“Memories Made”
Review of Mast General Store

Mast General Store
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: An old-fashioned country store with many unique items for sale.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had been here before but our son who is 15 hadn't since he was very small. You can go to the one in downtown Boone but it has nowhere the effect of this location. We drove up last weekend and the wooden floors,the smells of he building, the little band playing old bluegrass music takes you back to another time. After we walked around for a few I finally saw my sons eyes light up just as mine do. We live about 2 and half hours away and it was the perfect road trip. You will see things you cant find anywhere else and its just another great thing I hope NC never loses.

All reviews
"blast from the past"
in 7 reviews
"by the pound"

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We decided to swing by the Mast General store on a hunch that it would be an interesting place to visit. And I'm glad we did. You can tell its a very old building but thats what gives it that warm country feeling. They have everything from clothing to cast iron cookware to ice cold soda bottled in the old long neck style. We had a great time viewing all of the littlw knickknacks they had that you don't see in any ordinary store. We will definitely stop in again next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This store is step back in time with it's old fashioned post office with the old fashioned post office boxes you can see through, its huge pot bellied stove that heats the whole store, huge old cash registers, and even a safe that was used and stolen in the 1960's. It is also full of new stuff that you can purchase. Toys, candy, books, decorative items, T-shirts, canned jellies, pet items, and many many more things. We purchased oil and wicks for our antique oil lamps, candy, lip balm, bottled soft drink, and at the register homemade apple pies. If it had been 2 weeks earlier I probably would've done a lot of my Christmas shopping there. There is something for everyone. It's a fun place to visit even if you don't buy.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I visited this store twice and loved it. At the first time I wasn't aware of the historical value but I was amazed and had never seen something quite like this before. I am not a big fan of antiques whatsoever, but I really like the whole unique design. The fact that such a small old shop could sell A LOT of things, old and new, and hold a bunch of visitors amazed me. What else...oh, I like the squeaky sounds from the wooden stairs... :) The only down side was their smelly rest rooms, too many visitors stop by to use their rest room and not enough cleaning time I guess

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 January 2014

There are several of these stores, but the one is Valle Crucis is the orginial! My family and I went twice while we were in the area, and enjoyed walking around the creaky wood floors, stepping back in time looking at old fashioned toys, candies, jams, etc. Other reviewers have mentioned they feel the merchandice is over-priced but I completely disagree! For example, I bought a jar of jalapeño rasperry jam and it was $4.99. Any famer's market will charge more than that. I got a loaf of home-baked THAT day sourdough bread, for like $3.00. Just go. Even if you don't buy anything (IMPOSSIBLE!!) you will enjoy the atmosphere and the employees are all very friendly! BTW, don't mess with the ancient mailboxes-THEY ARE REAL! My children each got a glass bottle of soda and sat in rocking chairs and played checkers by the original furnace. The whole place is awesome :)