“Lots of MOLD! (see photo) IN THE BATHROOM, and broken treadmill in fitness room....”

Hampton Inn Southport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I'm a Diamond with Hilton so you can trust this review.

That said this Hampton Inn is nothing to get excited about as the property is getting up there in age, but the worst thing was the mold in the shower and the broken treadmill. I can not recall ever staying in a Hilton property with this much mold. What killed me was the fact that I could scrap the mold right off with my finger nail which meant that house keeping had not even tried to wipe it off! (see photos)

Second thing was when I asked the front desk if they had a treadmill she said yes it's on the second floor. Well it was on the second floor but it was out of order! I stay in Hampton Inns due to the fact that they have a fitness room and 99% of the time the treadmill works. If you recall my other reviews you would know i used to sell commercial treadmills so fixing them is about the same as fixing a dishwasher.

Also the internet was very slow vs other Hampton Inns I have stayed in.

If these guys could get the mold and broken fitness equipment taken care of this hotel would be fine to stay in but otherwise look at another location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TheRealBillBrasky
eerickson, General Manager at Hampton Inn Southport, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests.

Our sincerecest apologies that you did not have a better experience during your stay. We have recently welcomed some new team members to our group, and your photos show that we have opportunities to continue their training. Please know that our guests' comfort is our number one priority, and that the experience you had during your recent visit was the exception to the norm. I will share your photos and comments with our housekeeping team.

Our treadmill has recently been repaired, and I am happy to say that plans are in the works for all new equipment in our fitness area as we transition to Hampton's new Jump Start Fitness program.

Please feel free to contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for you continued loyalty to the Hilton family of hotels. I hope we will have an opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Warm regards,
Hampton Inn Southport (910) 454-0016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Everytime my husband moved any in the bed it shook me on the other side of the king mattress. Room was nice. Continental breakfast was fair. The waffel maker was not operating properly. Frozen chicken biscuits and omletes you microwave yourself. Fruit was in pre-packaged fruit cups. Very nice atmosphere in lobby and breakfast area, very sunny. Probably best option as in hotels for the area.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Rhjones69
eerickson, General Manager at Hampton Inn Southport, responded to this review, 4 November 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. I value all of the feedback we receive from our guests.

I'm excited to share that over the next few months, you should start to see some changes in our breakfast! I hope that you will have a chance to visit us again and enjoy our new offerings.

Safe travels!
Quinton, Virginia
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We were attending a wedding in the area and spending a couple of nights. Arrived to find the elevator was out of service. However, one of the staff hauled our bags up three flights of stairs (we did have to bring them down ourselves!). Staff was apologetic. Hotel is a little older, and is beginning to reach the "tired" stage. Everything was functional and they do have a nice little business center. And the staff was great, so we had no real problems other than having to do three flights of stairs in high heels and wedding gear!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and hope that you will find yourselves in Southport again soon!

Thank you for your patience with the elevator! That weekend surely kept us all on our toes!

Safe travels!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Here is a reasonable alternative to the B & Bs in downtown Southport. Hampton Inn is only minutes away from the Riverfront and the restaurants and shops. Very clean, nice breakfast, and fantastic pizza at the place right across the parking lot! Give this hotel a try- you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Hampton Inn Southport. We always appreciate getting feedback from our guests. It sounds as if you enjoyed your visit to the NC coast. I hope you will have another opportunity to visit us soon.

Safe travels,
charlotte, nc
Reviewed 5 September 2010

First let me state that the room was fine and I slept quite well. I guess that that is the most important thing to consider when staying at a hotel. But it was the small detail that really disappointed me with this hotel. I spent $109 w/a AAA rate and expected more. Why?

1. The very first thing that the front desk receptionist, Savannah, said when I went to the desk and said "I have a reservation" was: "Driver's license and photo I.D." No "Welcome to Southport"; No "Welcome to Hampton Inn"; No "Great! What is your last name?"

2. The workout room was, without a doubt, the smallest work out area I have ever seen in any hotel. There were all of three machines!

3. The breakfast was lacking. The only hot item was the make-your-own waffle. No grits, sausage, eggs, cinnamon rolls, etc. The bananas were either totally green or woefully brown.

4. For some reason, my room did not have a USA today by the front door...although they left me my bill!

5. In a room clearly designed and large enough for two computers, the business center only had one computer.

I expected much more from a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank calumet22
eerickson, General Manager at Hampton Inn Southport, responded to this review, 14 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences at our hotel. All of the comments we receive are helpful training tools. I'm sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay.
I understand that you were disappointed with our workout room and our business center. We are in the process of designing a thorough renovation of our first floor/lobby/breakfast area. This renovation will include expansion of our fitness center (which will be moved to the first floor), and elimination of our business center. The expansion of the fitness center is exciting, as it will allow us to add an additional treadmill or similar cardio machine, and a small set of free weights. The plan for this area also includes an area for stretching and/or yoga. As for the business center, we will continue to provide a desktop for our guests' use. The computer will be located in the main lobby area.
We serve an extensive breakfast menu, which includes quite a variety of "hot" items. Due to strict regulations from the NC Department of Health about our food preparation area, we are restricted to offering items that must be heated by the guests in a microwave. These items include ham and cheese omelets, sausage biscuits, breakfast quesadillas, and more. We are excited that our breakfast area, and our food prep area, will be included in our renovation design. This will allow us to offer "hot" items in a chafing dish (similar to what you are familiar with at other Hampton properties.)
I have taken the time to coach our guest service representative about your experience with check in. This person normally has a very bubbly personality, but I make no pretense of knowing what might have been her mood upon your check in. This is certainly not the way we want our guests to be greeted upon arrival! I will continue to work closely with ALL of our team, to ensure that every guest feels welcome as a part of our Hampton Inn Southport family.
I apologize that we let you down during your stay. I hope we will have a chance to have you as our guest again in the near future. I notice that you are not a member of the Hilton Hhonors program. As a member of our program, you might enjoy some special perks, such as pre-selected room preferences, a welcome snack, a complimentary USA Today newspaper at your door, and of course, the benefit of "double dipping;" earning points AND miles with your preferred airline or car rental agency. This might be something for you to consider in your future travels.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback is very important to us.
Sincerely, Eleanor Erickson General Manager Hampton Inn Southport eleanor.erickson@hilton.com 910 454 0016
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Clean and comfortable but nothing special. The only real negative is inadequate seating for the complementary breakfast. One of the days they did open up another room that was not in an obvious place without signs directing the overflow there but if they did the other day of my stay, it was long after I was done balancing a paper plate on my lap.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Passed through Southport on our way to Charleston to visit good friend, the maestro of the local symphony. This hotel was great - fresh, clean, updated. The Manager happened to be at the front desk to greet us, and she was warm and kind, and recommended a great, fun local BBQ restaurant. Just what we needed on a quick overnight stop. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank memphisgirl79
eerickson, Manager at Hampton Inn Southport, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
It is always wonderful to have a face-to-face connection with our guests who are "traveling thorugh" the area. We love it when our guests take the time to chat with us... there's no better way to showcase our hotel and the beautiful Southport/Oak Island area.

If you are coming for a weekend, or just "traveling through," our team will ensure that you have a unique Southeast Coastal experience. So glad you enjoyed the BBQ!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Hampton Inn Southport? Share your experiences!