“Save Your Time and Money”

Panther's Run Golf Links
Ranked #10 of 20 things to do in Sunset Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Panther's Run Golf Links was born to be a different breed of golf. Winding its way throughout a pristine nature preserve, this magnificent Tim Cate design is one of The Grand Strand's all-time favorite layouts. Now featuring new MiniVerde greens, this gorgeous Big Cat is groomed to perfection and ready to help you go on the hunt for some birdies!
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Reserved a tee time for me and my brother-in-law. We needed to rent clubs so I inquired about needing to rent them when I made the reservation the day before. They had two options, a newer set for $40/player, and older sets for $27/player. I specified that I would take two older sets, RH Mens. Our tee time was 8:20 am. Upon checking in the next morning, was told that they did not have any $27 sets available because they had already rented out their only set! Why was I not told that on the phone when I made the reservation that they only had one $27 set! Therefore, we were forced to rent the $40 sets. As well, the guy at the pro shop was extremely rude during this whole process. Plus, the $40 "good" sets where crap Callaway Strata sets. Regarding the course, the tee box and fairways were in bad shape, weeds and hard dirt. The greens were in ok shape, and the layout was fair. I will not be playing this course again, don't waste your time and money.

1  Thank dmalobicky
Bill L, General Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

We would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to make us aware of your unsatisfactory experience at Panther's Run. It is only through such constructive feedback that we can address issues as they arise, as we strive to continue to improve our operation. We also thank you for choosing to play one of The Big Cats courses recently. Regarding your comment about course conditions, the summer months are "off season" for golf courses in our region (Spring and fall are peak times) for several reasons. Paramount are weather conditions, namely the often extreme heat and lack of rain we can experience in summer months. Such conditions are not at all conducive to keeping golf course conditions at their very best. In fact, we are currently faced with a drastic shortage of water, which makes it extremely difficult to maintain desired irrigation practices. Therefore, we have to ration our water, with greens being at the top of the priority list. Because of this, fairway and tee box conditions can sometimes be less than we desire in such extreme circumstances. This is the main reason our rates are up to 70% lower in the summer than in peak seasons. Even so, I want to sincerely apologize that your group experienced these less than ideal course conditions during your recent visit.
With that being said, I also want to apologize for the confusion regarding rental club options. We have a limited number of sets available to rent each day and do not, by practice, reserve specific sets prior to check-in. They are basically available on a first come first served basis. As is the nature of our business, in the summer months, with unsecured tee times, we often have several no-shows on any given day and cannot therefore hold particular rental sets in anticipation of them being used by a certain group. This practice is just not feasible for our operation. It is our policy to tell golfers who inquire about rental clubs that we have a limited number of sets available and that they range in price from $27-$40, based on availability. It seems this message was not effectively conveyed to you during your reservation call, and for that I also apologize.
Our staff have certain policies and job parameters they must work within, but this should be accomplished in a positive and helpful manner and we certainly never want to be rude or disrespectful to any of our valued guests.
Again, I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit and I would like to ask that you to contact me personally to discuss this situation further, to see if we can reach a satisfactory resolution. Please email me at your convenience at blong@oceanridge.com.

Bill Long

"challenges"
"facility"
"week"

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Played Panthers Run yesterday. The course layout is good with some great, challenging holes but, right now, it is in very poor condition. Lots of weeds on the fairways and fringes. I was less than 2 yards off the 18th green in the fringe and my ball was between two large clumps of grass which meant I was unable to putt. This is not my Idea of "good condition". Same thing in the short rough. Putting greens are also in poor condition. Many holes in cart paths. This is a course that needs some work done and significant investment to bring it back to its full potential. Staff were friendly and generally welcoming.

1  Thank Liz J
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thank you for your recent visit to Panther's Run. We certainly apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. It is indeed a beautiful layout, and, as one of the most popular courses in our area, it has undergone a tremendous amount of play and traffic through the years. It is time for some improvements and are in the process of addressing many of the issues you mentioned. We are aggressively treating the invading weeds and we are planning to undertake extensive cart path renovations as well. We hope you will check back with us in the future and you should be able to play a refreshed version of this course very soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

I read a lot of reviews about this. Terms like "rude staff" and "terrible conditions" were written. Totally false. The staff was great. I was looking for someone to be rude. It never happened. Everyone was polite, friendly and made us feel welcomed. My group had a great time. I would recommend.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Thank you very much, Gregory! Most people don't take the time to post reviews of their positive experiences, so we appreciate it very much! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Not worth the full fare - prob $35 at best with very poor conditions from tee to green, bad customer service and slow play.

2  Thank rbestercy
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2017

We are very sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience at Panther's Run. If you would, could you give me more information on your critique, including specifics on the customer service issues and pace of play?
Please send your reply to blong@oceanridge.com
Once again we apologize that Panther's Run did not meet your expectations, but we will take whatever steps necessary to address the specific issues you mentioned.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 April 2017

Been several years since we have played at this facility. We have noticed a trend in the area of declining conditions of the courses in the myrtle beach area. The concern seems to get as many people out on the course as possible. Our round was just over 5 hrs. Too long. Conditions were fair at best. Greens are challenging and ran pretty fast and true. Not much rough to deal with but lots of trouble off the fairway. Thicker rough would save some wayward shots and at least keep you out of the houses or woods. The driving range could definitely use some work. The last time we were here you could drive over on your way to the tee box and met the starter there. Now it is a long walk over with the ball machine on the far side of the range. The range looked like hitting out to a field with some stakes for targets. Overall a good track, fun to play, conditions need attention.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thank you very much for your feedback. We will definitely do our best to address your areas of concern. We have several renovation projects on the schedule and expect most of the issues you mentioned to be addressed and improved. You can keep track of our progress on our Facebook and twitter pages. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another opportunity to show our best side on your next visit.