“Nice views on Cradle of Human Kind but expensive and terrible cuisine”

Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Nice views on Cradle of Human Kind but expensive and terrible cuisine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

First of all, great views.

I stayed at this hotel over Christmas 2011 with my family. When I arrived the hotel was completely empty. Not a lot happening. Later more people arrived but the hotel retained its desolated feel. So excellent of you come to escape from city hectic. Not so suitable for a family with kids.
The low point was however the food. There is a chef with ambition that just doesn’t quite make it. For example, when ordering your meat medium it may arrive anywhere between raw and completely overcooked. Lots of fat used in a simple thing like an omelette and cakes for desert that should have spend 15 more minutes in the oven. Given the pricing of the hotel this was disappointing.

And the thing is… There is not a hole lot of choice to eat elsewhere given that the hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

The Maropeng visitor centre (very close, entrance included when staying at the hotel), Sterkfontein caves, Rhino and Lion Park where worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kapitein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
antwerp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed 1 night as part of a tour. Nice hotel. Friendly staff. Service with a smile. Good food. Nice room. Nice terrrace too, with a sign to watch out for snakes in the high grass, and within walking distance to the Cradle of Mankind visitor’s centre. A visit to this centre is certainly worthwhile.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I went on a teambuilding / goal setting trip with my team and I had mixed feelings about this hotel in terms of my total experience. So I will try to be objective in my review.
The element that need to be worked on are practical and can be fixed so I can only hope that they use the feedback to their advantage.

WHAT WAS GOOD

- Rooms: Very spacious, beautiful views, big beds and large bathrooms.
- Hotel: Architecture of the hotel was gorgeous, earthy feel to it
- Ambience: Very quiet, you would never think Johannesburg is so close
- Service: Hotel staff quite attentive and went the extra mile to assist (They let me use their PC after I spent an hour trying to connect via 3G unsuccessfully)
-Closeness to the Cradle of Humankind centre

WHAT NEEDS WORK
-Food: We did not have the best food, especially when it came to dessert; the Malva pudding tasted like egg (or in my colleagues words…”egg that claimed to be Malva pudding!”). Even though the host
replaced it with a bottle of wine…it was cold and we really wanted some warm dessert.
- There was no network and since it was a business trip; this was a deal killer for me
- While the attraction is the Cradle of Humankind, the hotel itself in my perception was not quite family or child friend – it came across as a very formal but also doesn’t balance out the business need for connectivity.

Overall a good hotel but would not be my first choice of accommodation in the area, especially if the above challenges are not addressed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LindaniMbali
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

Hotel is located directly next to UN Heritage Site "Cradle of Mankind" - superb rooms, very clean, friendly staff, good food in restaurant, and stunning views of area from rooms as well as restaurant... We would very much recommend this place.

Our deal price included visit to the museum (on site) as well as the nearby caves - great valuye for money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire, US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

This hotel is affiliated with the Cradle of Humankind museum and located in close proximity. Going to the museum was an excellent experience, but staying at the Maropeng Hotel was not.

On the plus side, I had no problems getting in and out of our handicapped accessible room with my mobility scooter. Also, the room was clean, fairly large, and had a small patio with a view of the plains beyond. In the morning we saw eland (a type of antelope) out there.

On the down side, our room did not have a phone. Management claimed that an electrical storm had blown out the line. The room also lacked an alarm clock, so we had to rely on a morning wakeup knock. This worked out OK, but for the price of the room the lack of a phone wasn't acceptable.

Most of the employees were friendly, especially the bellmen. However, nobody seemed to really be in charge. When checking out, I asked the "duty manager" if they could mail a postcard for us. His response was they don't do that. Again, this wasn't an inexpensive hotel, so declining to mail a postcard for a guest isn't acceptable.

Choosing the dinner option as part of our rate was a mistake. The menu was very limited - two first course options, two or three main course options, two dessert options - and none of these were especially inspired. I ordered the lamb chops and after it was too late, I realized that our waiter neglected to ask me how I wanted them done. They arrived extremely well done, requiring the superior jaw strength of the Australopithecus africanus we'd seen earlier in the museum to actually chew. For dessert my wife and I both had fruit topped with ice cream. The fruit was canned and not very good; the ice cream was slightly better.

Breakfast the next morning a large buffet with lots of hot and cold options. And all of them were surprisingly good - definitely a lot better than dinner.

Maybe we just caught them on an off night, but I really can't recommend staying here. Especially for the price.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Benoni, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2009

We have just returned from a one night stay at this stunning property. We were on a special for the month of April for +-$78US, for dinner, bed and breakfast and which included vouchers for the Maropeng experience and the Sterkfontein caves, both part of the Cradle of Mankind heritage sites.
The immediate first impression at the reception was poor, but once the receptionist had finished her private call and peered in my direction it improved dramatically after that. Being in the service industry myself, I get highly agitated when the simple basics of making a guest feel welcome is not applied.
The hotel room was simply luxurious and the large full bathroom with large bath and power shower and quality toiletries was perfect.
The TV had a good selection of Local and Satellite programs, but it was simply brilliant to open the large sliding door and just listen to the sounds of the night in the pristine African bush.
The view from the private sitting area in front of the room was magnificent, and experiencing a sunset overlooking the layers of Magaliesberg Mountains was magical.
The small swimming pool was apprecaited, even though it is starting to get chilly in the evenings now, the day time temperature with clear bright blues skies was around 26 deg C.
The dinner was a set menu with a choice of 2 starters, 3 mains and Desserts.
We had 2 different starters, and mine, the Fresh smoked Salmon on a bed of Rocket and cream cheese and caremelised onions, presented in style was delicious. We both had Fillet Steak served on a bed of Tasty Mash potatoes and accompanied by seasonal vegetables. The meat was incredibly tender and was served with a tasty garlic, wine and tomato based gravy the other with a Mild Roquefort sauce. Both were cooked to exact perfection for us, and asking for more gravy was immediately arranged, with a smile. The light dessert of a berry flavoured brulee served in a wine glass was just superb as well.
Our waiter was such a treat, keeping a sense of humour even though he had to attend to 3 other large tables. We ultimately tipped him extremely generously to which he even sought out my partner on our departure to thank her as well.
The room has a bar fridge and a WELL stocked coffee and tea selection with enough milk and sugar etc. We asked for more milk to be kept for morning tea, and 3 minutes later a full small jug was delivered
The breakfast was typical of what to except in a good 4 Star hotel in South Africa. A generous array of cereals, Fresh fruits, cheeses, cold meats and many, many pastries on the Cold buffet and then a selection of Eggs, Sausages, Bacon, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and baked beans. Once again we had Aaron our friendly waited and similar attentive service as what we had the previous evening.
We were then fortunate to meet the Managing Director at breakfast and it was no wonder the property is so well run. He has been the General Manger of some of the top 5 star properties in Southern Africa for the last 40 years and still retains a passion for his profession, He was called out of semi retirement to run the 3 properties on behalf of the concession that has managing rights to them and running a tight ship is his absolute forte. Thus the visits to the Maropeng Experience and the caves are equally as brilliant and well organised and a must see once in ones life.
In all a great experience we would love to do again one day on a special occassion.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

I stayed at The Maropeng Hotel for 2 nights during June 2008.
It's a boutique hotel and is situated on the same grounds at The Cradle of Humankind.
The hotel has stunning views and it's wheelchair accessible!
My room was nice and big and came with 2 three quarter beds.
The bathroom has a roll in shower with the necessary grab rails and the basin has under counter access. My only problem with the bathroom was that the shower and toilet are in the same area and there is now shower curtain, so the toilet gets wet, as does the entire bathroom floor, which does make it very very slippery when transferring from chair to toilet and vice versa. Not to mention the tyre tracks on the bedroom carpet... But that's their problem I suppose...
The room comes with the usual tv and fridge should you wish to cool anything down. Tea/coffee making facilities which is the norm nowadays. And there is a bar in the dining area, should you want for something cold to drink or stronger.... :-))
The room has it's own patio area with stunning views! And it's so peaceful and quiet... It really was heaven!
We ate in the dining area on our first night, again very wheelchair accessible but the food was lacking in inspiration...

• Liked — The view and the silence...
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank kaAngel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#2 of 7 in Magaliesburg
Forum Homini Hotel
Forum Homini Hotel
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift

Been to Maropeng Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!