“Great Price, Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Southport
Athens, Ohio
“Great Price, Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I paid $110 (plus $20 for my dog, so $130 altogether) for a night at this hotel, which was very reasonable given the competition average around $200. This hotel is also pet friendly, and I had not problem bringing my dog along with me.

The hotel is in great condition. The lobby was clean and well appointed, as was my room. They offer free Wi-Fi and a free continental breakfast. The room was very large. I had a double queen room, which also had a sofa/sitting area. It was great. Plenty of room to spread out.

I did not use the Wi-Fi, but I did eat at the breakfast. They offer eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffle makers, juices, cereals, milk, coffees, bagels, danishes, and some fruit and yogurt. It was a nice spread and was also very clean and stocked.

The hotel is in a pretty good location. It took only about 7 minutes to drive to the beach.

The staff was friendly and helpful, even when I checked in at 1AM. I would definitely stay here again either on business or with family or friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beta7
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers. A great review from a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor like yourself means the world to us! We truly appreciate your comments on our spacious, clean rooms, convenient location (just minutes to the beach!) and friendly, helpful staff.
It is a pleasure to be a pet-friendly hotel and we are glad you enjoyed having your dog with you during your stay. We know how important it is to find quality lodging while traveling with pets. After all, pets are part of the family!
We are glad you were able to join us for our complimentary breakfast buffet. It is a guest favorite, offering everything from make-your-own waffles to fresh fruit, eggs, sausage, yogurt, cereal and more.
We are grateful for your recommendation to other travelers and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Just left this wonderful "pet friendly" hotel...all new carpet throughout the entire hotel, clean and well stocked breakfast buffet, friendly and helpful staff. I am a bit of a clean freak and everything here was well maintained. Our puppy even received his own "welcome" bag of goodies along with some basic rules to follow for good measure...Listen, this hotel has changed! I'd definitely return. And we prob will, because we're looking for a new home in that area. Thank you for a great visit!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Sunshine3333333
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you so much for this lovely 5-star review of your recent stay at the Comfort Suites in Southport. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the well-stocked breakfast to the helpful staff to the cleanliness of the hotel and guest rooms. We have high standards for cleanliness and to receive compliments from a self-described "clean freak" is especially heartwarming.

We are glad to hear that your puppy also enjoyed his stay. It is a pleasure to be a pet-friendly hotel; we know how important it is to find quality lodging when traveling with pets. After all, pets are part of the family!

It is nice to hear that we have won your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you are in the area.
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We moved to South Carolina 3 years ago and have always wanted to visit South Port, North Carolina. Last week, we finally made the 2 hour trip. I was happy to find a pet friendly hotel close to the downtown area. We were ahead of schedule, so I called the hotel and talked with Jackie. I asked if we could possibly get an early check in, which I know is not a guarantee. Jackie asked me to call back after 12pm and she would have a better idea on the status of a room. We decided to just drive to the hotel and if a room was not available, we would drive to the downtown area and take a walk. Upon arrival, Jackie had a room available for us to check in to. Her computer was giving her grief, which we can all appreciate. While her computer was restarting, she told me all about the area; the shops, dining options, etc.. She let me know about the breakfast and had me sign all of my paperwork. The best part was when she gave me a gift bag for my dog.. Us dog people love it when hotels welcome our pets and this hotel was very pet friendly. The dog rooms are on the first floor, which makes sense and they have a reserved area outside for your pet. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We tend to eat breakfast at a restaurant, but we are huge coffee drinkers. The coffee was actually pretty good for a hotel blend. Our 13 year old had to sample the breakfast early on Sunday morning, so we took him down to the breakfast area so that we could get more coffee. The breakfast attendant was talking with guests and assisting them with clearing their tables and was telling everyone to have a good day as they left the area. The housekeepers that we would see in the hallways all greeted us and as we were leaving, they thanked us for staying with them.. This one night getaway to small town was just what we needed and we were lucky to find a room at this hotel. I've told my co-workers about Southport and the Comfort Suites. Thank you all for the much needed R & R....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JLR156
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
On behalf of the entire Comfort Suites Southport team, thank you for trusting us for your overnight accommodations during your recent trip to our area. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we are thrilled to hear that you were pleased with your stay. We enjoy being a pet-friendly hotel. We know how difficult it can be to find quality lodging when traveling with pets and it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from pet parents.
Thank you for being our guest and for your comments on our friendly, knowledgeable staff, complimentary breakfast buffet and clean comfortable rooms. We hope we have won your loyalty!
Carolina Girl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ugggh and Ewww!!! After a full day of work and coming in, all I wanted to do was pump the AC and relax. When looking in the unit, I noticed a bunch of black stuff-maybe mold??? Went to front desk, spoke with attendant who was very nice and she gave me another room. I go to check room before I move and covers are thrown all over the floor. (housekeeping where are you?) Go back to the front desk, attendant apologizes again and gives me another room. After checking this room, all looked fine until I got ready to take shower. B/c handicapped room, it was handheld. OMG!!! The gunk around the shower head was ridiculous (look at picture). Back to front desk, now after 11pm, and I tell attendant, You come with me to the next room so we can look together. Next room, she enters first and exclaims, It smells like a man in here. What??? It did smell like a man with overpowering cologne had just exited the room. Onward to the next room and finally, vents are clear, bed is made and shower head was fairly clean, but wasn't draining properly. Maintenance came and fixed it. So after all this, I didn't get to sleep until well after 12 AM and had to get up next morning for work. I should've known when I walked in the lobby and floor was dirty and elevator hadn't been vacuumed. On one side of hotel was a rundown lot and on the other was parking so no view. I did let manager know the next day about the incident and all she did was apologized.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nai_Nai_Girl
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
While it is very challenging to hear that a guest's stay fell below our typical high standards for the hotel, feedback from our guests is invaluable in helping us to ensure that future guests do not encounter the same concerns.
Our hotel has recently come under new management. The new leadership team has identified some areas of opportunity that have been addressed through extensive training and retraining. We take pride in our hotel and the services that we offer. If you have any additional feedback or concerns, please feel free to contact the general manager of the hotel directly and she will be glad to discuss them with you.
We hope you will stay with us again soon so that we may have the opportunity to erase this negative experience and replace it with a positive one.
Clemson, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for the 4th time after a bad experience last time.
The beds were comfortable and the staff pleasant and helpful except for the woman in the breakfast area. She is rude and was this way last time. The air conditioner could not handle the hot weather in our room. A bolt fell off the toilet. The chairs had what looked like semen stains on them. I had to get extra towels to put on the chairs. One wash cloth had lipstick on it. Last time we stayed the couch was broken down and unusable. The furniture is skinned up. We love this location and just wish they would upgrade their nasty furniture. The last day the elevator broke and we were on the top floor. People had to lug their bags down the steps. The front desk is very accommodating and sent someone to help us get our belongings down the stairs. You have a great location, a great staff except for the woman at breakfast who likes to argue with customers. Even the beds are great so please upgrade the furniture. Not sure if I can stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your overnight accommodations while visiting the Southport area. We are glad that you enjoy our convenient and quiet location and comfortable beds. It is our goal to offer each of our guests a quality experience where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry to hear that all aspects of your stay were not top-notch. We take all guest feedback very seriously and appreciate the chance to improve when presented with the opportunity to do so. Your comments have been addressed internally as well as being escalated to the corporate team to help review our procedures and the overall training of our staff. We hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The employees are what makes this hotel special. The lady who checked us in (I'm kicking myself for not getting her name) was wonderful. She was so nice and friendly and when we asked her about a good place to have dinner, she gave us several options and directions. In addition, she told us what was really good to order at each one. The fact that she took this extra time to help us is part of what really made our trip special. Also later that night my husband asked her where he could find a bottle opener and she happened to have one of her own that she kept there because so many guests had requested one.
The room, and the hotel itself, could use some updating and a little soundproofing wouldn't hurt, either! However it was very spacious with a couch, fridge, and microwave. We are very appreciative of the military discount that's offered. The continental breakfast is what you would expect it to be. There was even fruit that was actually ripe! The coffee was good and, once again, the staff there was very friendly. In my opinion, the hotel itself is just average but the staff makes it a very enjoyable experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay. It appears that you have traveled extensively and to receive a great review from a TripAdvisor "Top Contributor" such as yourself is an honor for us!
While we are a little disappointed to read that you found our hotel to be "average" (it is our goal to exceed all of our guests' expectations), we are thrilled with your comments on our staff. We think they are wonderful, too, and appreciate you taking the time to celebrate their efforts. Will be sure to share your accolades with them and the rest of the hotel!
We are glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and our complimentary breakfast buffet. And it is our pleasure to offer discounted rates to members of our military.
We look forward to providing you with the same pleasant accommodations the next time you are in our area.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were in Southport for some real estate business and were looking for a clean and comfortable economical place to stay. The Comfort Inn more than met our expectations. It rained (poured) both days we were there so we spent a lot more time in the room than we had thought we would. Room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was typical but good. We would highly recommend the Comfort Inn as a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear LyndaGM,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor. Here at the Comfort Suites Southport, we want all our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their expectations. It is a pleasure to read that this was the case during your stay with us. While we are sorry to hear that the rainy weather prevented you from the experiencing all that Southport has to offer, we are pleased to hear that your time spent in our company more than met your expectations.
Again, thank you for being our guest and for your recommendation to other travelers. We look forward to providing you with the same exceptional accommodations on your next visit to Southport.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Hampton Inn Southport
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!