“Great view-too expensive”

Ranked #10 of 88 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located on the historic Old Yacht Basin, the Frying Pan features fresh, local favorites from grilled and pan-seared seafood to perfectly fried specialties. Combined with savory homemade sweet potato biscuits and desserts by our own Ms. Dot, the Frying Pan offers unique combinations to suit any palateand fill the soul. Come by and get a taste of the low country served with a side of southern hospitality.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The view of the Soputhport marina is spectacular and the service was greart, but the very average seafood and very expensive prices led to a disappointing experience. The meal for 2 for was over $65.00 and this was without any dessert or drinks. The food servings were very small and the cocktail sauce was frozen. The server was very good and we enjoyed watching the boats. Will not go back as there are several other seafood restaurants very close by with much better food and prices.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had dinner here and the food was very good. Our waitress was very friendly and service was good also. We would certainly return and recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Great food and excellent location. It is must do on your trip to Southport, you will love it. The view while you eat is excellent.

1  Thank Scott B
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We went to the Frying Pan for some classic fried shrimp.......which were great, but we were surprised by so much more. The Grilled Grouper was amazing along with the hushpuppies. Then we discovered the Sweet Potato Biscuits. WOW!! All of this while enjoying the wonderful view on the water. Our only disappointment was that we didn't get an order to take home. Oh well, it just means we have to go back now.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Having read several glowing reviews of The Frying Pan, we went in expecting the food to be really great. What we didn't expect was the superior service! Our waitperson was Sarah, and from the time her lovely, smiling face appeared at our table, we knew our meal would be special. We've had many discussions about the demise of good customer service, and, more often than not, we enjoy the food, but are disappointed and frustrated with the seeming epidemic of poor service. Absolutely, positively not the case at The Frying Pan! How refreshing to have an energetic (but not irritatingly hyper), knowledgeable (but not robotic), friendly (but not sit down beside you familiar) server who answered every question without pause, knew the menu inside and out, and made recommendations that were spot on! Sarah listened, she advised, and she provided excellent, friendly, and efficient service - always there when we needed her, but never hovering. And the food...oh, yes, the food! When I said I wanted something light and the watermelon salad looked inviting, Sarah said she knew I would enjoy it, but quickly offered to check the quality of the melon before I ordered, stating that since it was out of season, she wanted to make sure I would be pleased. How unusual is that? (I tell ya, she is one in a million!!) As it turned out, she pronounced it "looks really good", so my order was placed for probably one of the most delicious, perfectly balanced salads I have ever eaten. The watermelon was sweet and crisp, the hint of arugula just peppery enough, and the goat cheese and balsamic reduction tied it all together beautifully. I decided to go with another appetizer and chose, on Sarah's recommendation, the crab cakes. I couldn't have had a more delightful and "just enough" meal. My husband, raised in the low country of South Carolina, went with Shrimp and Grits. Now, I make a mean shrimp and grits, but this is the first time he has ever, EVER said mine had been surpassed. What??? Well, I suppose with those beautiful, plump lightly fried shrimp rimming the bowl of creamy grits with that delicious, perfectly seasoned sauce, I had finally been outdone. And I will accept that, because it really was an extraordinary dish. Our dining companions enjoyed the fried fish and shrimp platter and also the shrimp and grits. The deliciously hot hushpuppies with honey butter that began the meal and the yummy sweet potato biscuits served with our entrees completed a perfectly prepared dinner. Suffice it to say, all four of us left happy, satisfied, and with not even a whisper of a complaint! When in Southport, do yourself a favor and dine at The Frying Pan. Oh, and one more thing...ask for Sarah!!

1  Thank Rahmari