“Very nice, but expensive”
Review of Live Oak Cafe

Live Oak Cafe
Ranked #17 of 83 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For current menu and wine list information, please visit our website
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is the second year that we've gone to this restaurant. The first time we only went for dessert, but this time we went for dinner.It is a very quaint little house that only has 9 tables inside.We had made reservations but it turned out we didn't need them because we were the only ones there. After we were seated, there were several walk ins. My wife ordered the Mediterranean sea food bake. It was absolutely huge! They brought a basket of the most wonderful little breads that they received a locally. We kept asking them to bring us more, and they did. I think one of the biggest drawbacks to this restaurant is that they don't have a kids menu. Its design strictly for couples in adults.I will say that they did make a dish for my daughter that was not on the menu. Not having a child's menu is not their fault. They're just not set up for that.

2  Thank BRW1124

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've eaten there before and always enjoyed the food, and this visit was also very good. It's in a small house a mile or two from the river, lovely space, lots of small rooms turned into dining rooms. Maybe it was just an anomaly the night I was there, but I think there were maybe two other parties in the whole place. And we were all in different rooms, so I was alone in a charming but deserted room. (It was stormy that night, which may be the reason). It also seemed like there was only one waitress for all of us, so I guess I should be glad it wasn't crowded. She was pleasant but did a lot of running around and disappearing, for obvious reasons.

I had the Caesar salad, which was pretty good but a bit weird, containing lots of chopped walnuts. Then I had the pecan-crusted trout, which was very good, although I didn't detect the advertised Bourbon in the sauce. It was a big serving, and was served on top of butternut squash ravioli, which made the dish HUGE. Good wine list.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautifully prepared dinner, gracious service, quiet, wonderful evening in old frame house. Expensive for a night out but worth it.

2  Thank joalleB
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit but won't be our last. We got there around 8 and we had the front dinning room to ourselves. They had a good selection of wines and the menu offers a wide range of options. Our table had the Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Pasta and I had the ribeye. My steak was cooked perfect and they don't skimp on portion size. The decor is rustic and adds to the experience. We can't wait to come back and try something different.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just there last week again and we are never disappointed. The scallops au gratin are the best ever, large with crab and the best flavor. We love the jasmine rice and fresh steamed veg. Quaint setting and small rooms. Make a reservation. the service is excellent as is the food.

1  Thank pattean