“A jolly good time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Topsail Beach
Jolly Roger Inn & Pier
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Topsail Beach
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Unless your renting a house for your stay on Topsail; your choices are somewhat limited. If you have a pet (dog) it gets even more complicated....there's Tiffany's and Sea Vista. I liken the Jolly Roger to a Sea Vista without pets. Tiffany's is about the same, but a short proximity to the beach. Sea Vista has a better location of the 3. I believe any negative comments about all 3, come from those expecting resort amenities at these places or believe that $160- $200 (in season) a night should buy "chocolates on your pillow". What it does buy you at the Jolly Roger is a priceless view of the beach; easy beach access;ample parking; decent restaurants across the road and within easy driving and at a very close walk to an active fishing pier and some quick necessities (beer, sodas, water, breakfast, coffee, tee shirts, papers and etc. Yes, as a previous review mentioned there are no phones in the rooms... so pick-up your cellphone or and think about it; who do you want to call; Max's pizza doesn't accept reservations. Even kids entertainment is across the street...and a great place to stop for an ice crème cone at night. No coffee maker in your room; so go down stairs and order your coffee and breathe in the southern ambiance and talk to people. Or... sit for breakfast made on the griddle and lighten up. The rooms are very basic... and yes, the balcony's are not seclusive...so say hi to your neighbor as you drape a wet towel or steal a smoke (you see, no-one will turn you in with their non-smoking policy). The kids just came back from Cancun (last month) after spending $4,000 dollars on a $4000 view... with chocolates, champagne,special fragrance pillows and massages. This is not what Topsail/Jolly Rodger is about; it a $200 cost for a $4000 view and the beach is right there: literally. They raved about Topsail more than they raved about Cancun. The kids needed to change rooms from a 2 double bed to a single double bed "closet" at the Jolly Rodger, and since it was Friday $165+ turn into $210 ALL IN. They laughed and even called it more romantic. It was sparse...and my daughter mentioned that she spent more hours on the beach and romping around Topsail than in the room and it didn't matter. The basics work here and with all 3 places...the room has a bed or beds, there is a refrigerator in the room, a microwave, a TV, a dresser, a coat hanger. Sea Vista allows pets and I suggest the 3rd floor, Tiffany's also accepts pets and I suggest the 2nd and 3rd floor, but is a very short walk to the beach....they have also rebuilt after the fire and the Jolly Roger... no pets(no smoking at least in the room); cleaner than the Sea Vista and the staff will go out of their way to answer any concerns. The lady's that clean the rooms are spectacular. A great trip!

Room Tip: Go high to see across the dunes and of course grab an end room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tom h

Reviewed 22 June 2014

All you get is a view. The price of these rooms only includes a view and beach access. I’ll just jot down the specifics. Lets start with the room. We opted for a basic room, beach side (3rd floor). The two beds are DOUBLES, not queens. No alarm clock, no in room coffee maker (not even instant), not even a phone. 6 mini bars of soap – nothing else for toiletries. If you want your room 'cool', the A/C will run ALL night - it's not quite either! 2 chairs with a small end table as your ‘seating’ area. There is a small dorm style fridge and TINY microwave and towels. No closet, just a rack on the wall to hang clothes and a 3-drawer dresser. TV is about a 19” (we do have cable though) there is an ice bucket in the room, but the ice is back down across the parking lot in the office and it costs a quarter if you want any. The “Grill” for food – think again, it’s something you would find along side the road in a 7-11 or something. It’s in the same place that is the entrance to the pier, the same place you buy your bait and tackle for fishing, which also doubles as the ‘hotel check in lobby’. In today’s world, wifi is everywhere – BUT HERE. There is NO privacy on your balcony; the only separation is the typical wood balcony that is about 3 feet up from floor. At 165$ a night… I could of rented a beach house right here on Topsail. If you are just looking for a place to lie your head and you want to have beachfront view, and you don’t care about spending an arm and a leg, this place is for you. We wont stay here again, it was last minute, but the website is very misleading, think twice before you stay, there is NOT the simplest of luxuries included, only a bed, bathroom and the beach.

Room Tip: ask for an 'end' room, on the top floor is quietest.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nona75
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Jolly Roger Inn for one night and were pleased with the accommodations and value price. We loved the ocean-front suite because it had such easy beach access (we didn't even have to go down any stairs). On our way home, one of the staff members called to tell us that we left our i-pad and that they would priority mail it free of charge. It came very quickly! What an honest staff willing to go the extra mile for their guests!

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite because it has two bedrooms and our child could go to bed earlier than us! P...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenna M
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I cannot comment on the hotel (having not been a guest there) but the pier and restaurant are great. The staff is friendly, and the food is surprisingly good. The BLT is actually really good. Of course there's the long gorgeous pier which is great for walking, fishing or just sitting and gazing out at the sea. There are benches all along and they also have an air conditioned sitting area inside with large glass windows to enjoy the view. The pier is usually littered with people fishing, so expect some fishy smell (wouldn't be the ocean without that, right?) but it is a great place to just relax. The best part about all those people fishing, it's a long walk over the ocean surrounded by people in a good mood! The evening especially is a great walk, just listening to the ocean (great place for part of a date night). You can get some great photos of the island from here and if you like to fish they have a reasonably priced shop to help aid you in that. I've fished off it many times, and even caught a shark once (oops!). I am surprised to see so many negative reviews, always a wonderful experience! There is a ticket price for utilizing the pier; but it's reasonable and worth it in my opinion.
TIPS: During the middle of the summer; during the day, it can get very hot on the pier, direct sun, humidity and wood. If you are heat sensitive I would recommend going earlier or later in the day. Bring a few bucks for a cold drink if you are going during the hottest part of the day. They sell cold drinks inside. If you have seafood allergies, be careful sitting on benches or touching railings as you may come in contact with fishing bait, or an area where a fish was caught.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TruthInNumbers
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

A nice place to grab a snack or lunch if you at the pier or just exploring the island. The place hasn't changed in 20 years and that's a good thing. I always stop in when I'm on topsail. Take a walk on the pier or just watch the waves.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank show1969
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The beach, the location and the pier are all amazing. However, the rooms may or may not be. In 2012 we stayed in the newer building (tall one to the left.) The room was a little outdated but was nice for the most part. The second year I requested the same room. There was an error and they put us in what we call "the old fishing shack." The room we were given was horrible. They never changed the sheets once and we rarely had new towels when we requested them Every day (after the maids *cleaned*) I had to go the the office and get additional toilet paper (we were not provided with toilet paper ever by the maids) and/or a broom to sweep the floor. There was hair in the tub (all over the tub) when we got there, cobwebs and dirt in all of the corners of the rooms. Sad. The maid service was so horrible in July 2013 that my family decided they cannot chance it again to go back. BTW- We LOVE the mom and pop hotels/motels and the food was great at the pier.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank M R
Reviewed 20 September 2013

First, I want to make it clear that my husband and I really like staying in the old school "mom & pop" hotels/motels. In fact one of our favorite places is the Oak Park Inn in Waynesville, NC... But that's a story for another forum. The bottom line: we were not expecting the Four Seasons.
When I called to make the reservation, the woman was somewhat abrupt, but I overlooked that and booked 3 nights. When we checked in, a man was behind the counter and he was none too pleasant either; in fact, he was combative and rude. Then, the price that I was quoted over the phone was higher than what it actually turned out to be. $115 a night before taxes - in the off season. (unfortunately though, we were stuck, as you have to give a TWO WEEK notice if you want to cancel, otherwise the full amount will be charged to you)
Now for the best part, the room: As many others have mentioned, the view is nice & access to the beach is very convenient. There are very limited "amenities": no shampoo/conditioner (although there was soap). I could've overlooked this IF the room had been clean. The bathroom door would not close due to being warped and dragging across the linoleum. The shower curtain was streaked with mildew. The mat in the bathtub was brown. There was a small coffee pot that looked like it had been used out on the beach, but no coffee. There was no iron/ironing board. There was no hair dryer. Our room was an efficiency with a small fridge & stove, sink, etc. The refrigerator reeked of some unknown thing. There were plastic cups but they appeared to be permanently stained by something & plastic that was once clear was a brownish yellow. The air conditioners blew semi-cool, damp mildewy air. The first night, I took a shower before going out to dinner - by the time I had dried my hair, put on makeup, got dressed - the bottoms of my feet were BLACK with dirt from the disgusting carpet - which we later discovered was also damp in some places. There were signs posted everywhere that absolutely NO SMOKING was allowed, even on the balcony, but our neighbors were smoking constantly in their room & on the balcony. You could smell it in our room.
We forfeited our money & checked out early.
It's a real shame, as this place could be nice with an upfit, but I don't get the feeling the owners want to put any money in this place.

Room Tip: My tip is to choose a room anywhere but The Jolly Roger.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#23 of 45 in Wilmington
Topsail Shores Inn
Topsail Shores Inn
#1 of 2 in Sneads Ferry

Been to Jolly Roger Inn & Pier? Share your experiences!