“Very competitive choice”
Review of Comfort Inn

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Sylva
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here for several days on an emergency basis. I was not hopeful of getting a room during the week leading to July 4th, but the hotel seemed to have many rooms available. This may have been because the pool for this new hotel is not yet open. I understand that the plans are for an indoor salt water pool. My quoted rate of $79 was much less than the $107 rate I was quoted several months earlier for another family member, presumably due to the delayed pool opening.

As with other travelers, the front desk and breakfast staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The hot breakfast items change daily and include such things as egg and cheese omelets, sausage gravy and biscuits, French toast, chicken patties, link sausage and the thinnest bacon I have ever seen. The construction workers who frequent the hotel were very appreciative of the breakfast. However, the housekeeping staff needs some training. One day my room was not cleaned at all, and every day I had to ask for sufficient towels for the room. Other days there was lack of attention to details, e.g., tissue, sheets and coffee were not replaced. Some of the housekeeping staff was new, that may account for the omissions.

I expected décor that would acknowledge the mountain setting, but it was quite modern with colors that included lime green. The dining area is spacious but nonetheless can get crowded at peak hours. There is a patio off the dining area but I noticed only one table for those who want to brave the morning chill. I wish that the fitness center were open 24/7 since the front desk is always manned; the center closes at 10 p.m. It is nice to have two fast computers available off the lobby, with a printer. Please note that there is no entry to the lobby from the stairwell.

Going upstairs, as someone else noted the one elevator is VERY slow. The rooms have microwaves and fridges, set in a cabinet with two small drawers. Other than the closet, that is the only storage. The fridge does not have a freezer, and the microwave is located so low that one has to squat to use it. I like that the beds hold both soft and firm pillows, for the traveler's choice.

The hotel is well located off the main highway to Western Carolina University. There is a Walmart across the street and several restaurants are convenient. Despite the noted deficiencies I will be staying here again if I have need of a hotel, because the hotel is a standout for the choices in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank karofl1

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice now, and was very pleased both times. The staff is very welcoming and helpful, rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. This area has been in desperate need of a great hotel, and finally it has one!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy C
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed your hotel. Not only was it new and clean, but your staff was also pleasant and friendly. The location is very convenient for anyone wanting to explore western North Carolina and needing a centrally located hotel. Keep doing what you're doing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John P
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I really liked the hotel. It was new and you could tell because everything was pristine. The prices were good. The breakfast had lots of options and everyone could find something to eat on it. The only problem I had was the room we were in was on the parking lot side of the building on the 3rd floor, so very early in the morning the sun came bursting into the room to the point where I couldn't sleep anymore. They only have a thin curtain that you can fully close and the thick one does not close completely over the window. Be mindful of this if you need to sleep later and ask for a room on the opposite side of the building. Otherwise, I hope the hotel stays as nice as it is now and I will return!

Room Tip: Don't get one facing the parking lot if you want to sleep later. Sun comes into room too easily!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Judith S, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thanks for your recent stay with us at the beautiful new Comfort Inn of Sylva. We appreciate your recognition and comments regarding the newness of our facility. My team and I are dedicated to keeping it as new and pristine always as it is now! I apologize that the thick liner drapery which is the third and main closure was not apparent, as all our rooms have total light blockage when it is closed. When you visit us again, we will happily assist you with closing it. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I found my stay at the Comfort Inn in Sylva a most pleasant experience. The facility was very clean and impressive with a great view over looking the valley. Upon arriving for my two day stay, I discovered myself with car trouble. I found the front desk personnel to be friendly and helpful. I appreciate the assistance from the front desk personnel in getting my car fixed. I would have been lost with out their assistance and knowledge of the local area. The hotel served a complete hot breakfast. The food was hot and very good. The two days that I was there, they had new and different entree items to choose from each day. Sandie, the breakfast bar host, was very attentive and kept the bar well stocked.

Room Tip: My room had a great view overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael R

Thank you for your recent stay at our lovely hilltop Comfort Inn of Sylva. We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, except for your car trouble. We realize how stressful things such as that can be away from home, and we strive to offer all the assistance and comfort we can in times like those. We hope the next time you return it will be sheer relaxation. Again, we appreciate your great comments.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at the Comfort Inn in Sylva, NC. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous. From the breathtaking color schemes to the textures of the details, nothing was left undone. The room was very clean and the bed was amazingly comfortable. I slept like a baby. The view from my room was beautiful. When you look out the windows you see the beauty of the mountains in this region. There is also a patio off of the breakfast room where I was able to sit outside and enjoy the morning sunrise with my coffee.
The breakfast was full of choices. They offered eggs, biscuits and gravy, sweet potato tots, chicken patties, sausage links, cereal, waffles (in a variety of flavors), donuts, bagels, juice, milk and coffee. There was something for everyone. The breakfast attendant Sandra was very pleasant and helpful. Sandra had a young girl named Belle helping her. Belle was very helpful and kept the tables cleaned as people left.
I also had the pleasure of meeting the GM. Her name is Judith. She is quite a remarkable lady. Her personality and attention to her guests matched the vibrant atmosphere that she has created at this hotel. I wish more managers were as involved as Judith was. She took the time to greet everyone as she walked through the hotel which made me feel special like they were actually happy I was there. I would also like to commend Ira and Noah for always greeting me with a smile.
I would recommend this hotel for any kind of travel.....family, couples, business or just some time to yourself. This hotel is definitely the Gem of the Mountains.

Room Tip: I was in a room on the 4th floor. The view from this floor is breathtaking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank connie8671

Wow, what a great review!!! We are so happy you enjoyed our beautiful hotel, super luxurious beds, and large hot breakfast buffet during your recent stay. Most of all, thanks for your very kind compliments regarding my team. Every one of us here are engaged with our guests, and it makes my position as General Manager pleasurable. Please come back and visit every time you return to the region.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

For some the location will be good, and of course for others it may be bad, but the 4 floor hotel offers good sleeping beds and a nice breakfast. The elevator is incredibly slow, and the building only has 4 floors. The heating and cooling in the rooms should be much better than it is. Our air conditioning went off in the middle of the night for absolutely no reason. There is no wall thermostat control like you find in better hotels. The maid service did not bring us new towels. The front desk does seem to be really interested in doing a good job, but there are definitely better hotels in Sylva. Better quality and better value. All in all a nice addition for Sylva, but doubt that I'll ever stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Judith S, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the new Comfort Inn of Sylva. We appreciate all our guests and welcome all feedback. Our guests enjoy our location as being the closest hotel to Western Carolina University, as well as being in the hub of shopping with many restaurant choices adjacent to us. Simultaneously our rooms have excellent views of the beautiful mountains which surround us. We hope you will come back and visit us again so you can enjoy our expansive complimentary hot breakfast buffet and state of the art fitness center. We apologize that you were unaware of our wall thermostats in each room which regulate room temperature to your comfort. Thanks for your kind compliments regarding my team, and thanks again for your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sylva
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sylva Dillsboro Area
#4 of 6 in Sylva
15 mi away
#4 of 12 in Franklin
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!