“A true gem in a small friendly town!!!”

1906 Pine Crest Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Tryon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2008

We continued our fall trip through the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains and discovered this charming B&B, about 45 minutes outside of Asheville. We heard about this property from a couple we met while touring the Biltmore, and decided to give it a try. Boy are we glad we did!! (Thanks Steve and Jane!) My wife and I both enjoy red wines, and were told that Pine Crest hosts a weekly wine society, where friendly locals come to enjoy an amazing wine list and excellent food. We couldn't have picked a better flight, as the theme was Cabs from Australia. We sampled 5 different cabs and bought several bottles to take with us. For dinner we had filet and duck entrees, both were EXCELLENT. The staff was extremely friendly (Thanks Carl and Linda!) and helped us plan a great weekend. At their suggestion we visited Pearson's Falls, a beautiful nature walk and waterfall about 10 minutes from the Inn, and enjoyed a hike at FENCE, the local equestrian nature center. Our accommodations were very clean and comfortable (we stayed in small cabin with a large jacuzzi and fireplace) and the entire weekend was very peaceful and relaxing. We will definitely return next time we get back up to the Carolinas!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2008

We wanted to express our gratitude here, after having read some negative reviews, for the wonderful hospitality shown to us at the Pine Crest Inn this past November. We want everyone to know that our experiences there couldn't have been better, and we suspect the authors of those reviews must be people you just can't please!

Since we've recently retired, we were elated to finally be able to travel last year, escape the crowds of South FL, and see the beauty of the NC mountains! The staff at the Pine Crest Inn were so helpful in pointing us in the direction of fun things to do, and breathtaking hikes in the mountains. It was a little challenging hiking to some of the more remote waterfalls, since we're out of shape and used to flat land, but well worth it! They were just spectacular!

We also thoroughly enjoyed a wine tasting one evening that the innkeeper held in one of their two dining rooms. He has assembled a fabulous wine program and his passion for wine was obvious as he guided us through the wines, sharing both education and excitement along the way. We stayed for dinner after the wine tasting and found the food and service to be equally wonderfully. As an example, my wife ordered a dish but asked to have a different sauce used instead of what was on the menu. Our server checked and said the kitchen would be happy to accommodate us. Not only was the substitution excellent, the chef came out during dessert to inquire if she had met our needs. She did and then some!!!

Our accommodations at The Pine Crest Inn couldn't have been nicer either! The room was extremely clean, the furnishings and décor were very tasteful and comfortable, and when combined with the fabulous customer service, we felt like we were truly being pampered! Now that's what a vacation is supposed to be like! Thank you to everyone at The Pine Crest Inn…not only will we be back, but our friends and family will no doubt be visiting soon too!

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 24 February 2008

My mother and I just got back from a trip to the 1906 Pine Crest Inn and we were terribly disappointed. Our room wass small, but adequate. The bed, however, was hard as a rock. I could barely sleep the first night because I was so uncomfortable. Breakfast the first day was fairly good--I had french toast, my mom had an omelette. The second day, though, our meal definitely left something to be desired--I think that they must make large batches of casseroles, freeze them, and then defrost them during their slower weekday meals. I had some sort of ham and cheese "bake" that was covered in a disgusting, flavorless gravy. My mom ordered baked, stuffed french toast, but it was more like baked, soggy mush. Yuck!
The Inn boasts that they serve afternoon port, sherry, and snacks--they did not have those either afternoon that we were there. When my mom and I went to the lobby to look for them, the people at the front desk looked at us like we were imposing on their time.
Finally, we had AAA and were supposed to get a discount. They initially charged my card for the full amount for one night, but said they would apply the discount when we checked out. A different girl checked me out (that was something else unusal--the entire time that we were there, we had different staff for everything--front desk and our meals--I think we saw 9 people in a span of two days) and said that the discount had been applied. Later as I looked at my bill I realized that it definitely had NOT been applied. So now, to top everything off, I have the unfortunate need to call them back and haggle for my money. It all just left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2008

This was my husband's first visit to a B&B. We stayed on Valentine's weekend, hoping for a romantic escape. I was so disappointed that it wasn't nearly as wonderful as I was expecting. I've been to numerous B&B's over the years. When I called the property to make reservations the woman on the phone was very nice and thoroughly recommended the Master room in Hunt Lodge. I'm not sure why. It was in terrible condition. The bathroom was especially awful. The tub surround was missing the stabilizing bar and there were several actual holes in it. There was a very tacky, guazy like piece of material over one of the windows. The quarter round at the tub area was moldy and in very bad condition. The sink area is only about 3' off the ground. Very awkward and uncomfortable for my 6' 2" husband. The bed was very uncomfortable and my sheets at home are better quality. At other places I've stayed they provided luscious thick terry robes laid out on the bed, with the bed turned down and delicious chocolates on the pillows. We were provided robes, but they were hanging in a closet in the bathroom area and were cheap cotton. No turn down, no chocolate, no feeling of warmth or welcome. I tried to turn on the gas fireplace and because there were no directions I accidentally put the pilot light out. I called the front desk and the owner came to fix it for me. The only reason I knew he was the owner was because I'd seen his picture and bio on the website. He didn't introduce himself at all. I introduced myself to him. Kind of awkward. Breakfast is included in the price of the room and it is delicious, but the waitress we had the first morning mumbled and avoided eye contact...very cold. The second morning we had a very nice boy as our waiter and he was articulate, but again not very friendly. Tea and cookies were set out, but cookies were kind of burned and hard. I was actually hoping for some hot tea choices, but the iced tea was okay. I was sorry not see coffee provided thru the morning. When we checked out on Sunday the coffee carafe was there and I got about a 1/2 cup out of it and that was cold. It would have been nice to have a cup for the ride home. I don't believe this a B&B we will return to. We loved the area tho! Tryon is a very quaint little town with wonderful hiking nearby and plenty of quaint little shops. Landrum is very close by and also a very nice little town to spend an afternoon browsing thru. Unless the Pine Crest does some extensive remodeling tho, we won't be going back. Just not enough bang for our buck.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travelRaleigh
Reviewed 17 February 2008

The Pinecrest has been an old favorite of ours for years -- my husband and I used to get away there when our kids were small and it was wonderful. We just got back from a Valentine's stay and I'm afraid it may be our last visit. Luckily, we reserved the Windsor, a room that was recently renovated, which was nice. Given the stale, mildewy smell in the entryway, I'm afraid an older room might have been less pleasant. The impression we got this time from the inn was that the Pinecrest still has the potential to be an amazing place, but the owners now are evidently just phoning it in. There was nothing special about our service and many things were obviously lacking. For example, my husband and I are writing a book together (ironically on travel (& beer)) so we decided to use the afternoon of the second day of our stay to lounge in our room, write, and enjoy the various ammenities of the inn, such as the advertised afternoon tea and then the port and sherry service later on in the day. When we showed up in the lobby looking for the tea we found nothing. We milled about a while hoping someone would notice but we were essentially ignored. I returned later in the afternoon hoping that at least a carafe of port might materialize, but again, nothing. Finally one of the restaurant waitpersons noticed me -- and this is in a very small lobby area, and asked if he could help me. I said that we were hoping to get a drink if the port was out or a glass of wine or beer if the bar was open. He said -- at 15 minutes until the designated time was up -- that they were "running a little late." He then proceded to go behind the bar and pour me a glass of port -- and that was it. Also, little things were lacking -- small things that individually mean nothing but together indicate that the owners must be cutting corners wherever they can -- and it shows. Not replacing our toiletries the next day so that we didn't have shampoo, for example; turn down one night, but not the other -- which was Valentine's night -- and then no sweet little mint or candy; the rose my husband had ordered for me was completely wilted when we arrived in our room; no ice availability; and a front room staff who seemed fairly ignorant of what one might expect from fine travel and accommodations. We were also disappointed that we never had the opportunity to meet the new ownwers -- never sw them anywhere -- which is so very different from the past owners who were always about offering conversation and advice on travel. It was all just so impersonal and cold.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chapinite
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We were looking for a quick weekend getaway and came across the Pine Crest Inn on the Internet. Although they are only about 20 minutes from our summer home, we felt like it was another world. We had nothing but wonderful experiences during our stay, from the ambiance of the room (Windsor) with a cozy fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and one of the most magnificent beds we have ever slept in, to the exceptional service and hospitality at the front desk and from the innkeeper, to the quiet and picturesque grounds and country setting, to the wonderful afternoon tea, evening port & sherry, and again, the exceptional customer service! The complimentary sodas and water in the mini-fridge were a nice surprise also. Our room was extremely clean, comfortable, and beautifully decorated and felt absolutely sumptuous after a day of hiking waterfalls in the area and nearby Chimney Rock Park and Lake Lure. So many fun and interesting things to see and do in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

We arrived late the first night so we didn't get to have dinner and what a mistake that was. Saturday night we ate in the Pine Crest's dining room and had a wonderful experience. The menu was a delightful blend of classic choices such as Fillet Mignon, fresh seafood (Black Carolina Grouper, Atlantic Grilled Salmon, & NC Mountain Rainbow Trout on this night) and some very creative dishes (an organic quail/chicken/turkey roulade). I ordered the Black Angus Fillet Mignon (MR of course) and it may have the most tender, flavorful piece of beef I have ever eaten. My husband had the grouper and it was perfectly cooked with a delightful sauce and an array of beautiful fresh vegetables. The service was excellent and the wine list was the largest I've ever seen and we selected a nice bottle of Syrah, but their selection of single-malt scotch was what really impressed us. My husband loves great scotch and found several selections he hadn't seen anywhere else.

I highly recommend the Pine Crest Inn! It is a remarkably pleasant change from the ordinary. We hated to leave and most definitely will be back!!

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Here2BePampered
Reviewed 15 November 2007

We selected the Pine Crest Inn as the location for our 7 day intensive training because of its casual elegance, great food, and quiet serene setting. It is an unusual property because of their ability to provide conference center amenities in the Inn-like setting. It was a phenomenal experience. We were so taken care of; we could just attend to the training which went perfectly. Every staff member was kind and authentically interested in serving our needs. Unusual requests were always met with a “Yes”.

The food was delightful and varied enough to not get boring due to our longer stay. It was fun to walk into town at lunch and the Inn provided a list of quality places to eat in the area. We had dinner 3 of the 4 evenings that the restaurant was open. Each dinner was one “moaning” experience after another! Chef Amanda came to our table each evening to check on us. She is a delightful and grounded woman who is not only a well trained chef, but adds Joy to every meal with her enthusiasm. She really has a way with vegetables; the sides were varied and extremely tasty.

The rooms were very comfortable and spacious, with wonderful linens. The property was not in “perfect” condition, but you could tell that they were in the process of many repairs that must be constant on a 100 year old property with many buildings.

The location of the Inn on a hill side older neighborhood gave us plenty of easy and wonderful walking opportunities.

We loved our experience and are planning future trainings at the Pine Crest!!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank PossibilitiesTrainer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tryon
Days Inn Columbus Tryon
Hampton Inn Hendersonville
Hampton Inn Hendersonville
#1 of 11 in Hendersonville
Saluda Mountain Lodge

Been to 1906 Pine Crest Inn? Share your experiences!