Moonshine Creek Campground
Very Good 4/5
US$222
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsbath housetent campingrv siteslaundry facilityfire ringowners and staffgranite countertopstravel trailerrustic cabinrushing waterwashers and dryersnext monthstream runningtroutbig rigslice of heavenfull hookups
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We had two campsites in this beautiful campground. The owners were very helpful in getting us a good side by side location for two tent sites. The location of tent sites is great as it is just next to downstream creek. So a nice sleep in the night is for sure. The washrooms were kept clean and are with hot showers.

Only reason for not giving 5-stars is few things, which dont matter a lot but still can be good suggestion, The showers and washroom area for tent sites is a bit away from them. They have one single toilet though near tent site, but if tent sites are full, then you have go a bit away to the main showers area. And to some extent the camp sites are very close to each other.

The wifi is limited to the registration lobby area and can be used even in few nearing tent sites.

Overall, it has very good amenities as listed, friendly staff and a very family friendly surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Abhishek M
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This campground is beautiful. Very very clean restrooms. Had a site right along the creek, it was gorgeous. The owners will do anything for you, they are so friendly and helpful. I was treated like a family member while I was at Moonshine Creek. Thank you to Jim, Jim B, and Dana!! This is a one of a kind campground - nicest I've ever been to!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank stephbigs
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Wonderful, cool, quiet, well maintained campground. Host Jim & Dana take very good care of their guest. Sitting by the fire pit with a roaring fire, listening to the creek sounds puts me right to sleep. All the host are so friendly and most helpful. Guest are downright friendly as well. We will not camp anywhere else! Love my Moonshine.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ayden06
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The campground has a nice setting, but the facilities are old. I asked for a quiet site that was dark, no lights. They gave me a place with a big close streetlight and no way to block it out in the cabin. So I moved to a campsite, telling them in the morning that I would return late that night, left gear in site to show it was occupied. When I arrived that night, they had given the site to someone else.

The people you talk to on the phone are nice, but the follow thru is not good and the local staff are different people, some just arrived and not well informed.

This place seems better suited to trailer people who are staying a while and have all their own facilities.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Dana C, Owner at Moonshine Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Linda,
So sorry for your inconvenience we will be sure to review this with all of our workampers. They arrive early in the season and it takes a few weeks for everyone to learn the sites. Please accept our apology and we appreciate your feedback we are always looking for ways to improve.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We can't say enough about our stay at Moonshine Creek. From my many calls to the front desk, to the impeccably maintained campground, everything was wonderful. We were going to arrive late and one of the staff (Dana) even offered her cell phone number in case we got lost or had trouble finding our camping cabin. That was really thoughtful! I wish I could remember everyone's names because each one was wonderful. We stayed in a camping cabin and couldn't have been happier - all the joys of camping without a tent. I was mostly impressed with how clean everything is. Moonshine Creek is, after all, a campground with dirt and trees and bugs, but somehow the restrooms, cabins and bathhouses were spotless. The staff really takes a lot of pride in maintaining the place. If you look at the campground map, you'll notice there are train tracks that run behind the campground. I was concerned about that but we only saw the train twice and it was during the day. The creek is loud and provides the best sleep ever. The location can't be beat - just a half hour from Asheville, and only a few miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway. There's a brand new WalMart in Waynesville just 10 minutes away if you need supplies. I'm sure it's busy there during the summer but for our stay (the weekend before Memorial Day), it was perfect. We are looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We loved our camping cabin but every site (RV, tent, cabin) is a wonderful location. I'm sure the staff can help you pick out the perfect spot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple