“A charming place for a great meal. ”
Review of Live Oak Cafe

Live Oak Cafe
Ranked #14 of 88 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For current menu and wine list information, please visit our website
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit but won't be our last. We got there around 8 and we had the front dinning room to ourselves. They had a good selection of wines and the menu offers a wide range of options. Our table had the Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Pasta and I had the ribeye. My steak was cooked perfect and they don't skimp on portion size. The decor is rustic and adds to the experience. We can't wait to come back and try something different.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just there last week again and we are never disappointed. The scallops au gratin are the best ever, large with crab and the best flavor. We love the jasmine rice and fresh steamed veg. Quaint setting and small rooms. Make a reservation. the service is excellent as is the food.

1  Thank pattean
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I fell in love with The Live Oak Cafe on our first trip to Southport 10 years ago and go there as often as we can. Sean and his staff always make us feel so welcome and special. The food is exceptional and the menu quite different from others in the area. It has a unique atmosphere, you are never rushed - very much like being in someone's home. Don't miss this restaurant when you are in the area.

2  Thank mimi2451
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I'm not sure how this wonderful, charming, and cozy spot fell to #12 on Southports's list. It was out-pointed by a bakery, for Pete's sake. And it received numerous 5 star reviews to boot. Nevertheless, I must say that our visit was a delightful experience. We were seated immediately, and just as quickly our server, Katy, was at the table to describe the specials and take our drink orders. Three of us shared a crab dip appetizer, and soon our entrees arrived. My wife chose the Buffalo meatloaf, and was very pleased with her choice. Our friend had the Mediterranean Bake, and was equally happy. I almost always look for scallops on any menu, and found this particular preparation to be one of the best I've had,comparable to an exquisite dish at the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport,Maine, a Michelin-starred venue. Katy was helpful and informative without fussing over us. In summary, the Live Oak Cafe deserves all the raves it got, and a much higher place on the list of "Best in Southport".

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had dinner at Live Oak Café for a special occasion, and enjoyed the ambience and attentive service. The food, however, is skewed toward heavy sauces and excess ingredients. My trout was tasty, once the heavy pecan coating and cream sauce was pushed to the side and I could actually find it! The Cajun seafood dish was heavily salted and tasted like supermarket Cajun seasoning. Wish their menu had more fresh, light selections and let the main ingredient shine. For the price point the experience didn't meet expectations.

1  Thank Justine S