“A great bargain”
Master Bathroom
Master Bathroom
Bathroom
Washer and Dryer
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

ShellyH4
Danville, Virginia
“A great bargain”
Reviewed 21 July 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

Arrived on the island by 3, check-in time, and was not at all surprised or upset that the house wasn't ready until 45 minutes later. Was handed a notebook full of extensive DO'S and DON'TS. The fines for this, that and the other were quite intimidating to me. Any deviance from their rules would result in a financial slap! I had scrimped and saved for this trip and was quite nervous that I might do anything that could be perceived in need of a fine I could ill afford. In this atmosphere of fear and intimidation, I continue my story....
When you arrive do not despair that your keys and the (?sliding?-hahahaha-) glass door are quite sticky from beach living. Metal deteriorates rapidly in the salt air. They all worked-barely! The wood on all the handrails and porches is quite weathered so wear shoes and try to not use the handrail as anything more than a protection from falling; as a hand hold and guide you will get splinters!
The game "nook" in the house description is simply a rattan moveable shelf/hutch with backgammon, a deck of airline cards and a poker chips holder. There is an "entertainment unit" on the hutch as well- the speakers on the radio/receiver unit are weak, tinny and pretty useless, as is the AM/FM receiver, desperately in need of a good antennae to "receive" any kind of signal!
Bring AA and AAA batteries as the TV remote may need new ones...I simply switched them around and it (barely) worked but it did finally work. Trying to figure out which remote to use as well as which power button(s) to push proved VERY frustrating until I pushed the right combination ( I easily mucked up the whole techie process with a single button pressed in curiosity). Picture is good and many cable channels-wireless worked flawlessly.
The kitchen has an electric griddle, thank goodness, as the rest of the pans are hard to use if you have not experienced the wonder of cast iron or stainless steel cooking. There is very limited space for the food to be stored as all the cabinets are a jumble with glasses, cups, plates, pots, serving bowls, etc. No specific empty shelf for food which is less than welcoming. I put all my spices and cans, etc., on the counters, limiting my food prep space. Refrigerator and freezer, with an ice maker, is awesome and cold! The mattresses are perfect and sleeping was great!
Maybe my initial frustrations mentioned above were caused by the A/C not working when I arrived. Thinking that a little warmth was to be expected with the recently departing family, the cleaning crew as well as the 'inspector' opening and closing the sticky sliding glass door, I accepted this and went out for dinner. I was too hot to unload the car (food, suitcases, bags and boxes) when I initially arrived. Returning from dinner, it was still quite disgustingly HOT. I cried....not a nice beginning to a much anticipated vacation week!
DAY2: After a lovely day on the beach I again returned to a stuffy house. I acquiesced, accepting the situation. Sunday night I slept in the living room with ALL the windows wide open, ALL ceiling fans on high speed and a mattress on the floor to catch any crosswinds. I also left the front and back doors opened and unlocked, a scary bit of trust for a single female senior citizen. In fear of a fine being levied for being a whiner, a complaining tourist or worse, a curmudgeon, I finally called the realty company on Monday. RELIEF by DAY THREE!
They indicated that there are 3 emergencies for which any tenant should call: water, heat and A/C. Wish I had known. Rest of the vacation was COOL and I was a happy camper.
I WILL rent this very same house again- armed with WD-40!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: away from the crowds
Liked least: the FEAR and INTIMIDATION of that notebook!!
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing