“Excellent camp, great surroundings, a bit expensive for larger groups”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Todd
Blue Bear Mountain Camp
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our group of 9 stayed over the July 4th weekend. Even with a mostly full campground, there was plenty of space and privacy for all. The restrooms are clean and enough to handle even a holiday weekend. We plan to return again.
The cost is reasonable for a small group, but gets expensive if there's a larger group. On the issues I noted in some other posts, I thought that the customer service was excellent, and visited several times with the owner and others and found them to be very friendly and helpful.
Have camped all over Ashe and Wautaga. Unless I've missed something, this is overall the best I've found, although more costly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alva C

Reviewed 7 July 2014

A semi remote camp park (only 8 miles to Boone)... very clean and nice sites.(bath houses as well ! ) I saw a lot of happy campers with very helpfull hosts for local info.They also treated us all to a live bluegrass band sat. evening ... could not have been better.

I'll be back !

Bryan / Amber the poodle maniac

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Loved this camp ground! clean bathrooms and nice people.... Great tent sites. Grill and fire ring, tent pad is grass and trees are big to hang a hammock on. going to tack some scouts up there in the future.
We will be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A group of us went to Blue Bear Mountain to check out the remote sites for camping. We inquired if it was okay to hike the trail and look at the spots. This didn't seem to be an issue until we stop to take a break and drink some water. The woman running the office comes down the trail and says, "This is not a park!" she continues by saying, "I'm going to walk up the trail and when I come back ya'll need to be gone."
This explains why there was absolutely no one besides the ten of us on the mountain. Why on earth would one run off potential income and in such a harsh manner? Seriously lacking in management and customer service skills.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsJamesHoward
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The electric sites do not have water at the site. This is not clearly stated on the website, so if you need water hookup at the site look elsewhere. Also if you have an RV any bigger than a popup, driving up the one lane gravel road will be a challenge. Also be aware that the policy for canceling is 96 hours or you are charged the full amount. Even if you do cancel according to the policy you will be charged 15 dollars. I might as well have thrown $70 out the window. The rates are higher than anything else around and there are definitely much better places around. Thankfully we had a fall back, we should have stuck with the camp ground we knew would be good.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank 7495jones
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My girlfriend and I love camping and we are always looking for those unknown hidden gems and this place is one of em! Very clean restrooms, super friendly staff and they are all about keeping the area natural and beautiful. We originally were going to stay 2 days of our vacation here and ended up staying the whole week, by far the best campground in the area. My only complaint would be no running water at the campsites but for this kind of peace and serenity I'll walk to the bathhouse and fill up a water jug :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor M
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Pros:
Todd, NC is a beautiful area, close to many activities. The campground itself is pretty spartan, so probably caters more to adult campers looking to get away from campgrounds that pack them in like sardines. There isn't a lot for kids to do here, so it's probably pretty relaxing for adult campers... that is until our group of 10 little girls shows up bringing chaos with them.

We try to be respectful of other campers and therefore look for private group sites... which is where our experience begins...

We recently planned a group camping trip for 8 dads and 10 daughters (ages 8-11). We spoke to the owner on the phone before booking and explained that we wanted a remote group site away from other campers so we wouldn't bother them with our noise and chaos... and for the privacy.

When we arrived, we found the group site was in the center of a large field on the side of a hill. While the other individual campsites certainly aren't right on top of you, they are still sharing the same field as you as if it's just one large communal area where the sound carries. We would have just dealt with the fact that it wasn't as private as we were lead to believe, however the site is on the side of a hill with only enough level ground for maybe 3 large tents... we had 8. The other 5 tents would have been on a significant slope... and the 3 that would have been on level ground would have been in mud. The owner has attempted to create some level ground, but it had rained previously and the recently created "level tent pad" had newly planted (i.e. sparse) foot tall new grass/straw on it. So, would have been very muddy and uncomfortable. So muddy, we were advised not to drive to the site to unload our gear or risk getting stuck.

The owner told us over the phone he'd previously had much larger groups on this site and 17 tents, so we made the drive with no worries... thinking we had reserved a large, private, group site. This site simply wouldn't work for us. What's worse, they wanted to charge $304 for two nights.

We approached the staff at the office to let them know this site wouldn't work for us and see if there were any other options available. They mentioned there was a remote, "hike-in" site available we could use that would probably be a better fit. This other site sounded great (of course so did the one we booked when described over the phone), but we pack waaay too much when we camp to even consider hiking in. They would have delivered all of the gear to us... for another $80 charge. So after buying firewood from them (required), renting the site, and paying for gear delivery... the cost would have been over $400 for 2 nights... ridiculous for camping.

We politely declined the alternative offer and spoke with the owner via phone for 15-20 minutes explaining our situation. We left Blue Bear Mtn, drove 20 minutes to another campground and found a great site for half the price. The kids all made it a point to let the dads know how much better the new campground was than the one we left (Blue Bear Mtn) that was just weird with no trees for shade, etc.

Our group has been going on trips like this 2-3 times per year for the past 5 years and has never paid anywhere close to $300, and have always had tons more space, privacy, plenty of level tent pads.

I normally would just try to take the high road and give the owner the benefit of the doubt that this was just a miscommunication and I'd consider it a lesson learned. I'm only leaving a negative review because I feel the owner mislead us and more importantly that he has had this same conversation with previous groups with similar complaints (based upon comments he made).

Unfortunately, the owner still chose to charge my credit card (which I never approved/signed) for $100. The nightly rate for that site is $35 for 2 ppl (then you add $8 pp extra). We didn't use the site at all, therefore no extra campers to charge. Had the owner charged us $35 for the first night cancellation, we would have just eaten the charge and moved along. Instead he pulled the $100 charge out of the air and charged my card without approval.

I've since disputed the charge and received a full refund from my credit card company. However, the owner gets to keep the $100 because it's not worth it for the credit card company to go after it.

Bottom line, this campground might be ok for a single family going camping, but the owner should have recognized that our group isn't his target market. Don't take a group here expecting privacy or level tent pads if you book the field site (F7 I think it was). Also, the customer service is lacking, so hopefully you won't have any issues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank sboyce00

Been to Blue Bear Mountain Camp? Share your experiences!