“Rooms need major upgrade”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for the 4th time after a bad experience last time.
The beds were comfortable and the staff pleasant and helpful except for the woman in the breakfast area. She is rude and was this way last time. The air conditioner could not handle the hot weather in our room. A bolt fell off the toilet. The chairs had what looked like semen stains on them. I had to get extra towels to put on the chairs. One wash cloth had lipstick on it. Last time we stayed the couch was broken down and unusable. The furniture is skinned up. We love this location and just wish they would upgrade their nasty furniture. The last day the elevator broke and we were on the top floor. People had to lug their bags down the steps. The front desk is very accommodating and sent someone to help us get our belongings down the stairs. You have a great location, a great staff except for the woman at breakfast who likes to argue with customers. Even the beds are great so please upgrade the furniture. Not sure if I can stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your overnight accommodations while visiting the Southport area. We are glad that you enjoy our convenient and quiet location and comfortable beds. It is our goal to offer each of our guests a quality experience where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry to hear that all aspects of your stay were not top-notch. We take all guest feedback very seriously and appreciate the chance to improve when presented with the opportunity to do so. Your comments have been addressed internally as well as being escalated to the corporate team to help review our procedures and the overall training of our staff. We hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The employees are what makes this hotel special. The lady who checked us in (I'm kicking myself for not getting her name) was wonderful. She was so nice and friendly and when we asked her about a good place to have dinner, she gave us several options and directions. In addition, she told us what was really good to order at each one. The fact that she took this extra time to help us is part of what really made our trip special. Also later that night my husband asked her where he could find a bottle opener and she happened to have one of her own that she kept there because so many guests had requested one.
The room, and the hotel itself, could use some updating and a little soundproofing wouldn't hurt, either! However it was very spacious with a couch, fridge, and microwave. We are very appreciative of the military discount that's offered. The continental breakfast is what you would expect it to be. There was even fruit that was actually ripe! The coffee was good and, once again, the staff there was very friendly. In my opinion, the hotel itself is just average but the staff makes it a very enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay. It appears that you have traveled extensively and to receive a great review from a TripAdvisor "Top Contributor" such as yourself is an honor for us!
While we are a little disappointed to read that you found our hotel to be "average" (it is our goal to exceed all of our guests' expectations), we are thrilled with your comments on our staff. We think they are wonderful, too, and appreciate you taking the time to celebrate their efforts. Will be sure to share your accolades with them and the rest of the hotel!
We are glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and our complimentary breakfast buffet. And it is our pleasure to offer discounted rates to members of our military.
We look forward to providing you with the same pleasant accommodations the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were in Southport for some real estate business and were looking for a clean and comfortable economical place to stay. The Comfort Inn more than met our expectations. It rained (poured) both days we were there so we spent a lot more time in the room than we had thought we would. Room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was typical but good. We would highly recommend the Comfort Inn as a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear LyndaGM,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor. Here at the Comfort Suites Southport, we want all our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their expectations. It is a pleasure to read that this was the case during your stay with us. While we are sorry to hear that the rainy weather prevented you from the experiencing all that Southport has to offer, we are pleased to hear that your time spent in our company more than met your expectations.
Again, thank you for being our guest and for your recommendation to other travelers. We look forward to providing you with the same exceptional accommodations on your next visit to Southport.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Suites in March, 2014.

PROs:
1. The hotel was available and willing to provide rooms at the government rate.
2. The staff was nice and willing to help.
3. The rooms were spacious and had a couch that could be pulled out.
4. The pool seemed nice, though it was not the right weather to use it.

CONs:
1. Discussions at the front desk can be heard in the rooms close the entrance.
2. The night staff did not seem to be fully trained. Only one of the night time employees could create a room key that lasted longer than one day without expiring and that person wasn't always there. I locked myself out one night and had to get a new key. For some reason, this disabled my other keys. I replaced all my keys the following night. The next night I had to replace them again because they all stopped working. This was a pain when I was carrying a lot of stuff to my room and then had to go back to the front counter.
3. The shower curtain in my room was shorter than the side of the tub, making it impossible to keep water from going all over the floor.
4. The turn into the hotel during rush hour is a highly dangerous left turn when coming from the direction of Downtown Southport.
5. The construction of the hotel seems either falling part or never fully put together. In my room I felt like if I pushed on the wall near the window too hard, I was going to poke a hole through it. My buddy stayed in a room with boards under the carpet that seem to move independently from each other instead of being a solid floor.. This was on the 3rd floor.
6. The elevator was way too slow. There is only one and if I wasn’t carrying so much stuff, I would never take it.
7. The breakfast was barely editable. The milk was outdated, the fruits were bruised and wilted, the eggs were questionable and the sausage/bacon are not recommended for consumption.

All these observations aside, the hotel experience was okay. I only noticed these things because these are what my team members pointed out. Some of these things may bother others much more than me. I am not big on breakfast and I sleep through noise. The slow elevator was what bothered me the most. I ended up leaving this hotel; not because it was an unpleasant stay, but because I have another hotel of preference in Southport. I wouldn’t have noticed any of the CONs if I wasn’t so used to the superior accommodations of the Wingate by Wyndham Southport.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room near the entrance if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Anthony,
Thank you for trusting us with your hotel needs during your recent trip to Southport. We truly appreciate when our guests take the time to provide us with detailed feedback on their stay. Our staff and management are committed to offering each of our guests the best possible hotel experience and feedback such as yours gives us a chance to see how we are doing from the perspective of our guests.
It is our pleasure to offer a discounted rate to members of our government and military. We choose to follow the state and federal per diem guidelines for setting our government and military rates even during high demand periods when other local hotels may choose not to honor the discount.
I am sorry to hear that your colleagues were disappointed with our complimentary breakfast buffet. Our hotel strives to adhere not only to internal hotel breakfast standards but also to those set forth by the franchise in providing a plentiful and fresh buffet. As noted in other reviews, our guests are typically pleased with the wide variety of hot and cold items on our breakfast menu and we are sorry this was not the case during your stay.
I am also very excited to share with you that, regarding the traffic situation you mentioned, the NC Department of Transportation has funded a road improvement project that promises to greatly relieve the congestion caused by seasonal traffic.
Again, thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. I have shared your feedback with our management, maintenance and breakfast teams to ensure that each of your concerns are properly addressed. We do hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations on your next trip to Southport.
Sarah H.
Guest Relations
Comfort Suites Southport

Reviewed 31 March 2014

In town to visit family. Picked this location due to proximity to town and price. Was pleasantly surprised to find this property way above expectations. Staff was friendly, public areas clean and orderly. Room was well above expectations for 'chain'. Room truly clean. Everything needed was there and all worked perfectly. This is now a 'go to' location. Anyone looking for a hotel in a very popular area, Southport / Oak Island area of North Carolina, won't be disappointed in choosing Comfort Suites Southport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for such an exceptional review; it is a great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Comfort Suites Southport! We want all our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their expectations and it is great to read that this was your experience. We truly appreciate being your new 'go to' location in Southport and your recommendation to other travelers!
We look forward to providing you with the same quality accommodations the next time your travels bring you to our area.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed in Southport for 2 nights at the Comfort Suites which is convenient to area attractions and to major roads. The room was comfortable and included a seating alcove with coffee table and sofa. Complimentary breakfast offered a variety of items, both hot and cold. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Comfort Suites Southport. We appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with our staff. As you noted, our location is convenient to many of the area's local attractions as well as to major arteries. We hope that you will return for another visit.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The staff at this location was one of the friendliest and most courteous group I have experienced! The room was exceptionally nice and the layout was very functional. We made the reservations at the last moment as a sidetrip before returning home, Southport is wonderfully picturesque and like a step back in time. Of course I realize our stay during the week was a lot less hectic than weekends and summer, but I would reccommend this location highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jayspin2
Sarah H, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

"A Cut Above" is a truly awesome way to begin a review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us and with the TripAdvisor community. We love to hear when we have met and even exceeded the expectations of our guests. As you noted, Southport is "wonderfully picturesque" with so much to offer guests desiring a less commercial environment. We appreciate your recommendation to other guests and look forward to your return visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!