“I would stay here again.”

Hampton Inn Southport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 12 August 2012

A nice hotel with a very clean and well-stocked breakfast Overall the facility is very modern with a small pool tucking away in the back. I would stay here again.

Some feedback - Most hotels now have desk-level outlets to charge all those electronic things we can’t travel without. This hotel lacks that convenience. It only has a few floor-level outlets in the rooms.

As I was gathering my things to leave I noticed mold growing on the bottom of the shear curtains. This is something I will lookout for when I check in next time.

The oddest experience was related to the young lady working the desk the morning I checked out. As I took a load of stuff to my car, I noticed someone threw up on the column right outside the front door. I mentioned this to the young lady at the front desk. Her reply was – “Yeah, I saw that too when I came to work.” (Then why did she not get a bucket of water and wash it away before taking over the front desk ??) I finished gathering my things from my room, grabbed a bite to eat and headed out to my car again. Sure enough, around 30 minutes later, the nice pile of “Welcome to Hampton Inn Southport” remained right outside the front door. As I came back and checked out, the young lady asked the standard “How was your stay?” I said “It was great with the exception of the big pile of puke still at your front door” to which she replied, “You have to understand it will take some time to clean up as I’m the only one here.” I guess she missed the guy in the dark red Hampton Inn collared shirt behind her or the lady refilling the breakfast area (both of whom most likely walked right past it as they also came to work). Not a lot of dedication displayed that morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Great Greeting from Angela at the front desk. We were told that our late booking might mean a smoking room, but they ended up giving us a great, sparkling clean non-smoker and it made my wife very happy (and me too as a result). A great workout room and pool added to the kids enjoyment. Great Location to zip into Southport and the ferries or to go to Oak Island.Sarah at the hot continental breakfast was superb and really gave us a great start for the day! We got to meet Scott, one of the owners, at a little happy hour they threw and could see the "trickle down" effect that hands-on management and staff could have on a place.Great Stay. Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We traveled to Southport for the 4th of July weekend. It was my first time to the area as we were traveling with another couple. This town is quite unique. The hotel was very accommodating. The continental breakfast was very good. They have little to-go brown bags if you are in a hurry which was a nice alternative.
The pool was small and we couldn't find any towels anywhere so we had to drip dry back to the room.
One afternoon our room keys wouldn't work and they were having troubles with their room key machine at the front desk. They issued us new keys and they worked initially but then the second try wouldn't work at all. It was a bit of an inconvenience as we had to go back to the front desk every time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My Husband and I coach several travel teams, so needless to say we spend multiple weekends out of town each year. We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Southport and were pleasantly surprised. Our room and the Hotel overall was very clean. Everything smelled fresh (no chemical smells) and the hotel has either recently gone through a renovation or the Maintenance staff does a great job keeping everything repaired. The bed and pillows were comfortable, the room was larger than average, they had a good breakfast and the staff was friendly. The ball team made great use of the pool and I did not hear a single complaint from anyone. The hotel is located about 3 miles from the Oak Island Beaches and 1-2 miles from down town Southport. Both of which are a easy and quick drive. There are several restaurants within walking distance and I would suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Our room of two queens seemed small, but adequate. The homey lobby and large pool deck made convenient places for our families to gather during the long weekend. The children enjoyed the pool while adults kicked back in loungers and listened to an iPod/radio dock. There are several dining options in the area. We had a blast at nearby bowling lanes. The continental breakfast was not as plentiful as other Hamptons I've visited. During our visit, the staff was exceptionally hospitable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2012

things i liked-
price- we booked this hotel way in advance for a wedding and got it for $101 base rate per night including breakfast. the rooms were clean but a bit strange- the maid had left a post-it note on the headboard saying the sheets and comforter had been cleaned. Is this not something that's usually done?? rooms also had a mini fridge which is nice.

dislike- smell in the hallway. we were on the third floor and smelled terrible like cigarette smoke. ac unit in the room. it's one of those old school units next to the window. literally was up all night hearing it click on and off. not in walkable distance to any nightlife- pretty disappointed in that.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This Hotel is trying to improve itself. The main problem they have is it's a smoking hotel and you can't always be sure to get a smoke free room. I was one of the unfortunate ones. I spent 3 miserable nights here in a room that smelled like barf. I tried to switch out the second night but they were "full" but you never know cause the lot was half empty. I would probably never stay here again as it will take me days to get the smoke smell out of my clothes. Even the ones in the closet smell awful. My suitcase even smells like stale cigarettes. They are trying to improve their breakfasts by putting real food. Currently; they have a pre-cooked meal you heat up in a microwave, but it still tastes like rubber. Overall it was about a 30% for price versus value. I would never stay there again as there is a smoke free Comfort Suites just down the road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank steve p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Hampton Inn Southport? Share your experiences!