Open today: 07:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Greens coming back, but not there yet!

Reviewed 29 July 2018
161DavidM161
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
via mobile
Nice Course But,

Reviewed 2 May 2018
Ernie S
Lebanon, Pa

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

This is a fun layout—nice combination of holes. The course lost its greens after a terrible winter. The greens were replanted, but need another month or so of growth. The staff was fantastic, especially the woman in the beverage cart!

1  Thank 161DavidM161
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Winter kill on the greens have left the course unplayable. Nice facility and really nice staff but this comes short of making ng up for the course conditions.

1  Thank Don H
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Panther's Run. As I'm sure you are aware by now, our area was devastated by the extreme winter conditions of the past several months (the coldest in the last 38 years, including an ice storm that left our greens frozen solid for several days) and golf courses with bermuda greens were especially hard hit. The problem has been so widespread in our region that the Myrtle Beach Area Golf Course Owners Association recently held an emergency seminar, inviting superintendents and course operators to come together and share their experiences and ideas. Top agronomists from NC State and Clemson were present to make recommendations as well. The consensus was there there is little that can be done to prevent some degree of damage to bermuda grass under such extreme conditions. We did come away with some ideas that we will incorporate into our practices, but hopefully it will be another 4 decades before we see weather conditions like this again! In the mean time, we have completely sodded 3 of the most damaged greens and have applied a significant amount of specialized greens grade granulars and liquid fertilizer to all the greens to get them to break dormancy and begin to green up. Most importantly, in the past two weeks, the weather has finally improved and soil temperatures have been consistently warm enough to spur some growth in the bermuda! I very much appreciate your comment about our staff, as they have been working diligently to try to accommodate our guests in the best possible manner during this difficult period. Hopefully you were offered the option of a free replay or the opportunity to move your round to our top tier course, Leopard's Chase (we have bentgrass greens there) at no additional charge. If you don't mind, would you contact me directly at blong@oceanridge.com to discuss this matter further and I will see what I can do to help. No one was more upset and disappointed by the condition of our bermuda courses than the staff, management and ownership of Ocean Ridge Plantation and we are resolved to take whatever measures possible to satisfy our guests until this difficult period has passed. We are optimistic that all four Big Cats Courses will once again be in excellent condition in the coming weeks. Thank you again for your patience and understanding. Bill Long

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

They have lost their greens to winter kill. The layout is nice, but it was impossible to putt well. The cart paths need attention as well. I think some of my fillings were jarred loose. Call ahead before booking to inquire about the greens.

1  Thank PawPaw64
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. You are correct, like most of the bermuda greens courses in our area, Panther's Run took a beating from the coldest winter this region has experienced in 38 years. The problem has been so widespread that the Myrtle Beach Area Golf Course Owners Association held a special meeting recently, bringing together local golf course superintendents and managers, along with top agronomists from NC State and Clemson to discuss their experiences and to try to come up with a list of best practices going forward to help reduce the affects of such a historically severe winter. We participated in this seminar and some good ideas and information were shared. The consensus however was that, in such extreme circumstances, there is little any bermuda greens golf course can do to completely prevent a certain amount of damage. Our hope is that it will be another 38 years (if ever) before we have to deal with anything like this again!! I hope your group was offered options, such as moving to Leopard's Chase (bengtgrass greens) or getting a free replay, etc. We have been proactively trying to address any and all concerns with all our guest this spring. We have taken whatever measures necessary to attempt to satisfy our guests and make provisions for the sub-par condition of the greens. As for the cart paths, they were all scheduled to be resurfaced this year and that is still the plan, despite the huge loss of revenue and tremendous addition expense related to the unexpected winter conditions. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to earn your business and trust.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Facility and staff were top notch and we were warned beforehand that the greens were not up to par... They were AWFUL...'Winter Kill' they called it...We would definitely play here again with the hope that the greens recovered...We did enjoy ourselves despite the putting...The sign on the first tee about alligators is TRUE...We encountered several.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

I played this course recently with a group of members from a local North Myrtle Beach club. The condition of the practice range is an embarrassment and the range ball are so dead they hardly fly. Tee boxes are poor and fairways need serious attention. Greens are uneven with multiple kinds of grasses growing in them. And lastly, the cart paths are a serious hazard and in need of complete renovation. This course has not kept up a reasonable level of course maintenance and at best should only be considered if no other choices are available. The pricing structure does not warrant anyone considering this course. There simply is no excuse for playing this course until the place is closed for full renovation.

2  Thank 721jim
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and we sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. We also want to let you know we have taken measures to address many of the issues you mention. Our cart paths are undergoing an extensive renovation on Panther's Run and Lion's Paw and we have also taken measures to improve any weak areas throughout the courses. We hope you will return soon and see the ongoing improvements for yourself.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Reserved a tee time for me and my brother-in-law. We needed to rent clubs so I inquired about needing to rent them when I made the reservation the day before. They had two options, a newer set for $40/player, and older sets for $27/player. I specified that I would take two older sets, RH Mens. Our tee time was 8:20 am. Upon checking in the next morning, was told that they did not have any $27 sets available because they had already rented out their only set! Why was I not told that on the phone when I made the reservation that they only had one $27 set! Therefore, we were forced to rent the $40 sets. As well, the guy at the pro shop was extremely rude during this whole process. Plus, the $40 "good" sets where crap Callaway Strata sets. Regarding the course, the tee box and fairways were in bad shape, weeds and hard dirt. The greens were in ok shape, and the layout was fair. I will not be playing this course again, don't waste your time and money.

2  Thank dmalobicky
Bill L, General Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

We would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to make us aware of your unsatisfactory experience at Panther's Run. It is only through such constructive feedback that we can address issues as they arise, as we strive to continue to improve our operation. We also thank you for choosing to play one of The Big Cats courses recently. Regarding your comment about course conditions, the summer months are "off season" for golf courses in our region (Spring and fall are peak times) for several reasons. Paramount are weather conditions, namely the often extreme heat and lack of rain we can experience in summer months. Such conditions are not at all conducive to keeping golf course conditions at their very best. In fact, we are currently faced with a drastic shortage of water, which makes it extremely difficult to maintain desired irrigation practices. Therefore, we have to ration our water, with greens being at the top of the priority list. Because of this, fairway and tee box conditions can sometimes be less than we desire in such extreme circumstances. This is the main reason our rates are up to 70% lower in the summer than in peak seasons. Even so, I want to sincerely apologize that your group experienced these less than ideal course conditions during your recent visit.
With that being said, I also want to apologize for the confusion regarding rental club options. We have a limited number of sets available to rent each day and do not, by practice, reserve specific sets prior to check-in. They are basically available on a first come first served basis. As is the nature of our business, in the summer months, with unsecured tee times, we often have several no-shows on any given day and cannot therefore hold particular rental sets in anticipation of them being used by a certain group. This practice is just not feasible for our operation. It is our policy to tell golfers who inquire about rental clubs that we have a limited number of sets available and that they range in price from $27-$40, based on availability. It seems this message was not effectively conveyed to you during your reservation call, and for that I also apologize.
Our staff have certain policies and job parameters they must work within, but this should be accomplished in a positive and helpful manner and we certainly never want to be rude or disrespectful to any of our valued guests.
Again, I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit and I would like to ask that you to contact me personally to discuss this situation further, to see if we can reach a satisfactory resolution. Please email me at your convenience at blong@oceanridge.com.

Bill Long

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Played Panthers Run yesterday. The course layout is good with some great, challenging holes but, right now, it is in very poor condition. Lots of weeds on the fairways and fringes. I was less than 2 yards off the 18th green in the fringe and my ball was between two large clumps of grass which meant I was unable to putt. This is not my Idea of "good condition". Same thing in the short rough. Putting greens are also in poor condition. Many holes in cart paths. This is a course that needs some work done and significant investment to bring it back to its full potential. Staff were friendly and generally welcoming.

1  Thank Liz J
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thank you for your recent visit to Panther's Run. We certainly apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. It is indeed a beautiful layout, and, as one of the most popular courses in our area, it has undergone a tremendous amount of play and traffic through the years. It is time for some improvements and are in the process of addressing many of the issues you mentioned. We are aggressively treating the invading weeds and we are planning to undertake extensive cart path renovations as well. We hope you will check back with us in the future and you should be able to play a refreshed version of this course very soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

I read a lot of reviews about this. Terms like "rude staff" and "terrible conditions" were written. Totally false. The staff was great. I was looking for someone to be rude. It never happened. Everyone was polite, friendly and made us feel welcomed. My group had a great time. I would recommend.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Thank you very much, Gregory! Most people don't take the time to post reviews of their positive experiences, so we appreciate it very much! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Not worth the full fare - prob $35 at best with very poor conditions from tee to green, bad customer service and slow play.

2  Thank rbestercy
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2017

We are very sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience at Panther's Run. If you would, could you give me more information on your critique, including specifics on the customer service issues and pace of play?
Please send your reply to blong@oceanridge.com
Once again we apologize that Panther's Run did not meet your expectations, but we will take whatever steps necessary to address the specific issues you mentioned.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Been several years since we have played at this facility. We have noticed a trend in the area of declining conditions of the courses in the myrtle beach area. The concern seems to get as many people out on the course as possible. Our round was just over 5 hrs. Too long. Conditions were fair at best. Greens are challenging and ran pretty fast and true. Not much rough to deal with but lots of trouble off the fairway. Thicker rough would save some wayward shots and at least keep you out of the houses or woods. The driving range could definitely use some work. The last time we were here you could drive over on your way to the tee box and met the starter there. Now it is a long walk over with the ball machine on the far side of the range. The range looked like hitting out to a field with some stakes for targets. Overall a good track, fun to play, conditions need attention.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thank you very much for your feedback. We will definitely do our best to address your areas of concern. We have several renovation projects on the schedule and expect most of the issues you mentioned to be addressed and improved. You can keep track of our progress on our Facebook and twitter pages. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another opportunity to show our best side on your next visit.